Pop Century 3am alarm

typeojason

My wife and I had the misfortune of staying in building 6 that night. The most frustrating part for me was the total lack of communication, even after the fact. I don't expect a CM to get on a megaphone and shout the root cause, but it would have been nice of someone to tell us after the alarm turned off that it was safe to return to our rooms. Instead, half the people remained outside and mulled around. My wife and I went off in search of fire damage, a flood, any sign of emergency.

What we DID find were about 10 security personnel questioning a man and his shirtless teenage son about 3 doors down from the alarm. It's still unclear if they were involved, if they were complicit, or if there was a real emergency.

I fully expected to wake up to a notice slipped under the door either apologizing for it or explaining what happened. We got nothing. No communication during the event, no communication afterward. Like they just pretended it never happened... That's insane to me.

Colonel Angus

My wife and I had the misfortune of staying in building 6 that night. The most frustrating part for me was the total lack of communication, even after the fact. I don't expect a CM to get on a megaphone and shout the root cause, but it would have been nice of someone to tell us after the alarm turned off that it was safe to return to our rooms. Instead, half the people remained outside and mulled around. My wife and I went off in search of fire damage, a flood, any sign of emergency.

What we DID find were about 10 security personnel questioning a man and his shirtless teenage son about 3 doors down from the alarm. It's still unclear if they were involved, if they were complicit, or if there was a real emergency.

I fully expected to wake up to a notice slipped under the door either apologizing for it or explaining what happened. We got nothing. No communication during the event, no communication afterward. Like they just pretended it never happened... That's insane to me.
How important was it to share that he was shirtless?

Phonedave

There definitely should be an all clear given when it is OK to go back to the rooms.

But as for follow up communications, that depends. Let's say they think somebody pulled the alarm as a prank. They cannot say that unless the person is actually charged and convicted, or else it can be considered slanderous. If it was a fire, they cannot say anything about it being dangerous or not dangerous - the PR team is not a fire investigatory unit and do not have that training. There are a lot of other similar scenarios to these.

The team that is on the overnight shift likely does not include a corporate external communications person and legal representation. In large companies such as Disney there are only certain people that are authorized to issue official statements, especially printed ones slipped under doors.

People will sue at the drop of a hat (or ask for compensation)

Last edited:

XtinaS

I was in room 6219 when it happened and heard the whole thing! At about 3:20 am I was woken up by a mans voice screaming for help! He kept saying “oh my #%+* god someone help me!!!” Over and over again. Also a lot of furniture being moved around. I was sleeping in a bed next to my 4 & 6 year old. Luckily they did not wake up until the alarms went off. Just 5 minutes after the yelling woke me up ( I thought it was the room above) because we heard the commotion so clearly then the fire alarm starting blaring. Someone pulled the fire alarm. I believe it was another guest that also heard the cries for help. From the sounds of his voice I believe he was on drugs and was having a bad trip but ofcourse no security would not disclose anything. That family did get kicked out that night from the hotel. My husband stayed up until 6 am trying to get more info and also they were fixing the fire alarm glass that had been broken which kept us up and he saw a woman from that room pack up all their belongings and leave the room where the teen and man was. It was the room directly under mine on the 1st floor, and all security said that it was “something domestic”.

lazyboy97o

Let's say they think somebody pulled the alarm as a prank. They cannot say that unless the person is actually charged and convicted, or else it can be considered slanderous.
Even if they named someone, opining that a person committed a crime is protected speech. There would be no need to name the person and you cannot though slander and defame an anonymous person.

JohnD

Well it is, because the people who were staying in that building that night also saw the shirtless teen. So only the people there knows what he’s talking about
Honestly. Who cares? It's 3am and the dude was probably sleeping with his shirt off when he was woken up and headed out the door. I'd expect that to be kind of normal actually. You're not dressed for park touring.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Staying at Pop Century, fire alarm just went off for 15 minutes before being turned off. False alarm apparently. Everyone had to evacuate. No cast members anywhere for explanation. Any chance I can ask for compensation? Was trying to rest well for early entry.
I would just sue. $186 lawsuit. Get em guuuuurl.

Phonedave

Even if they named someone, opining that a person committed a crime is protected speech. There would be no need to name the person and you cannot though slander and defame an anonymous person.

The OP does not what somebody opining. They wanted an explanation. A note that says "there was a disturbance and with think it was somebody on drugs" is not going to help.

The mere potential for litigation, a belligerent guest at the counter, or somebody demanding a further explanation is more than enough reason not to leave a note.

rbb987

I've experienced middle-of-the-night fire alarms at hotels before (not Disney), and unfortunately your experience was not unusual. Hotel staff can never be found, guests are never told when they can safely return to their rooms, and no explanation is ever given after the fact.

graphite1326

Staying at Pop Century, fire alarm just went off for 15 minutes before being turned off. False alarm apparently. Everyone had to evacuate. No cast members anywhere for explanation. Any chance I can ask for compensation? Was trying to rest well for early entry.
LOL well when you get my age getting up at 3 AM is normal. The older you get the less you sleep.

The Colonel

Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannsson had a similar incident at the Park Hyatt Tokyo. And Murray was trying be well rested for his Suntory Whiskey commercial filming. It could happen anywhere.

adam.adbe

I was at AKL last week and a fire alarm went off. Fortunately it was about 5:45AM so most people handled it with grace. I noticed a few kids with bleary eyes later in the day, but it's Disney so that doesn't mean much. A bunch of us ended up corralled in the savannah viewing area behind the lobby, so no-one could easily reach us, but a CM used a service vehicle to approach from the savannah side to let us know that the fire crew were in the process of running room checks. The only seriously put out campers I saw were the animals, who clearly thought the CM was about to feed them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom