Pop Century or POR

LuckyBug

I need some advice. I'm trying to get a trip planned for mid-late May or early June. I've stayed at POR numerous times and just love it. I'm now looking at Pop Century for this trip. I've never stayed at any of the value resorts, but I just figured up and there is a $300 price difference for 6 nights in room rates (with no discounts). Any advice on Pop Century would be great!!!!! Help me make up my mind as to where to stay!!!!

Also any advice on getting either an AP or maybe just a 7 day park hopper with no expire would be great too!!!

debndon

Pop Century

This is our 4th trip later this year and we have always stayed at the value resorts, this will be our first time at the pop century. We think the value resorts are fine for the money I mean really how much time do your really spend at your resort or in your room anyway.

Upvote 0

I've stayed at Pop Century twice and POR I can't begin to count how many times. My vote would be for POR which is my favorite resort but if all you're doing at your resort is sleeping, Pop Century could be the way to go for you. It does have a much different feel to it than POR. It's alot louder (And I don't just mean the noise lol ;)) but it's fun too! If you're going to stay at a Value, I'd say go with Pop, but if I were to choose between Pop and POR, POR gets my vote no contest. Have a great trip! :D

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

LuckyBug said:
I need some advice. I'm trying to get a trip planned for mid-late May or early June. I've stayed at POR numerous times and just love it. I'm now looking at Pop Century for this trip. I've never stayed at any of the value resorts, but I just figured up and there is a $300 price difference for 6 nights in room rates (with no discounts). Any advice on Pop Century would be great!!!!! Help me make up my mind as to where to stay!!!!

Also any advice on getting either an AP or maybe just a 7 day park hopper with no expire would be great too!!!
Pop and POR are two VERY different resorts. Pop was quite nice, but the rooms are smaller and the layout is different. The Main building does NOT have a sit down restaurant, so the food court especially in the mornings is a bit nuts. The recreation is a bit different as well. There are only three pools at Pop whereas POR has like 6 or so!!! POR is also more spread out so it is quite a bit quieter. All of that having been said, I would choose a Moderate for the time frame you are going as you will be using the amenities ( pools) at the resorts more due to the warmer weather. Purchasing an AP for the room discount is not a bad idea, plus who knows it may inspire you to take a trip down later in the year!!!!! Just to give you an idea the Moderate AP rate that is out now is $109 a night, This rate is good for Mid April to July 4th. I would call up and make your reservations first though, then buy your AP online or via phone thr Disney. Even if you decide to go with Pop the rate for an AP holder is $74 a night!! You will save money on the room no matter which way you go!!! The MYW tickets for the parks sell each item of a park hopper seperately now. A 7 day ticket is $211.94, the park hopper feature is $37.28 and the no expires option would be $58.58. That is a grand total of $307.80. An AP is $420.68 which includes the hopping option and is unlimited use for 365 days from the day you activate your pass!!! If you save 112.88 on your room using the AP discounts it would make it work out to be even in cost!!! Any other questions let me know and I will try to help!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Dubman

My wife and I stayed at Pop Century on our most recent trip.(February 15-27) We both loved it.. We haven't stayed at POR before, but we have stayed at the Caribbean Beach before which has same room size as POR. Pop Centurys' rooms are quite a bit smaller, but we spent every waking hour at the parks anyways. (On Februay 23, Magic Kingdom was open until 3:00am, and we stayed right till the end...) Bus transportation was good, never had to wait longer than 10 minutes.. About Magic Your Way passes.. We bought the 10-day with park hopping and no expiration for roughly $350.00 each with tax because we are going back in October for the Food & Wine festival..(Can't wait) As far as I've seen, the 10-day is only available at disneyworld.com, but I could be wrong.. Not on any of the menu boards at the parks, or at Disney Stores.. Hope this helps!! And have a magical trip!!

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Because they are such different resorts and you have stayed at POR before, I would be afraid I would get there and regret not picking POR. The only way I would change from POR would be to a deluxe (love the WL). If you can afford it, I would stick with POR. It's the best to me.

Upvote 0

swhite

I agree with Ringo8n24 we always stay at POR because we love it there I always look at other resorts but the only other ones that I would give up POR for would be a deluxe without feeling regret !!!!!!!!!!! So if budget allows I would definetly go with POR

Upvote 0

LuckyBug

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I do believe that POR is the one! I do love it there. But after looking at my calendar, I may be going in July now instead of May......I know it's crazy, it will be HOT & CROWDED....but I think it would be a treat going for my birthday!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

raven

Look at things this way. Will you be spending a great deal of time in the resort? If not, go with a value resort. Why pay more money when you won't be seeing it?

Upvote 0

artdude323

One other thing to consider is that Pop is so far off the beaten track and out at the end of property, that it sometimes takes forever to get busses back and forth. We waited almost 45 minutes during Illuminations at Epcot in december, and I shudder to think what the guests leaving after the show had to wait for the single bus going ALL the way down to Pop. Just realize that the value resorts get less busses, and share busses sometimes, so they fill up quicker.

It all depends on whether you're going with or without kids. Pop is great, but for the same money, I'd choose All Star Movies or Music any day. But I'd choose Port Orleans over all of them. The dragon slide at French Quarter is too cool to pass up for $109 a night.

Remember that you only have to have one Annual Pass in the same name as the reservation to get the rate - if you have several single day passes left, just buy one AP and days to fill out the other admission.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

LuckyBug said:
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I do believe that POR is the one! I do love it there. But after looking at my calendar, I may be going in July now instead of May......I know it's crazy, it will be HOT & CROWDED....but I think it would be a treat going for my birthday!!!!!!!

I have always gone in July...because everything is open and I can enjoy the waterparks. I never remember how hot it was...only that everything is avaolable.

Also...if you go to the water parks in the morning, then hit the Theme Parks at noon...you're much more refreshed.

Personally...you can let me in the Parks at opening...and I'd stay there till midnight.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

LuckyBug said:
It is looking pretty good that I may end up in Disney in July as well!!!! Not sure where to stay or when exactly, but I have two sets of friends who want to go so I am plotting......... Belle

Upvote 0

BWG22

I have to say Pop Century. Its cheap, fun and like many others have said, the most you do in the resort is sleep. Save your money for the fun.:animwink:

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
LuckyBug, I stayed at both the Pop and POFQ last week, and I'd stay at the POFQ again. Compared to the Pop, POFQ feels like a whole different world. Building 3 is nice at FQ, I might add.

Len

Upvote 0

LuckyBug

Original Poster
wannabeBelle said:
It is looking pretty good that I may end up in Disney in July as well!!!! Not sure where to stay or when exactly, but I have two sets of friends who want to go so I am plotting......... Belle

I think July will be a great month to be there!

Happy Planning!!!!! I can't wait to get my reservations done and then the trip is official!!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom