Pop Century Resort

dave2822

Hey folks,

I am going to be visiting Walt Disney World in early June this year , but all my other trips I have taken to WDW I've stayed in the EPCOT resort area.

Searching for a value, I figure I'd give Pop Century a chance.
Can anyone tell me their experiences at Pop? Pros, cons, how the rooms or the pool is? Also, how tough is it to get to the parks and stuff with just the buses (being in the EPCOT area we had boats, walkways, etc). Would I be better off renting a car?

Any information would be great, thanks!

SteveUK

I'm staying there for the first time later this year, so I have been looking for this kind of info too.

I see you are new here, and I'm not sure if you are aware, there is a search feature on the bar at the top of the page. Search for "Pop Century" and loads of info and threads should come up because there has been quite a lot of discussion lately. Sorry if you already knew about the search feature, but there are loads of old pros around here that still don't seem to use it.

If you find anything useful, please let me know!

Good Luck

Upvote 0

jab300

We stayed there for the first time Feb 04. The rooms are small but nice, the bus system is pretty good. Only thing I didn't like was the walking. We were put pretty far away from the main hall and the walk to the food court was inconvenient. Pools are cool. You should enjoy it. Have a fun trip.

Upvote 0

dave2822

Original Poster
Thanks, I didn't realize I could get all that info just running a search!

As it turns out, it seems like all of the reviews for Pop are very positive, really the only two negatives I found were:

(1) small rooms: which is ok, I'm only traveling with one other person, so no large family worries
(2) the walking distance: which is ok, we need more excercise anyways!

Thanks to all who chimed in, this new member is feeling right at home!

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Thanks for the links.

I too am staying there for my first time ever for 2 days with my sister before transferring to Yacht Club and meeting up with our parents. It looks kind of fun.

Upvote 0

LudwigVonDrake

I stayed at Pop last July and was VERY happy with my stay.

I stayed in the 60s building which was the preferred room so I didn't have far to walk to the main building. The buses were more efficient than the All-Stars because you aren't sharing buses with other resorts. The food court was fine and the layout is slightly different than the All-Stars but it's basically a newer version. I would strongly recommend it.

Upvote 0

Cindyrella

Pop Century is great. We stayed there in January and found the rooms to be small but very clean. We stayed in the 70's building and were very close to the main hall. We had no problem with transportation - other than it was standing room only coming back from the Parks at night. We are staying at Pop again this June. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

From the grounds of the Pop Century you can see both Wishes and Illuminations at night. You can see it from the top floor of some of the rooms, but if not yours, I would think the bridge over the lake would be a good spot. We watched from the bank of the lake in the 80s parking lot.

This may be on another thread.... I didn't take time to look.

Upvote 0

Boo's Mom

We couldn't see Wishes from Pop last August but we could see Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth, a few fireworks from Fantasmic and the fireworks from Illuminations. We were in the 60's building last building by the lake facing the pool. We would go around the back of our section of the building to where we were looking at the lake and watch Illuminations. While we waited for Illuminations to start, we would go down by the lake and feed the turtles, fish and ducks. We will be staying there again in August. Have fun on your trips for those who are going there in the near future! :sohappy: :wave:

Upvote 0

rshell68

We just stayed at the Pop a couple of weeks ago (March 15-19). We were a little hesitant as we have been pretty spoiled and have been able to stay at the Caribbean Beach and Animal Kingdom Lodge (my personal FAV!) on past trips. Except for the bus service (waited one night for over an hour for a bus to even show up) I was very happy with the resort. We stayed in the 60's building. Kids loved the pool and I didn't think the walk was all that bad to the food court. Seemed comparable to the walks we've had to take at CB. Food Court had quite a selection (best Cheesesteak Wrap I've ever had!) If we stay again I think we'll drive to the parks a whole lot more.

Upvote 0

Figment1986

Stayed last saturday night... Nice resort... (love the extra parking in the 50s area where i was..)

I stayed in building 2 on floor one..... room 66...

Not bad.. themeing was pleasent with the Bowling pins... the pin shaped pool.... only thing i hated.. was the darn flashing lights never turned off it seemed on the carts...

(Oh and how the pools closed at 12:00... and the entire Winter guard team i was wish went in at 12:05... and got kicked out at 1:10..... (security came.. but they might have been calleed for the "prom" girls on the 4th floor mnaking noise anc talking loud on their cell phones...

The food was great.. View not bad... the unfinnished resort accross the resort wasn't bad... (love how the roads were built and never used...)

overall i lo0ve this resort for what it is.. a Value..

Upvote 0
I have never had a bad stay at a Disney property and POP was no exception. My girlfriend and I had a blast. We had a preferred room and were about 25 yards away from the food court. The theme was fun and made your building easy to spot. Things like a 3 story yo-yo to mark your path. [url="http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/3106/19220P1080008-med.JPG"]http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/data/3106/19220P1080008-med.JPG[/url]

The only thing we had a problem with were our neighbors. It wasn't that they were loud but the walls were very thin and we could hear their infant cry/cough/laugh. So we didn't want to ummmmm, wake them up...:kiss: That put a little damper on the vacation.

Upvote 0

raven

Figment1986 said:
... the unfinnished resort accross the resort wasn't bad... (love how the roads were built and never used...)

Ah, yes. Funding was halted until further notice. So until then...just imagine how cool it will (some day) be. :animwink:

Actually, I loved Pop and prefer it now over any of the value resorts. The only bad thing that happened was a very rude security guard yelling at another CM in my presence the first 20 minutes that I got onto the property of the resort. I made sure to report it to his supervisor though.

Upvote 0

Woody13

Ned Brainard said:
The only thing we had a problem with were our neighbors. It wasn't that they were loud but the walls were very thin and we could hear their infant cry/cough/laugh. So we didn't want to ummmmm, wake them up...:kiss: That put a little damper on the vacation.

That seems odd to me. We have stayed at the PoP and found the walls to be well insulated against noise intrusions. Even screaming infants have not been able to disturb our time at the PoP. Beer helps too. On a side note, where are you from in Northern Virginia? Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Vienna, etc...?

Upvote 0

Woody13

Ned Brainard said:
Live in Reston and work in DC. You?

Reston is near Vienna. I used to work in Vienna many years ago (Wolf Trap). Grew up Arlington and I thought the commute to DC was bad then (1970 down Wilson Blvd.). :wave:

Upvote 0

Boo's Mom

When we stayed at Pop Century, we heard what sounded to be a bird fly by...it was weird because it sounded like a bird was in the room flying from the door to the bathroom but there was no bird in site. It wasn't anybody above us because there was nobody occupying the above room at that time. And if anybody knows what a bird flying and flapping its wings sounds like its me. Boo is flapping his as I type. It was definitely a different disney experience :lol:

Upvote 0

foxfire

Out of all the vaule resorts I stayed at I like PC the best. The rooms were a bit cramped, but overall it was a pleasant stay. Give yourself plenty of time to check in/out, as the lines move VERY slowly.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom