Pop Century resort VS. Moderate resort "fun factor"

snowpony

For our first trip in 2008, DBF and I stayed at Pop Century. For our upcoming second trip in December, he once again wanted to stay at Pop Century, so I booked that. I'm thinking about upgrading to a moderate resort for this trip, but he disagrees and likes the "fun factor" of Pop Century. He even told me that for all future trips regardless of the money situation, he still wants to stay at Pop Century. (The only exception might be Animal Kingdom Lodge, only because he loves animals!)

He liked the giant statues, the gift shop, the layout, the bright colors, the wall hangings, the lake, and the arcade. DBF becomes a giant manchild whenever he gets to WDW. Even in regular life, this is a guy who enjoys sports, figurine collectibles, video games, would rather grill than go to a nice restaurant, etc. He doesn't care about luxury, but more about the visuals and the fun.

Are any of the moderate resorts as "fun" as Pop Century? We will be at the parks most of the day and will probably be at the resort during the mornings and evenings before/after park hours.

Pioneer Hall

I think it all really depends on fun. I find the themes of the moderates to be more immersive, so for me that is more fun. The pools are also much better...they are larger, have more activity, and have slides. To me it would be a no brainer to upgrade my resort any time I had the option (ideally a deluxe is where I want to be), but I do understand that different people have different preferences.

Upvote 0

Xethis

My wife & I have differing opinions on the theming of resorts. I'm like the op's DBF and love the theming of all things Disney. My wife loves the theming in the parks, but doesn't want it force fed to her at the resorts so she can "unplug" & gear up for the next day.

Thats probably one of the reasons we love Coronado Springs so much. The resort has it's own story & theming, without being overwhelming. And for me, no pool on the Disney property beats the pool at Coronado Springs.

Upvote 0
I've always been one who likes either the Value or Deluxe Resorts. I always felt that if I'm going to shell out $2,400 for a Mod, I might as well throw out another $800 and stay at a Deluxe. But I did love Dixie Landings (now POR) as a child - the slide is awesome.

The Values are all fun and whimsical, where the Moderates are nice, comfortable hotels. I think theming for Disney quirkiness is better at Values, but Mods offer a little more quiet, a little more space and possibly some added bonuses.

But if your BF likes the theming and the price, I wouldn't try to sway him to go for a Moderate. Your best bet would be to show him the Pirate Ship at the
Yacht and Beach Club and see how he reacts...:lookaroun

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

we stayed at pop our first trip and are staying for one day this year. POP is ok, but the moderates have much more to do, better pools, private pools, great hidden mickey theming, outdoor cabanas, ts restaurants, better food courts. better shops, longer hours, pizza delivery. We prefer cbr, and are staying at poly this year because of the theming and want a deluxe, not sure if it is worth it yet. But definitely mods have the whole package of a deluxe(except room size) at a good price and add alot of value compared to values, POP.

Upvote 0

wylde75

I have never stayed at any of the moderate or deluxe resorts. i have stayed at Pop on my last three visits with the exception of one night at All Star. The thing that I always kinda think about is this. Your in DISNEY!! How much time are you going to really spend at the hotel? If you are going to spend more than two full days at the hotel, I dont see spending the extra cash for the extras that you might not use. We are usually at the parks, downtown or out exploring. We leave early and get back late. I would use the extra cash for something like a tour or extra special dinner.

Upvote 0

rpk4444

I've stayed at POP three times and they have all been fun. I think that the deluxes has their fair share of "stuffy" people, the moderates are full of couples with older children but, the values are alot of younger families and singles who are just out to have a good time on a budget.

I've been in the pool at POP numerous nights late where it almost becomes a party.

**Sorry if I offended anyone. i didn't mean to**

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

I have never stayed at any of the moderate or deluxe resorts. i have stayed at Pop on my last three visits with the exception of one night at All Star. The thing that I always kinda think about is this. Your in DISNEY!! How much time are you going to really spend at the hotel? If you are going to spend more than two full days at the hotel, I dont see spending the extra cash for the extras that you might not use. We are usually at the parks, downtown or out exploring. We leave early and get back late. I would use the extra cash for something like a tour or extra special dinner.

This is how I feel as well. I've only stayed at POP, and other than going to a deluxe for room quality and monorail access, which really isn't that big of a deal, I don't see the need to upgrade. Don't really see any use in going swimming while at WDW, and would rather spend most of my time in the parks or looking around.

Upvote 0

cabihler

for me its either the POP or CBR

i have stayed at the POP and also at the CBR more than a dozen times each. i love them both. i think the themeing and colors and FUN factor is better at the CBR and it is quieter than POP while still projecting the FUN part. so if you can find the deals that you like for the CBR then i suggest you give it a try (request a room in Aruba or Jamaica) otherwise you can nor go wrong with the POP. I also love the POLY but it is a whole different feel.

Upvote 0

Evil Genius

We've always been a family that stayed in either a value or moderate as well and to be honest, we love both of them. It really depends on what sort of mood we're in when we book our trip as to which we end up in.

We stayed in POP not soon after it opened and really enjoyed it! The layout, theming and pools are top notch and the food court may be the best on property. There is always a great energy throughout the resort and it really FEELS like a "family" resort.

If not at POP, we've always stayed at POR. We love the relaxed feeling of the resort and the grounds are just so well manicured and tranquil in the Aligator Bayou that it allows you to really escape when you need some time away from the parks. Plus the added bonus of the boat to DtD is just a neat little perk!

As someone stated earlier, still having young children our Disney trips are focused on the parks themselves and that's where we spend 99% of our time. To spend extravagant amounts of cash on a deluxe resort (not that it wouldn't be great) just doesn't make any sense to us as we wouldn't be taking advantage of everything the resorts have to offer. We could've easily stayed delux on our last trip (and boy was I tempted) but we didn't...choosing instead to stay at POR again and budgeting that extra cash to making the trip longer!

Upvote 0

CoastalX

We have always chose the Value, we feel, that we dont spend much time other than eating and sleeping at the resort, so we save by staying at the values and can put that savings towards the rest of the trip for spending at the parks, etc.

Upvote 0

JWH

The additional room, theming, bigger pools, and on-site restaurant options are well worth the pricing difference between Value and Moderates for me. Plus, I find it much more fun with no noisy tour groups!!!

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

Port Orleans Riverside

If your DBF prefers the whimsicality (is that even a word?) of the Pop he may enjoy Port Orleans: Riverside the Alligator Bayou side. We stayed there but on the Magnolia Bend side but if you check out pictures online first he may enjoy the theming there especially if he likes animals.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom