Pop Century Resort, 4:00 A.M. space shuttle launch viewing location?

RaySharpton

I read that the next space shuttle launch is scheduled for November 30th, 2010 at 4:00 A.M.

I'll be at Pop Century Resort.

I have seen a shuttle launch at MK from Mainstreet looking toward the castle.

Last May, I saw a shuttle launch from Epcot at the Rose and Crown restaurant looking across the lake toward China.

All of these seem to be looking toward the East viewing.

I have seen the Pop Century resort map.

Which is East on Pop Century resort map?

Or what do think my be the best place to watch the space shuttle launch if you were staying at the Pop Century resort.

Mickey92

I read that the next space shuttle launch is scheduled for November 30th, 2010 at 4:00 A.M.

I'll be at Pop Century Resort.

I have seen a shuttle launch at MK from Mainstreet looking toward the castle.

Last May, I saw a shuttle launch from Epcot at the Rose and Crown restaurant looking across the lake toward China.

All of these seem to be looking toward the East viewing.

I have seen the Pop Century resort map.

Or what do think my be the best place to watch the space shuttle launch if you were staying at the Pop Century resort.

Well, looking from the map with reference to google maps, east at Pop Century is when you are looking towards the carpark from the resort. Hope that helps a bit with bearings. When I saw a shuttle launch we were at blizzard beach right at the top but that is no use because BB won't be open at 04:00am in the morning :D haha hope that helps though :)

Upvote 0

wendysue

Last year we watched the shuttle at Pop. We went to the 4th floor at the end of the 50's building that faces the 60's parking lot. (Check out the resort map) It was an excellent view and about 5 minutes or so after liftoff, the sound wave washed over us. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

RaySharpton

Original Poster
Well, looking from the map with reference to google maps, east at Pop Century is when you are looking towards the carpark from the resort. Hope that helps a bit with bearings. When I saw a shuttle launch we were at blizzard beach right at the top but that is no use because BB won't be open at 04:00am in the morning :D haha hope that helps though :)

Hello, Tristan. Thank you for your reply.

So facing East at Pop Century resort is like standing at the Pop bus stop, for example, and facing the visitor's parking lot.

Does that sound correct?

Upvote 0

Rob562

Easy way to look at/orient the map:

The Generation Gap bridge that crosses the lake to the non-existent Legendary Years runs almost exactly East-West. The Pop Century end of it points just slightly north of due east.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Hello, Tristan. Thank you for your reply.

So facing East at Pop Century resort is like standing at the Pop bus stop, for example, and facing the visitor's parking lot.

Does that sound correct?

Not Tristan, but sounds about right. Our last trip in March 2009, I just missed a shuttle launch as I was walking to the Pop cafeteria from my room in the 50's section. I was following the path from the 50's courtyard to the cafeteria entrance when I noticed everyone looking up to the sky towards the east. People were pointing and taking pictures, so I asked a guy what he was looking at and he said that the space shuttle had JUST launched a few minutes ago. I immediately looked in that direction and by that time all I could see was the smoke trail.

I was VERY disappointed! The shuttle was supposed to have launched the day we were driving down from Canada and without seeing or hearing any news for a day and a half, I had no idea the launch was rescheduled.

So if you can manage to get up to the 3rd floor at Pop in the 50's section looking out over the parking lot area, you should have a NICE view! Good luck and try to snap a few pictures and post them on here if you can! :wave:

Upvote 0
Basically, if you look towards Interstate 4 and look for a bright light that will be the space shuttle ... you would enjoy it more being closer ... it's only an hour drive down rt528 and being that close is amazing, especially a night launch ... I did one 2 years ago and it was AWESOME

Upvote 0

fosse76

Well, it'll be dark out...I'm sure you'll be able to find it! :wave:

Upvote 0

RaySharpton

Original Poster
Last year we watched the shuttle at Pop. We went to the 4th floor at the end of the 50's building that faces the 60's parking lot.

Thank you, Wendy.

Easy way to look at/orient the map:
The Generation Gap bridge that crosses the lake to the non-existent Legendary Years runs almost exactly East-West. The Pop Century end of it points just slightly north of due east.
-Rob

Thank you, Rob. I was looking at the Google Earth map and the Space Shuttle Launch site is also slightly North of due East. So if I were to stand on the bridge, I could look straight back to the Pop Century Registration/Restaurant building and I should be able to see the Space Shuttle Discovery. Cool!

Not Tristan, but sounds about right.

Hello, Mikester71. I just saw the name Tristan below the name Mickey92 and thought that it was her real first name.

Our last trip in March 2009, I just missed a shuttle launch as I was walking to the Pop cafeteria from my room in the 50's section. I was following the path from the 50's courtyard to the cafeteria entrance when I noticed everyone looking up to the sky towards the east. People were pointing and taking pictures, so I asked a guy what he was looking at and he said that the space shuttle had JUST launched a few minutes ago. I immediately looked in that direction and by that time all I could see was the smoke trail.

I was VERY disappointed! The shuttle was supposed to have launched the day we were driving down from Canada and without seeing or hearing any news for a day and a half, I had no idea the launch was rescheduled.

So if you can manage to get up to the 3rd floor at Pop in the 50's section looking out over the parking lot area, you should have a NICE view! Good luck and try to snap a few pictures and post them on here if you can! :wave:

I am sorry that you missed the shuttle. I know what you mean. This specific Space Shuttle Discovery Launch was supposed to be this last September.

And last year, I made vacation plans to see this very same launch at Daytona Beach and then a short stay at WDW, but it was cancelled.

Now I am going on my annual December WDW vacation and the same launch will be going on while I am there.

Go figure.

I will do my best taking photos. I am not very go at using cameras at all. But I will take a lot of them and hope for the best and I will post them here.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

Upvote 0

RaySharpton

Original Poster
Correct! No Problems :) This is for the last Discovery launch right? Awesome!!

Hello, Mickey92. Thank you. I do believe that this will be Discovery's last launch if they can fix all of those cracks in the rocket.

Well, it'll be dark out...I'm sure you'll be able to find it! :wave:

Hello, Fosse76. I just hope that it won't be cloudy on the horizon to block the initial first minute before seeing the actual Discovery Shuttle.

I am hoping for a very clear, crist night without clouds on the horizon.

When I saw the night launch at WDW last time, I was on a bridge that connects the Yacht resort and the BW/Swan resorts. It was a very clear, crisp, clean, dark, night sky.

I saw the sky over Epcot's eiffel tower light up like an atomic explosion arch on a scifi movie, but the light kept getting stronger and stronger.

In less than a minute, I finally saw the flames from the space shuttle.

It was amazing.

But I guess it was a lucky night.

So let's hope for no clouds or no rain or no fog or no whatever there might be to block the horizon.

Does anyone have a photo of that night?

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Hello, Mikester71. I just saw the name Tristan below the name Mickey92 and thought that it was her real first name.

No, no...her name is Tristan by the looks of it. Sorry for the confusion. I just meant I was going to take a stab at answering your question for you, even though you had directed the question towards Tristan originally. Hence the not Tristan statement. :eek:

Anyways, its all good and I hope you get to see the shuttle launch and have a GREAT vacation. Let me know how spectacular it looks! :wave:

Upvote 0

Rob562

Thank you, Rob. I was looking at the Google Earth map and the Space Shuttle Launch site is also slightly North of due East. So if I were to stand on the bridge, I could look straight back to the Pop Century Registration/Restaurant building and I should be able to see the Space Shuttle Discovery. Cool!

On the bridge, or even on the far side, which would get you away from the buildings and have the open space of the lake to give you a more open viewing angle.

-Rob

Upvote 0

erstwo

The launch date for the shuttle has now been changed again. They say the earliest it will launch now is at 2:52 am on Dec. 3rd.

Such a bummer - so many of my friends will be husband-less at Christmas if this keeps up (not astronauts, just NASA :)) but I have to say, I'm excited because now we'll be there! I didn't think we'd ever see another one, even from a distance.

Will you still be at Disney? It's so worth it to stay up/ get up to see it. We told our kids- 4 & 7 that they would likely be in college before they ever saw an American in space - launched from American soil - again. And I really believe it's true. The funding just isn't there right now. :( So it's exciting that we'll be there! Thanks for the heads up! :wave:

Upvote 0

TomDisney

The current launch window is until Dec 5th with the launch now scheduled for no earlier than December 3rd. If they do manage to launch during this window, you will have no problem seeing it as long as it is a clear night. Just find a place where you have a good view of the eastern horizon and you won't miss it, especially if it is a night launch. The sky will light up.

Just to give you an idea, here is a photo taken from Tampa at sunset of a shuttle launch so this should give you a good idea.

n654510728_2735139_7243075.jpg

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom