Pop Century

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
You guys see the pics Steve posted of Pop Century?! It looks great!! I love it! All the disney characters...flower power...Pac Man! It looks FAR superior to the All-Stars!

space42

I personally can't stand the site of the "resort". To make matters worse, its one of the first Disney things you see if you take the Osceola Parkway in to WDW.

I think they should take Pop Century, put up Dinorama in the parking lot of it, and move the entire mess over to 192 or I-Drive. At least it would fit the theme of "Tacky roadside tourist trap" :D

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by space42
I personally can't stand the site of the "resort". To make matters worse, its one of the first Disney things you see if you take the Osceola Parkway in to WDW.

I think they should take Pop Century, put up Dinorama in the parking lot of it, and move the entire mess over to 192 or I-Drive. At least it would fit the theme of "Tacky roadside tourist trap" :D

What are you talking about??? The resort looks amazing. The props look great and the overall feel seems amazing. I don't think you have judged it fairly enough.

foxfire

I'm reserving judgement until it's completed, though I doubt I'll ever stay there. I stayed @ the A.S. Music one time and it was a nightmare from the very beginning. True, it is a "value" resort, but aside from the flashy(though well designed) Pop icons, to me it looks like a glorified motel.

DigitalDisney

The All-Star hotels aren't that bad. I used to think that they were horrible, but my opinion changed. But, for some reason, Pop Century looks horrendous in comparison.

AJAX

No offense.....

But I think it's hideous. The cut-out catch phrases on the facade from various decades, in all their day-glo splendor, are just plain tacky, IMHO.

We're a POR/POFQ type of crew. To us, Pop Century looks like a Holiday Inn on acid.

monorail256

I think the outside of the resort looks nice.. but the inside.. i am kinda dissapointed with. It looks bland to me.. I guess I shouldn't judge it until I stay there...Where in the world did he get those pics anyways?! lol:hammer:

adr315

Im also wondering who got a hold of those pics...... what i noticed though, was that the 80s section (pacman) and the 90s section ("Keepin IT Real" and "Yo!") seem to be relatively complete...... So MAYBE when Pop Century opens, it will be completed..... Since it was supposed to open in October with only the 50's and 60's, theyve done a lot of work since then...... Or maybe it will open with the 50's - 90's, and later will add the 00's - 40's...... anyone know?

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
I used to think the All-Star resorts were tacky. But after staying there my opinion changed. THey are nice resorts. Hopefully I'll be able to stay at Pop Century in the near future and experience it for myself.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Some people cannot afford to stay at the Grand Floridian every time they go to Disney World, and I think this is a great extension of the magic from the parks. It's not supposed to be a deluxe hotel, people. Take it for what it is. Considering they charge $85 a night to stay there, I think it's extremely well-done...much better than the All-Stars. The place has an awesome entrance with palm trees down the center of the road and it has its own lake. I think this resort will be much better than the All-Stars, and it will help dilute the population of snotty people in the parks who stay at deluxe hotels 6 weeks every year. I know college students who are broke will like this...it's a way to get to disney if you aren't incredibly rich or if you don't feel like selling your house, kids, and cars to get there. Also, regardless of if you do not like the style, these resorts are tremendously popular and make more money for the company than any of the other resorts because these resorts actually fill up. Therefore, the company gets more money and you get more new rides. I personally have never had a bad time at the All-Stars and think it's insane when people spend $450/night to stay at a place where they spend 8 hours each day, all of them sleeping.

monorail256

the value resorts are very nice... i was very impressed! do you know if from those pics that those rooms are actually done? they just dont seem as colorful... o well... its disney.. itll be nice :)

WDW Imagineer

Like many have said so far, POP Century is no more then just a value resort. I remember not having too high of a opinion on the all-star resorts but once I stayed their my perception changed.

Like many people who visit the parks they are not enthusiets and they dont look at many of those fine details like we do, and to them staying on disney property "in the center of the magic" makes there trip that much better.:animwink:

space42

Some people cannot afford to stay at the Grand Floridian every time they go to Disney World, and I think this is a great extension of the magic from the parks. It's not supposed to be a deluxe hotel, people. Take it for what it is. Considering they charge $85 a night to stay there, I think it's extremely well-done...much better than the All-Stars

Hey, I agree. I think its great that Disney is providing people who cant afford to stay at the Grand Floridian an afforable alternative (I've stayed at the All Stars). But why does inexpensive have to equal cheap and tacky? I'm sure they could have come up with something more pleasing to the eye. I suppose this is just a taste issue though. I think I could deal with the pop icons if they weren't on day-glow buildings with "phat" "do the funky chicken" "yo!" and "keepin' it real" plastered all over the buildings.

Its like those word association thingies in grade school. What one of the following does not belong?
1. Walt Disney World
2. Quality themed entertainment for the entire family.
3. Constantly exceeding your expectations.
4. Magic!
5. Cheap and tacky.

see? it doesn't fit :lol:

The worst part about this is you can see it from the road and from the CBR.

niteobsrvr

Lets not forget that most of us perceive each of those decades as cheap and tacky. I mean how many of you would wear a white polyester suit or a leisure suit (ie the 70's) today?

I am sure judging from the pictures each room section is themed to the prevalent styles of its decade also. So in effect we get a snapshot of american life from each decade preserved in 3D.

As for being able to see it from the Highway, well could we please give the trees a chance to grow.

And now for an interesting point of view! I think everyone should really take a look at the difference between the value resorts and the moderates. Except for the added recreation like boat rental, bike rental, etc. The resorts are nearly the same structurally. The only difference is in number of floors per building and size of the buildings. When you get right down to it, the buildings at Coranado, Port Orleans, Pop Century, Carribean, and all stars are nearly the same. The only difference is facades. The value reorts are outlandishly Iconic and the moderates are themed in a regional flavor.

On a further note, when I was on a tour of the AK lodge last year, a member of the resorts opening team informed us that most of rooms on property measure out to about 354 square feet of living space. Now think about that when you look at the all star vs the other resorts.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
you're right. By the way, a lot of people like what you are labelling cheap and tacky. I think the term "cheap" is a bit unfounded anyway...I don't think twenty 50-foot statues could possibly be cheap. In fact, I think a lot of thought and research went into this resort. I give Imagineers a lot of credit...most would like to FORGET the decade of their childhood:) The Imagineers actually researched each decade long and hard to get the right feel and style to each section (each section is furnished differently, has different catch-phrases, different dancing, different icons, and different music). As for tacky...that's a matter of opinion. Personally, I look forward to the increased culture from getting a glimpse of every decade (high school history courses do not come close...) and I think this seems like a fun resort. Am I getting ahead of myself? Perhaps...but I like what I've seen.

DigitalDisney

Why can't Disney build a value resort with the theming level of at least CBR, CS, or DXL. It wouldn't need as nice of a pool, bus transportation could be lower priority, and other deluxe / moderate amenities could be scaled back. But a resort like this could easy be at near full occupancy year-round.

AS / PC are a lot of fun for the kids. I always see them running around the various large objects scattered throughout the resorts. But for the older people, I don't think there's much appeal there. They could really go for a Disney-level experience on a value budget.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I agree that these aren't resorts for older people, but they are great for familier or..."kids at heart". I think they do have disney magic, however--they have that "larger than life" quality that every disney park and resort has.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by DigitalDisney
Why can't Disney build a value resort with the theming level of at least CBR, CS, or DXL. It wouldn't need as nice of a pool, bus transportation could be lower priority, and other deluxe / moderate amenities could be scaled back. But a resort like this could easy be at near full occupancy year-round.

Why would they build a value that was like a moderate?? That is the point of having the different cattegories. If you want a resort like CBR then you have to stay there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom