Pop Century Ghost Town - Why did construction Stop?

speck76

ISTCNavigator57 said:
it's just such bad show, I feel, to just leave it there half-done. With occupancy rates back to high levels, I think they could support the other half of this resort, now. For the time being, though, they could at least put up a construction wall so it doesn't look like they just forgot about it. It looks really trashy, now. Even if they didn't want to open the Resort, they should at least finish it so that it looks nice, and then wait to open it until they feel the time is right.

Although occupancy rates are higher, to add another 2600 rooms, or 949,000 room nights to fill on an annual basis.....it is not needed yet....maybe in 2 or 3 more years.

Ziggie

Wait a minute ~ this isn't making sense to me.

I was there the 3rd week PC was open (Jan, 2004). There were no other bldgs there other than the main hotel. I returned to PC 2 weeks ago.. and the bldgs were there (and, as the other poster said, with not one construction crew in site).

Then, a poster here says 9/11 is to blame. Um... the bldgs were built after 9/11.

Doesn't follow ~ :veryconfu

peter11435

Ziggie said:

I was there the 3rd week PC was open (Jan, 2004). There were no other bldgs there other than the main hotel. I returned to PC 2 weeks ago.. and the bldgs were there (and, as the other poster said, with not one construction crew in site).

Then, a poster here says 9/11 is to blame. Um... the bldgs were built after 9/11.

Those buildings were there when Pop Opened. You just must have missed them.

s25843

Ziggie said:

Remember that Pop also sat for a large number of months before the official opening.

Ziggie

Thanks for straightening me out. I could've sworn those bldgs weren't there :hammer: And yes, I do remember that PC sat there for a while before it opened.

maelstrom

This is really a shame. Those buildings look pathetic sitting over there, alone and unfinished. It would be nice if they could create rooms at a value resort (the remaining bits of Pop) that can accomodate five people. This seems to be something that is in high demand from what I've read on this and other boards.

Feta

Has anyone else wondered about the theming of the Legendary years. The classic years are themed great. I love the giant walkman - not to mention the huge Disney characters from their respective decades.

How in the world do you theme the 1900's, 1910's, 1920's or 1930's? Are you really going to theme about one of the World Wars - or the Depression? Sure you could have big fiber glass stock brokers jumping from the balconies. Oh I got it - the pool could be themed on the Dust Bowl. Just a dry pit of blowing sand and dirt.

Maybe the imagineers are just stuck.

disneysailor

Maybe they'll change the plans slightly and build it as a DVC resort. DVC is still really popular, and this will provide enough capital to fund the rest of the building work.

LudwigVonDrake

I have a friend going down to Disney for a few days in early June (7-9) and all the value resorts are booked. Not a room to be found. Anyone know why this might be case? Is it always so busy in early June?

dave2822

LudwigVonDrake said:
I have a friend going down to Disney for a few days in early June (7-9) and all the value resorts are booked. Not a room to be found. Anyone know why this might be case? Is it always so busy in early June?

It is always difficult to get a value resort this time of year. Many college or high school students have graduated, and are coming down, and many schools also are just getting out. Everyone looking for a good deal to begin the summer books with a value resort.

peter11435

Feta said:
Has anyone else wondered about the theming of the Legendary years. The classic years are themed great. I love the giant walkman - not to mention the huge Disney characters from their respective decades.

How in the world do you theme the 1900's, 1910's, 1920's or 1930's? Are you really going to theme about one of the World Wars - or the Depression? Sure you could have big fiber glass stock brokers jumping from the balconies. Oh I got it - the pool could be themed on the Dust Bowl. Just a dry pit of blowing sand and dirt.

Maybe the imagineers are just stuck.
The Imagineers are not stuck. The plans for the resort were completed a long time ago. Remember the 1960's buildings in Classic years are not themed to the Vietnam War and the civil rights movement. Every decade even the 30's and 40's had pop culture. Music, movies, inventions, games, toys and gadgets exist for all decades. Think about Steamboat Willy for the 20's and a giant Dumbo for the 1940's. I can tell you that the concept art for the 1930's includes a giant Monopoly board and that the 1940's has a huge Tonka truck. Also included in the resort are lifesavers and crayola crayons. The 1920's pool is shaped like the coke contour glass bottle.

Concept Art

wdwjmp239

vb4hire said:
Stayed at Pop Century 2 weeks ago. Across the lake is where the second section is (was) being built. Basically a second resort under the same name.

The main building looks complete, but a brownish grey (clay?) color. Even the large years are up. Then 1000 yards away, close to the original pop century resort is 3 sections of new hotel... also in that brownish grey color (actually, morre brown than grey).

You can see pipe fittings coming out of the ground in other areas for new buildings.

So the weird thing is... No construction activity,in fact no construction equipment at all! Looks like no roads have been built. It has a strange look to it...sort've like a ghost town, but it almost looks like an army or firefighting training facility I've seen in the movies... where they build a fake town to train in without really caring about the look.

Seems odd to build the two sets of buildings and then just stop! Also seemed odd that there aren't other sections partially completed.

Can someone explain this ghost town?

Hey there! I see you were staying in the building that was pretty close to the "Generation Gap" bridge. I know exactly where you're talking about and posed the same question. It does seem rather peculiar that they would stop construction like that, but as it was stated in another post in this thread, money was tight, economy was a problem, and when 9/11 occured, travel (domestic and foreign) was the last thing on everyones mind.

If you walked down that bridge, you'll come to the end where there are trees and shrubs blocking your view. But, you can walk to either side of that bridge and see the construction site a little better. If you have a camera with a zoom lens, you can really see the site.

When you leave the Pop Century and look to your left, you can see that other "ghost building" to your left.

I wonder if they're going to finish building Pop Century now that travel is on the rise again.

wdwjmp239

ISTCNavigator57 said:
it's just such bad show, I feel, to just leave it there half-done. With occupancy rates back to high levels, I think they could support the other half of this resort, now. For the time being, though, they could at least put up a construction wall so it doesn't look like they just forgot about it. It looks really trashy, now. Even if they didn't want to open the Resort, they should at least finish it so that it looks nice, and then wait to open it until they feel the time is right.

I agree! A wall would be better looking than a construction site :)

wdwjmp239

Woody13 said:
WDW currently offers AP, Florida Resident, AAA and military discounts.

Florida Resident discounts....

And I wanted to move back to NY? What the hell was I thinking? :hammer: :hammer:

Woody13

LudwigVonDrake said:
No, they are not fully booked for those dates. The only value resort fully booked during June 7-9 is the All-Star Movie Resort. Music, Sports and POP all have vacancies during that time frame, you just have to go to the right place to book (not Disney CRO).

Ziggie

Woody13 said:
No, they are not fully booked for those dates. The only value resort fully booked during June 7-9 is the All-Star Movie Resort. Music, Sports and POP all have vacancies during that time frame, you just have to go to the right place to book (not Disney CRO).

... and the right place would be.... ? :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Woody - if you talking travel websites like expedia and orbitz and travelocity, they are often wrong.

They'll let you get right up to the last part of booking and tell you "Oops, no, no rooms" because they have to eventually hit the same inventory that Disney uses.

I know from experience because I thought CRO was wrong too when I saw it on the websites with availability.

Some programs do buy-out blocks of rooms to resell. Finding one that hasn't already sold out itself is another matter.

Woody13

mousermerf said:
Woody - if you talking travel websites like expedia and orbitz and travelocity, they are often wrong.

They'll let you get right up to the last part of booking and tell you "Oops, no, no rooms" because they have to eventually hit the same inventory that Disney uses.

I know from experience because I thought CRO was wrong too when I saw it on the websites with availability.

Some programs do buy-out blocks of rooms to resell. Finding one that hasn't already sold out itself is another matter.
AAA has them as well as several large travel agencies (with which I will not SPAM you).:wave:

P.S. I never use Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. You are right, they are often wrong. Those sites are for rank amateurs. However, I can't give away all my secrets!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom