Pop Century

Lance

Kyle, I'm glad you brought this up, cause I took a look at the pics, and I think it looks great! I think I'm gonna have to experience it myself.

I think it's gonna be a huge success. I love the whole theming!

cymbaldiva

IMHO, the pics look pretty cool - I'm not sure if it's something I could look at all of the time, but I guess I could stand it <g!> for vacation! Any word on the food courts?

Invero

Originally posted by space42
I personally can't stand the site of the "resort". To make matters worse, its one of the first Disney things you see if you take the Osceola Parkway in to WDW.

Just so you know... Hordiculture has only started with the landscaping. I can pretty much promise you that in a few months, you will barely (if at all) be able to see Pop Century from the roads. Disney does very well at hiding things and making size and placement seem different than what they really are.

As for all those people who think Pop Century & All Stars are tacky... you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But, let me share mine, and see if it might make sense. I see it from two perspectives.

First off, Disney is all about Family. And what do families bring? Kids! :) Now... as a 5 year old boy... Would you rather stay in some New Orleans themed resort... or would you rather stay in a Buzz Lightyear themed resort? That kid is going to go WILD over staying with Buzz Lightyear! Kids love the All Stars... they love seeing those icons...

Now, for my second perspective, as a young adult... I'm not going to say that the buildings are beautiful or gorgeous or whatnot. What I do think they are is FUN. That's what Disney is all about!! I mean, I think it'd be cool for my parents and I to stay in like the 50's or 60's rooms... they'd remember back to when they were younger, they'd have fun there, and I'd have fun too.

Elegant? Certainly not. Whimsicle and fun? Definetly!

Invero

Originally posted by DigitalDisney
Why can't Disney build a value resort with the theming level of at least CBR, CS, or DXL. It wouldn't need as nice of a pool, bus transportation could be lower priority, and other deluxe / moderate amenities could be scaled back. But a resort like this could easy be at near full occupancy year-round.

Actually... The All-Star's receive better transportation than the Grand Floridian, which is 4x more expensive.

Originally posted by DigitalDisney
AS / PC are a lot of fun for the kids. I always see them running around the various large objects scattered throughout the resorts. But for the older people, I don't think there's much appeal there. They could really go for a Disney-level experience on a value budget.

Just because one's body is XX years old... doesn't mean they're not a kid at heart. :) And who's to say they don't provide a Disney Level experience already? Quite frankly, I think they do. I mean, they're bringing Disney back to the hotel with the guests... in larger than life forms. Granted, they're not for everyone... But the place is always packed. I'd be guessing Disney did something right.

As the ole saying goes... "Diff'rent stroke for diff'rent folks!"

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
It's adjacent to Caribbean Beach Resort. It's actually a pretty nice location...5 minutes from pretty much everything but MK...but, you are generally either close to MK and nothing else or close to a lot of other stuff but not MK...I prefer the latter:)

Just to give my two cents.

I agree with alot of you on this, You have disney with the larger than life effects, structures, and rides. would you not also what larger than life hotels. I mean that is what every resort on the property is, Larger Than Life. A i think it is cool how they can bring that to everything they do.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Personally I really like the look of the Pop Century resort, I think it's very creative. However, if it's anything like the All Star Resorts, then it'll be nothing more than a VERY prettied-up hotel like Super 8 or some other cheap-o place. I like the look of the All Star Resorts too, but I've heard that the hallways outside the rooms get crowded and noisy, there's too far of a walk from here to there, and so on. Hopefully PC won't be anything like that, but I'd still like to check it out anyway. I may not stay there, since I like to stay close to the Magic Kingdom, but it definitely appears to be worth checking out.

CDavid

I like the look of the All Star Resorts too, but I've heard that the hallways outside the rooms get crowded and noisy, there's too far of a walk from here to there, and so on.

After several All-Star vacations I've yet to find excessive noise on the sidewalks outside our room, even a 1st floor poolside room in Calypso (although there was a bit more noise in that particular room, it wasn't bad). The walk from the farthest rooms to the Food Court or bus stop is actually much closer than any of the moderates except French Quarter; the All-Star resorts have a more compact design than CSR, CBR, or Riverside.

However, my fear is Pop Century will be large and spread out (much like it's CBR neighbor), negating the "compact size" advantage of WDW's value resorts. While I do like the All-Star theming, some of Pop Century's "decorations" are just plain tacky. The catch phrases along the tops of the buildings are the worst offenders; the oversize Roger Rabbitt and Big Wheel may not equal Polynesian-level theming, but they at least do speak of "Disney Magic". As Fantasia Boi stated, Pop Century is "whimsical and fun", and the oversize icons do convey that message.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a value resort with more "elegant" theming, though.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by CDavid
That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a value resort with more "elegant" theming, though.

As far as I know, "elegant" means money. I don't think you could have "cheap elegant". Besides, that's why the moderate and deluxe resorts are there: if you want MORE comfort, MORE silence, MORE elegane, you should pay MORE.
Personally, Pop looks GREAT. It's nice to see Roger back. And I loved AS Music. We're staying in Movies, unless Pop opens in time.

WigglyWiggins

I personally think that the all-stars are great, sure they might not have the elegance of some of the moderates or deluxes but they are affordable, and i think you get your moneys worth espeically considering you get the ultimate park hopper pass with the hotel room. I also think they are great for kids...would an 8 year old appreciate the dtail of the grand floridean? nope. Would they appreciate a twenty foot tall woody? hell yeah! I think Pop century looks fun, espeically for fammilies with kiddies who might not be spending a huge amount of time in the room anyway. I myself prefer the resorts such as POR and i really love the swan and dolphin, but i think in building the all stars, disney gave a lot more people the chance to enjoy the disney magic of staying onsite.

Invero

Originally posted by DogsRule!
It's adjacent to Caribbean Beach Resort. It's actually a pretty nice location...5 minutes from pretty much everything but MK...but, you are generally either close to MK and nothing else or close to a lot of other stuff but not MK...I prefer the latter:)

You're right... PC and CBR have great locations... quite close to DTD, and The Studios... not too far from DAK or Epcot... and MK really isn't that much further, either. Although, I do have to say... Blizzard Beach will kill the DAK run... instead of a 5 min drive on Osceola to DAK... it'll be a 10-15 min run on Buena Vista Drive...

You know... I've seen a lot of people say that (for example), the All-Stars are SOOOOO far away from the Magic Kingdom. And yes, they are the furthest resort from the MK... however... despite WDW being quite large, the travel time really isn't that bad. In my bus, I can get from the All-Stars to the Magic Kingdom in about 13-15 minutes... and that is doing the speed limit the entire way. I know when you're all psyched about going to see Mickey... or when you're pooped from playing all day... 15 mins can feel like an eternity... but it's really not that bad.

DonickCo

Originally posted by CDavid

After several All-Star vacations I've yet to find excessive noise on the sidewalks outside our room, even a 1st floor poolside room in Calypso (although there was a bit more noise in that particular room, it wasn't bad). The walk from the farthest rooms to the Food Court or bus stop is actually much closer than any of the moderates except French Quarter; the All-Star resorts have a more compact design than CSR, CBR, or Riverside.

However, my fear is Pop Century will be large and spread out (much like it's CBR neighbor), negating the "compact size" advantage of WDW's value resorts. While I do like the All-Star theming, some of Pop Century's "decorations" are just plain tacky. The catch phrases along the tops of the buildings are the worst offenders; the oversize Roger Rabbitt and Big Wheel may not equal Polynesian-level theming, but they at least do speak of "Disney Magic". As Fantasia Boi stated, Pop Century is "whimsical and fun", and the oversize icons do convey that message.

I don’t think it will be too spread out. The bus stops are more in the middle. Rather then the perimeter. The walk shouldn’t be worse then the all stars.

-DonickCo

Attachments

• 1pc_busstop.jpg
    1pc_busstop.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 110

CDavid

DonickCo,

Thanks for the image. It does look more compact than I was expecting, which is certainly good news. Also, the mere presence of the lake arguably elevates Pop Century a step-above the All-Stars, which are landlocked.

MKCustodial,

Yes, elegance requires money, or at least the impression of it. However, class, taste, and style also play a part in the overall impression (elegant or "plain") of a given hotel, and whatever anyone's personal opinon of PC, it's clear it fails to measure up for many people. For the same budget, it's possible to convey either an impression of elegance or a "plain look" (sometimes a "cheap" look) in a resort, and who wouldn't prefer the former?

What I'm really thinking is a hotel in the value price range but with moderate-style theming. Oversize icons are not the only way to "theme" (decorate) a value resort. For instance, for a 20th century resort, architectural styles have evolved during the decades, and the buildings construction could have reflected this to great effect. No, this would not be anywhere near the level of the AKL or Polynesian (nor should it, or else why pay extra for a deluxe resort), but more "elegant", if you will, than a huge bowling pin. Again, I like Pop Century (I wish it would open this summer) as Disney has designed it, but with four oversize-icon value resorts on property, it's time for something different.

niteobsrvr

I have a feeling you will all get exactly what you ask for which is no more value resorts. For that matter, no more resorts at all after Pop Century except for Vacation Club Timeshares.

I think Disney may have learned a valueable lesson after the tourist slowdown over the past 7 months. More Hotel rooms means more exposure to the tides of the economy. Vacation Club Properties lack that exposure in that they sell out very quickly and and are for a 40 year period that includes maintenance fees every year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom