Pop Century- An Opinion Has Changed

pheneix

Original Poster
Well, after looking at the recent construction photos on the internet with a non-biased and objective eye, I have decided that my original opinion of Pop Century was indeed wrong. So, as of now, I have to change it.

From this point forward, my original summary of my opinion will no longer be, "What in the hell were they thinking?" No, instead, this is my new view of this modern marvel known as Pop Century:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! WHAT IN THE **** ARE THESE PEOPLE SMOKING? ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR ******** MIND?
Thank you.

http://www.orlandorocks.com/info.as...ry&location=all&type=lodging&sub=Construction

pheneix

Original Poster
Dude, that was sarcasm.

Did you really think I was sitting at my keyboard yelling at the monitor while I wrote that? Okay, so I did say out loud, "That's the ugliest damn thing I've ever seen, but everyone does that, don't they? ;)

Herbie53

Premium Member
Pop Century doesn't look any worse than the All Stars to me. What do you think about those?

You have to remember that these are budget hotels. They only cost marginally more than a Comfort Inn. When put in those terms, I think these are very nice resorts. They seem to be geared a little more toward kids. There is nothing subdued about them, but you can hardly call that a fault as the all stars have proven that the formula works. There's nothing wrong with a whimsical resort as an option. It'd be different if it was the only place to stay.

Imagineer Dave

First of all you haven't been in it or have actually stayed there, second not everyone has the kind of budget to stay at a deluxe hotel (and it sounds like you're comparing Pop to a deluxe resort). An third i would just like to know, for about the same price were would you rather stay, Pop an ON-SITE disney resort, or an off-site Days Inn. Compare pop to any other hotel or motel that has the same price range as pop and I think you'll see how much better it is and how much of a great value it is. The key word is value.

pheneix

Original Poster
>>>What do you think about those?<<<

Having stayed there and paid $109 a night in the busy summer season, I utterly despise everything about them.

>>>You have to remember that these are budget hotels.<<<

I know, and pretty much every other hotel chain out there (including Motel 6), does a better job at it, and they don't have the garish theming either.

>>>They seem to be geared a little more toward kids.<<<

Not to put words into your mouth, but even though they have alienated anyone over the age of 7 from ever wanting to stay there, it is all okay because little Joey likes the big cassette player? I'm sorry, but I have seen the "for the children" argument thrown around far too many times in defense of Disney's business tactics.

>>>First of all you haven't been in it or have actually stayed there<<<

It is the exact same level of service with even worse theming than the All-Stars. As far as service goes, if you stay at one moderate resort, you have stayed at them all, so I would not expect any different there.

>>>were would you rather stay, Pop an ON-SITE disney resort, or an off-site Days Inn.<<<

Without a shadow of a doubt an off-site Days Inn (or maybe a Jameson Inn, hell, it's the same price at the values resorts), because the rooms there are generally better. Actually, if given those two choices, I'd probably just stay home and save my peanuts for next year.

>>>Compare pop to any other hotel or motel that has the same price range as pop and I think you'll see how much better it is and how much of a great value it is.<<<

What kind of value? Disney's value resorts start out at $77 a night. For that kind of price, I got a very nice room on the 23rd floor at the Galt House Hotel in Louisville, KY (I can't remember how many AAA diamonds the place has, but I can tell you it is basically between a moderate and deluxe resort at WDW), during the International Lawn and Garden Expo, and that IS THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR FOR THEM! Hell, $77 a night is more expensive than many of the resorts on Villiage Plaza, and they have much better service than Disney's so-called value resorts. Heck, for roughly $30 more a night, I can stay at the Coronado Springs, and that resort is LIGHTYEARS beyond the All-Stars in every respect. So there, I have compared Pop Century to other hotels in the same catagory, and it is a total ripoff.

>>>the all stars have proven that the formula works<<<

No, they more or less prove that most people can't afford or are unwilling to pay Disney's outrageous rates for their other resorts.

Herbie53

Premium Member
As far as these resorts alienating people over 7, I have to take issue with that comment. No matter how much Joey likes that giant cassette player, his parents are the ones who make the reservations, and the budget resorts are usually full. Maybe all these people are self-sacrificing and putting up with a miserable resort because their kids like it. That wouldn't surprise me, very often happy kids make for happy parents. But whatever their reasons for booking at these resorts, they do book at these resorts. Disney is just responding to what the public is buying into.

I have never stayed at the All Stars ( or the Pop Century obviously), so I can't comment on the accomodations, but I have walked the grounds at all three All Star resorts. I did not find anything alienating about the resort itself. You say garish, I say whimsical. It's all very subjective.

Lance

My opinion before I saw these pics was that of I liked the idea, and I thought the resort looked as I think it would(like the All-stars). And I liked the previous pics I saw.

After those pics.........I think it looks great, that HUGE fussball courtyard thing is great, and that giant Mickey Phone, my mother still has hers.....

I think Pop Century is gonna be a HIT!

I want to stay in the 10's: the Titanic, Chaplin, Curse of the Bambino?......who knows.

DDPGambit

I love the All Stars!
From someone paying his way through college, who wants to stay on property, they are great!!

The theming isnt as great as my all time fave Dixie Landings(I wont call it Riverside), but the All Stars still are Disney-ish.

disneydudette

Never in my life will I stay at that resort.....nearly 6000 rooms....r u kidding me.....plus the set up seems weird....hotels on one side of the lagoon.....buses and foodcourt on the other..... imagine sharing a food court and bus with at least 12,000 people (when at full capactity)....

My guess is it will be a hit.....but the only good thing it will do for us....is raise crowd levels....:( :mad:

i like the AS themeing better....is it just me???

pooh&eyore

I have stayed at the All Stars numerous times when down at WDW. I also have stayed at some of the deluxe resorts. For someone who likes to go down often, the value resorts are an excellent accomodation. Hey they may not look as fancy as the Grand Floridian or the Wilderness Lodge, but hey, how many hours out of the day are you actually at the hotel anyway when in WDW --- for me, it is usually just to sleep.

But the value resorts are for families of who cannot afford the Deluxe prices, yet can take their families to WDW to experience the magic. Further, monetarily -- if I were staying at the Coronado springs or any madoerate resort, I think I would still rather stay at the AS because, I can take the extra money and extend my stay --- more days to have fun in WDW.

For many years people complained that Disney did not offer an affordable vacation for all families (I mean if you have four or five kids that is a lot of park admission to pay for besides staying at one of the few hotels there in the 80's). Many families would save years just to go for five days. Today, with the advent of the value resorts, everyone can share in the magic and afford it.

Besides most people will stay at the value resorts, instead of off-site property now. Most of these hotels are in the same price range. It is not that AS is fancier, rather they get the benefits of staying at a disney hotel (buses, etc.).

Anyway, this is all just my opinion. But I think too many people stay at the AS resort and do not complain. so something must be right.

Holly

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>
What kind of value? Disney's value resorts start out at $77 a night. For that kind of price, I got a very nice room on the 23rd floor at the Galt House Hotel in Louisville, KY (I can't remember how many AAA diamonds the place has, but I can tell you it is basically between a moderate and deluxe resort at WDW), during the International Lawn and Garden Expo, and that IS THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR FOR THEM!

Sorta OT ... BUT ... the Galt House was by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. It promoted itself as a deluxe hotel but geesh, it was bad, bad, bad. No hair dryers in rooms - you had to "request" one from the desk, peeling wallpaper, extremely loud plumbing, ugly dark rooms and the worst: air conditioning was iffy at best. I was there for a conference and the air in the meeting rooms almost never worked. 1000 sweaty people in elegant evening attire in June sweating the night away. Ugh.

BigAL

Pop

To my knowledge there will be a food court on each side of the lake. I just got back from staying at the Days Inn Maingate East and there is no comparison with it and the All Stars. All Stars beat it every time.

pheneix

Original Poster
>>>No hair dryers in rooms - you had to "request" one from the desk, peeling wallpaper, extremely loud plumbing, ugly dark rooms and the worst: air conditioning was iffy at best.<<<

It was the Galt House, right? I never ran into any of these problems last week. They were also in the middle of remodeling the place.

>>>My guess is it will be a hit<<<

Yeah, generally cheap hotels are successful.

>>>they get the benefits of staying at a disney hotel (buses, etc.).<<<

Which are dissapearing...

Holly

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>It was the Galt House, right? I never ran into any of these problems last week. They were also in the middle of remodeling the place.

Yep, it was the Galt House. We stayed there, let's see, in June of 2000. If they're remodeling now, it's been long overdue.

:wave:

pheneix

Original Poster
I can't vouch for the GH that year, because I had to stay at the Seelbach. Now THAT is an upscale hotel....

CmdrTostada

I dont like Pop Century, but Im not gonna bash it because I realize what its for. Its for people who want to stay on property but
A: Cant afford the nicer resorts
or
B: Want to stay longer

So pheneix just dont stay there, like Disney cares anyways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom