Poor quality has come up a lot.

ceecee101

When do you guys go? We're 2nd week Nov. I have high hopes other than crowds likely being higher than I thought for that week
14-21. Traditionally (years ago) this was a slower week, but yeah haha. who Knows? Fingers crossed! Will be very interesting to see all the new things. Plus F&W still going on for part of that.

thomas998

This woman was really proud of being a "single mother." She said it over and over.

Also, her complaints were way too generic. "Disney has lost its magic." What specifically? "Rude" cast members? When? Where? Cast member attire "scares" her daughter. Really? What is a cast member wearing (they have uniforms) to scare your daughter?

This woman didn't provide any specific examples other than the one off video of Splash Mountain.

She also said, "every family should be able to enjoy that experience." No they shouldn't and Disney has no obligation to make that possible. This "Everyone deserves a chance to go to Disney" logic is absolutely insane.

And that isn't to say some of the maintenance, quality concerns aren't true. I just don't think it's as negative as these doom and gloomers make it out to be. And I go a lot more than once/yr with an AP, so I can confidently say it.
I always find the everyone should be able to go arguments... If you forced Americans to go to Disneyland until Disneyland was at capacity it would take roughly 11 years to force everyone to go... which would mean you could only go once every 11 years. Does that really sound like it's feasible? Better yet assume the wacky lady meant everyone on the planet then you are going to take hundreds of years to get everyone through at least once so you really will be pushing corpses through the turnstiles at some point.

Chi84

Premium Member
I always find the everyone should be able to go arguments... If you forced Americans to go to Disneyland until Disneyland was at capacity it would take roughly 11 years to force everyone to go... which would mean you could only go once every 11 years. Does that really sound like it's feasible? Better yet assume the wacky lady meant everyone on the planet then you are going to take hundreds of years to get everyone through at least once so you really will be pushing corpses through the turnstiles at some point.
I don’t think those people mean that everyone in the world should be forced to go to Disney - just that everyone who wants to go should be able to do so with reasonable means and effort.

GimpYancIent

Yes. TWDC does not care how or where the guests / visitors / tourists and fans get the funds to go to any Disney properties nor if the experience is a good or bad one. Just fork over the money, next!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This woman was really proud of being a "single mother." She said it over and over.

Also, her complaints were way too generic. "Disney has lost its magic." What specifically? "Rude" cast members? When? Where? Cast member attire "scares" her daughter. Really? What is a cast member wearing (they have uniforms) to scare your daughter?

This woman didn't provide any specific examples other than the one off video of Splash Mountain.

She also said, "every family should be able to enjoy that experience." No they shouldn't and Disney has no obligation to make that possible. This "Everyone deserves a chance to go to Disney" logic is absolutely insane.

And that isn't to say some of the maintenance, quality concerns aren't true. I just don't think it's as negative as these doom and gloomers make it out to be. And I go a lot more than once/yr with an AP, so I can confidently say it.
So then we’re still in “TAKE MY MONEY?!?”
Mode?

No concerns will dent the armor?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. TWDC does not care how or where the guests / visitors / tourists and fans get the funds to go to any Disney properties nor if the experience is a good or bad one. Just fork over the money, next!
It’s trending that way…sadly

A lot of our speculation these days is gauging “to what level”??

That alone is a failure by park management. This is what loyal fans do now?

They’re gonna regret it…maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow…but soon
Here’s looking at you, kid

Chef Mickey

I mean, look at the condition Splash Mountain is in right now:

How Do Ya Do
• 1st Frog stuck turned away from goose
• 3rd Goose stuck leaning too far over
• Bridge Goose not moving
• Mr. Bluebird not moving mouth
• Worklights on over Raccoon/Porcupine
• Show light out over Br'er Raccoon
• Shadow not playing
• Br'er Bear only moving his head up and down
• Br'er Fox barely moving, not moving mouth
• Hopping Br'er Rabbit still broken
• Lights out on Br'er Frog
• Br'er Frog not moving
• Br'er Roadrunner has massive air leak
• Lights out on possum trio
• Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear not moving at top of dip-drop
• Br'er Rabbit lights out
• Br'er Fox audio still broken
• Br'er Bear audio sounds very blown out

Laughin' Place/Burrow Lament
• Three spinning beehives not working
• Beehive Br'er Bear not moving
• Laughing Br'er Rabbit only not moving mouth
• Br'er Fox behind him barely moving
• Spinning beehive behind Br'er Fox broken
• No water effects working
• Both turtles not moving
• First Turtle gyster broken
• Second Frog jaw stuck open
• Br'er Rabbit in beehive not moving
• Both vultures barely moving
• Tied up Br'er Rabbit not moving
• Br'er Fox shadow not playing
• Br'er Bear "Briar patch?" not playing.

Zip A Dee Doo Dah
• One of the swamp boys missing
• Hen missing a hat
• Organ pig not moving
• Zip a Dee Lady not rocking back and forth
• Br'er Frog not moving
• Saddlesore Swanson not moving
• Entire gator attack sequence frozen
• Br'er Rabbit moving very slowly
• Mr. Bluebird only moving his mouth

Even if they are getting ready to shut it down for the re-theme, there's no reason for it to be that shavby
What's a shame is a few $30 motors and a some other relatively cheap parts, with some labor, would fix all this stuff.

Rodj

The grayscale window projection in the hallway scene at Tower of Terror is simply laziness. They just need someone during third shift to go through the projector settings.

Chef Mickey

We may be oversimplifying it a bit, but yea, it does seem like 1 technician with a reasonable budget could have all of the above fixed in 2-4weeks.
Agreed. Actually, I think a couple techs with parts could knock that out in literally a week or two. All the tech in the ride is simple, old, and well-documented. No autonomous vehicles, no Wi-Fi drop outs, no charging stations for vehicles, etc. Simple motors, hydraulics, actuators, etc. The other shame is they probably have tons of spare parts in a warehouse just waiting to be used. No one cares.

lovethedon

I'm really enjoying this thread...so entertaining. I felt obligated to add my two cents :)
I think sometimes we remember things a little too fondly and think the "good old days" were actually better than they were. I remember going to Disney World in 1975 and recall seeing all the disposed of plastic fruit juice containers (plastic grapes and oranges) floating in the waterway for the swan boat ride. I also recall several rides that weren't operating (the infamous 20,000 leagues ride) and animatronics not functioning on attractions like the Mickey Mouse Review. And thats when there was only one park (if you don't count River Country);)

It still didn't take away from my enjoyment and it still doesn't today.

So...its apparent the more things change, the more they stay the same.

erasure fan1

I think sometimes we remember things a little too fondly and think the "good old days" were actually better than they were. I remember going to Disney World in 1975 and recall seeing all the disposed of plastic fruit juice containers (plastic grapes and oranges) floating in the waterway for the swan boat ride. I also recall several rides that weren't operating (the infamous 20,000 leagues ride) and animatronics not functioning on attractions like the Mickey Mouse Review. And thats when there was only one park
I remember things being broken back in the day as well. I think the difference is the effort to fix them. I remember trips where things weren't working and the next day it was fine. There are things now that don't get fixed years down the road. I haven't been in the parks since 2016 and I would bet a lot of the same issues from that trip, are still issues now.

We all know the Yeti and it's become a running joke at this point. But it really is a great example of the problem. We know they won't restore it to its original glory. But the supposed best creative minds in the business can't find something better than a strobe light? They can, but Disney is content with, yea it's good enough.

Chef Mickey

I remember things being broken back in the day as well. I think the difference is the effort to fix them. I remember trips where things weren't working and the next day it was fine. There are things now that don't get fixed years down the road. I haven't been in the parks since 2016 and I would bet a lot of the same issues from that trip, are still issues now.

We all know the Yeti and it's become a running joke at this point. But it really is a great example of the problem. We know they won't restore it to its original glory. But the supposed best creative minds in the business can't find something better than a strobe light? They can, but Disney is content with, yea it's good enough.
It's probably more so that there are people who care, but more people who manage budgets. I work at a Fortune 5 company and the amount of insanity it takes to get budget to do a project is unbelievable. They are simply managing costs and it's not "worth it" to fix the Yeti.

The trouble is, this kind of thinking is financially sound in the short term, but not in the long term. My opinion is everything has to be managed as a book - A large "overall" strategy. Trying to take every single incident and do ROI analysis on it will lead you down a path of doom. Not everything you do will be profitable, cost effective, or even financially logical.

However, managing the business for a quality and premium experience forces good management to spend money on things like the Yeti and other maintenance. Disney has bad management at the moment. The Yeti is also integral to the ride experience, so one could argue it is more critical than the broken actuator on Splash. It's all important, however, if you want to maintain the Disney brand over time.

Last edited:

jloucks

It's probably more so that there are people who care, but more people who manage budgets. I work at a Fortune 5 company and the amount of insanity it takes to get budget to do a project is unbelievable. They are simply managing costs and it's not "worth it" to fix the Yeti.

The trouble is, this kind of thinking is financially sound in the short term, but not in the long term. My opinion is everything has to be managed as a book - A large "overall" strategy. Trying to take every single incident and do ROI analysis on it will lead you down a path of doom. Not everything you do will be profitable, cost effective, or even financially logical.

However, managing the business for a quality and premium experience forces good management to spend money on things like the Yeti and other maintenance. Disney has bad management at the moment. The Yeti is also integral to the ride experience, so one could argue it is more critical than the broken actuator on Splash. It's all important, however, if you want to maintain the Disney brand over time.
I mean, you're right, I do agree.

But, look at it another way, if you don't know that the Yeti can move, is it really that critical? You cannot be critical of something you are not aware of.

My point being, if the Yeti is broken long enough, people will forget about what they are missing. Problem solved! ...in a Dilbertian sort of way.

Chef Mickey

I mean, you're right, I do agree.

But, look at it another way, if you don't know that the Yeti can move, is it really that critical? You cannot be critical of something you are not aware of.

My point being, if the Yeti is broken long enough, people will forget about what they are missing. Problem solved! ...in a Dilbertian sort of way.
It’s true, but Disney supposedly makes premium attractions. People won’t realize if many things work or not, but psychologically, won’t be as amazed as otherwise would be. This leads to the brand erosion over time. I believe that’s happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom