Pop Century Room Rehab

lentesta

Premium Member
This doesn't help comparing to off-property, but Touring Plans compared all the Disney room sizes.
http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/09/12/what-you-get-for-the-money-resorts/

resortcomp1.jpg

True story: I used red, green, and purple duct tape to outline those rooms in my driveway for the photo, then filled in with Photoshop. One of my neighbors saw the tape, bedsheets, and luggage, came outside and asked if I was feeling okay.

wdwfan22

Everyone has their own expectations of what they need in a hotel and what is important to them. I have stayed in all levels of Resorts. From Pop to Contemporary and my family will be traveling back to Pop this November. I cannot beat the price. We are never in the room except for showers/rest/sleep. For us, we will stay 2 days longer and stay at Pop vs a moderate or deluxe that is twice as much. When I stayed in at pop in January it was not loud at all. Very quiet. I really enjoyed Pop and would recommend it. The one downfall is that there are only double beds vs. queens. But honestly it is up to each individual family if certain hotels are right for them.

True but the individual was asking for opinions and I offered mine. Vacation is all about relaxing and having a good time. I wouldn't call Pop Century relaxing at all. When we come back at the end of the day we want to relax so the resort is more important to us. If it comes down to budget then by all means they should go with what they can afford. I'll be back next week and am staying at Polynesian. Just a personal choice.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Pop Century rooms are 260 square feet. Disney's Coronado Springs are around 314 square feet. I stayed at Pop Century one time when everything else on property was booked. I will never stay in a value resort again. They are cramped, loud and ugly in my opinion. We typically stay in the Deluxe Resorts but have stayed at the moderate level as well. I would go with Coronado again if it was me.
Thanks for your insight. You have definitely corroborated what I have heard about them. I understand everyone's experience may vary but I definitely will take this into consideration. Thanks again!

Raineman

I am having a hard time understanding the complaints regarding the room in a Value resort. Seriously, what do you expect with the lowest tier of resorts? You can't get Deluxe type accommodations for Value prices. If you are someone who likes to spend time at the resort, and in their rooms, then you will most likely be disappointed with the rooms at Pop. If you only use the room to sleep, bathe and store your stuff, then any room on property is more than sufficient. Let's get realistic here people.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I am having a hard time understanding the complaints regarding the room in a Value resort. Seriously, what do you expect with the lowest tier of resorts? You can't get Deluxe type accommodations for Value prices. If you are someone who likes to spend time at the resort, and in their rooms, then you will most likely be disappointed with the rooms at Pop. If you only use the room to sleep, bathe and store your stuff, then any room on property is more than sufficient. Let's get realistic here people.

The fact that at $120+ a night for a "value" resort isn't a value anymore.

COProgressFan

The fact that at $120+ a night for a "value" resort isn't a value anymore.

That's my biggest gripe about the values now. I think they're right nice resorts, but certainly not worth that price point.

I don't think anyone is expecting luxury at the "value" resorts. It is expected that the rooms will be smaller and there will be fewer, basic amenities.

But all levels, you should expect clean, well-maintained rooms with comfortable beds, working tv, functional bath areas, an overall well-maintained resort, and friendly and helpful employees. There is also an intangible "Disney touch" which adds to the price.

I don't think the value resorts are terrible, but for many folks choosing an off property hotel means you can get all of the above mentioned things in higher caliber resorts (and then some) at prices significantly lower than what Disney's most basic rooms cost. That is a consideration for many visitors. "Value" is a judgement each guest has to make.

Goofyernmost

I have no problem with Pop...all we ever do is sleep there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I went alone on a solo trip and still found it uncomfortably small. It didn't help that I requested a refrigerator for the room, at the time it was $10.00 per night extra, and the only place that they could put it was near the door and I couldn't get the door completely open with it there. I had to go in sideways. I was trying to figure out how a family of 4 makes it work. Do they have to take turns breathing? ;) Anyway, it is just my opinion and the "we only sleep there" is exactly the same argument that I use to justify staying offsite and much less expensive locations with much bigger rooms and no need to pay huge prices for food. Do I need a vehicle for that? Yup, and since I would require one anyway, it is not even a consideration, and still comes out cheaper anyway.:)

ScottKC

I love the Pop, the new rooms look intriguing. Off site hotels may provide a lower price, but I think if you factor in the excellent Disney Transport System(or included Parking If you desire), the Disney touches, the pools, the food courts & gift shops not to mention the resort fees a lot of the other hotels tack on then the Disney Value Resorts are still a worthwhile option, provided you can live with a small room.

Goofyernmost

I love the Pop, the new rooms look intriguing. Off site hotels may provide a lower price, but I think if you factor in the excellent Disney Transport System(or included Parking If you desire), the Disney touches, the pools, the food courts & gift shops not to mention the resort fees a lot of the other hotels tack on then the Disney Value Resorts are still a worthwhile option, provided you can live with a small room.
Sorry, but, every place I have ever stayed has a pool. It's water! I don't want to pay extra for "Disney touches" because some of those touches are less instead of more. Less choice on TV stations, less room in the room, more time waiting for buses, more costly. You cannot swing a dead mouse without being near a gift shop in anyplace when you are on property, and the worst food I every had was at the food court in POP. And it was more expensive then where I stayed offsite. Per day more then enough to pay for a car rental and parking charges, so no, resort fees that aren't included in the cheaper per day rates. I don't stay a 5 star places, but, surely Disney Value Resorts are not really anymore then 2 or 3 star accommodations. So, all that like to do the Disney sequester route, fine, I don't enjoy the constant feeling that there is a giant vacuum cleaner just above my head sucking every single dollar that I happen to have. I'd rather share it. Just me, but, I have yet to find a reason to do otherwise.

mguimond1990

We're going the week after thanksgiving. Its probably unlikely, but itd be cool to get a refurbished room. Either way we got the room for $91/night so im not gonna complain :)

G00fyDad

I don't think anyone is expecting luxury at the "value" resorts. It is expected that the rooms will be smaller and there will be fewer, basic amenities.

But all levels, you should expect clean, well-maintained rooms with comfortable beds, working tv, functional bath areas, an overall well-maintained resort, and friendly and helpful employees. There is also an intangible "Disney touch" which adds to the price.

I don't think the value resorts are terrible, but for many folks choosing an off property hotel means you can get all of the above mentioned things in higher caliber resorts (and then some) at prices significantly lower than what Disney's most basic rooms cost. That is a consideration for many visitors. "Value" is a judgement each guest has to make.

Not necessarily. We just stayed at the Hilton in St. Louis and the room was horrible. It was supposed to be a higher-end hotel and the lobby looked it but the room was a mess. Wallpaper peeling, rust on the light fixtures (and not just a little bit), hard beds, the bathroom door swung open and hit the toilet and wouldn't go any further, etc. Sometimes when you pay for Deluxe you get lower than Value.

This looks like EXACTLY the room we stayed in. It may very well be THE room we had (exact same view) and it looks nice here, but it was horrible.

HH_2bedarchview_13_675x359_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

COProgressFan

Not necessarily. We just stayed at the Hilton in St. Louis and the room was horrible. It was supposed to be a higher-end hotel and the lobby looked it but the room was a mess. Wallpaper peeling, rust on the light fixtures (and not just a little bit), hard beds, the bathroom door swung open and hit the toilet and wouldn't go any further, etc. Sometimes when you pay for Deluxe you get lower than Value.

This looks like EXACTLY the room we stayed in. It may very well be THE room we had (exact same view) and it looks nice here, but it was horrible.

View attachment 153277

I guess that's the point. It's all subjective. I've been in some "decent" hotels that cost $79 and those that cost $300. I've also been to those hotels with beautiful grounds and lobbies but dumpy rooms. I've definitely paid big bucks for rooms that were in disrepair, unfortunately. It all depends on the location and demand. In Disney's case, the demand is mostly there, but there is also huge supply of rooms in the Orlando area. Disney's levels of service and quality have been inconsistent at best. But at least there's options.

Mike S

The absolute worst hotel I've ever stayed in was the Hollywood Tower. The grounds look like a dump, it was very visibly broken in many areas, it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in any way in over 70 years, and the elevator was a broken death trap so I never even got to my room.

-13 stars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom