POP or PO

snakeislandboy

I booked my anniversary trip in the POP for Dec., but I'm having second thoughts. I am trying to decide if I should change to PO. We have both been to WDW quite a few times before and honeymooned in the AKL two years ago (too bad I can't afford that every year). We're looking for a week long anniversary/Christmas time vacation, but one that will not break the bank. I know that PO will cost an additional $375-$400. Is PO going to be worth the extra $400, or should I stay with POP and use the $400 for something else? Any comments welcome.

RiversideBunny

That is the eternal question. How much of a room do you really need?

Some people say go as cheaply as possible. You only need the room to shower and sleep.
Some say why not be more comfortable. Then the question becomes 'to what degree'.

We always stay at Port Orleans Riverside.
Here's our logic: It's worth moving up one level to get the benefits but it's not worth it to move up to a Deluxe and pay a lot more.

One year we had to stay at Pop Century because we waited too late and all the Moderate rooms were gone.
Pop Century is a nice place but to us it seemed like something was missing; we missed POR.

In terms of practical things that you get for the extra money, they include these:

Two sinks instead of one.
Free refrigerator.
Much nicer bus stops.
Less crowds.
Much better landscaping.
The rooms are a little larger by about 20 sq. ft.
Overall a more quiet and relaxing place.

Port Orleans has the boat ride to Downtown Disney. That's nice.

Just MHO.
Tks.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I booked my anniversary trip in the POP for Dec., but I'm having second thoughts. I am trying to decide if I should change to PO. We have both been to WDW quite a few times before and honeymooned in the AKL two years ago (too bad I can't afford that every year). We're looking for a week long anniversary/Christmas time vacation, but one that will not break the bank. I know that PO will cost an additional $375-$400. Is PO going to be worth the extra $400, or should I stay with POP and use the $400 for something else? Any comments welcome.
If you're looking for a romantic resort, then definitely book PO (I prefer POR). To me it's as beautiful as the deluxes, with many of the same advantages.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Personally, I'd make the switch without thinking twice. Actually, (and no offense, really) I would've booked PO-R in the first place. IMHO, it's one of the most romantic resorts on property, regardless of Value/Mod/Deluxe/DVC classification.

If money is really an issue (whether you need to cut corners or you believe "Why spend more when you have to?"), or if you're the type who strictly hits the parks from dusk to dawn and only use the resort to shower & sleep, I might be inclined to say stay in Pop. Especially since, no matter what, holidays are crazy in any WDW resort except maybe OKW & SSR. But for that, I'd also suggest moving up to PO-R. There may be times the parks are so crazy, you'll just want to spend time poolside (5 extra quiet pools at PO-R, BTW), or doing recreational activities at your resort, and you'll have more options at PO-R

Upvote 0

foldmama

Just as a comparison, I just booked December 3rd to December 10th at POR for $116.00 per night with the AAA discount.:sohappy: I was not able to get the AAA discount at POFQ. The discount saved me about $245.00!!

Upvote 0
I'm going to stick to pretty much what every one else is saying. I've stayed at both and loved both. I loved PO for the ambience and layout, it's really pretty, and i love Pop for its practicality and fun theming. As an anniversay i would definitely say PO, it's very quaint and would be great place to spend time. The only reason i'd go with pop if i were you would be to save money and just be more practical. In my eyes the best for you would be PO, but enjoy your time no matter what! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

WED10IA

I always stay at Port Orleans French Quarter but during the remodel had to stay at Port Orleans Riverside and I will say it is alot more spread out than PO French Quarter but both are very nice.

Upvote 0

LeeSeeBabe

When my boyfriend and I go, it is usually between POP and PO (R or FQ). The theming at POP is great, but I agree that there is a little something missing, and I can't really put my finger on it. POFQ feels almost magical to me. Disney does its job, it is SO DISNEY, that you think you are in another world! But, we only get PO when the 'rents pay a little bit. So, typically it's POP. I really don't see much of a difference in the rooms. That is not really where the difference is to me.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom