Pool Floaties

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Hi Everyone!

Quick question now that I'm taking my first trip to WDW next month with my 6m old, do the resorts allow baby Floaties? For example, we have a little pool float that's shaped like a car for when he goes to my aunt's house. Is this something we'd be allowed to use for him? Or should I bring his life jacket down with us? We didn't bring my daughter for her first trip until she was 5 so it wasn't a concern then and I don't remember if I'd seen any of them or not.

Thanks!

Hcalvert

I have seen people use them in the quiet pools. I don't spend a lot of time at the feature pools. Always bring a life jacket as sometimes Disney does not have enough or are not the right size.

nickys

Premium Member
No, you cant in any pool that has lifeguards, also no balls or any kind unless they don't have a blow up valve

I've seen them in the BLT pool, and Kidani. Both have life guards. Come to think of it, there were also kids playing with beach balls too at BLT, all the time.

I don't see why there would be a problem for a baby that small. A 4 year old in something similar, fair enough. But a baby under 1 is way too young to be in a normal life vest that they provide; for a start they could be way too small for them.

Dave B

That is cool, I can tell you that you can't at Caribbean, Beach and Yacht Club, Polynesian, Port Orleans( both of them) Pop Century and the All Stars, we have been asked by the lifeguards to remove them, even had my daughter in tears a few years ago, she couldn't understand why she couldn't play with her pool toy and float

MaryJaneP

We have also seen the lifeguards ask guests to remove floaties, but this was awhile ago and prior to the fencing. It was at CR and the pool was kinda crowded, so it may have been, at least partially, space dependent. It was also our understanding that floaties of any kind were not allowed. We were told it was WDW lifejackets or nothing. And it was not a bus driver that told us this.

NelleBelle

I'll 2nd the Disney lifejackets or nothing thing. On a Disney cruise, I took a USCG-approved life-jacket for my son to use when we snorkeled and he wanted it at Castaway Cay--he was told to remove it and use a Disney lifejacket (which looked to be in horrible shape). But, we did getaway with using at POFQ when my son was just a toddler one of those swimsuits with the built-in lifejacket and we were never told anything. Granted, this doesn't help the OP 😊

nickys

Premium Member
I think OP should take both. With a baby that young, they may be OK with it, but have the normal one too.

It may also depend on how crowded the pools are.

correcaminos

I'd leave that type of floaties at home. I have seen those not be allowed at many of the pools. I would bring your life jacket though. We brought our own because they often didn't have the right ones in the right size for us. We were never told to take them off. I've seen a lot of other kids wearing their own life vest types as well.

jaklgreen

I have seen many little babies in the little floatie rings at a bunch of different resorts. They might have exceptions at stormalong bay, or at super buys times. But I would bring it and at worst, they will tell you that you can't use it. But as long as it is not too big, you probably will be fine.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think people are talking about two different things (although the answer is the same.) Floaties can refer to both those that go around the upper arm to make a child more buoyant. It can also refer to a raft like device which has a small seat for babies and toddlers to sit in while they float around - hopefully with an adult holding on to it!

I have not been to a pool in FL (with a lifeguard) that allows either, but perhaps there are still some around. The rafts are dangerous because they can hide someone in trouble underwater (imagine a dozen or so floating in a pool) and the arm floaties are dangerous when an adult does not supervise closely, and can still allow a child to slip face first underwater. A life vest is so much safer.

I'm sure that there are times when the lifeguard decides to ignore a violation because the danger is not worth the hassle of imposing the rule - maybe it's obvious that the parents are being extremely safe and protective, and the pool is almost empty. It's just easier to say "No....." rather than have to deal with the fallout of case by case decisions.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
What I was referring to was these. https://www.amazon.com/INTEX-59574-...=1524324193&sr=8-14&keywords=pool+floats+baby. I have seen plenty of these allowed in the pools.

I'm a little surprised they're allowed in the pools with lifeguards because of the lack of visibility underneath them - not of the baby riding in it, but not being able to see the bottom of the pool underneath the float, especially if there is more than one "clumped" in the same area- although I could see them being allowed in the quiet pools.

But they are dangerous, and an adult MUST have a hand on it at all times. They can flip and trap a baby/toddler underwater so someone has to be right there 100% of the time.

nickys

Premium Member
What I was referring to was these. https://www.amazon.com/INTEX-59574-...=1524324193&sr=8-14&keywords=pool+floats+baby. I have seen plenty of these allowed in the pools.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. And yes, I have seen them at Bay Lake, the villas pool at BC (which doesn't have lifeguards) and at Kidani.
I think people are talking about two different things (although the answer is the same.) Floaties can refer to both those that go around the upper arm to make a child more buoyant. It can also refer to a raft like device which has a small seat for babies and toddlers to sit in while they float around - hopefully with an adult holding on to it!

I have not been to a pool in FL (with a lifeguard) that allows either, but ............ the arm floaties are dangerous when an adult does not supervise closely, and can still allow a child to slip face first underwater. A life vest is so much safer.

Interesting. In the U.K., the arm bands (as we call them) are used all the time. We have the belts with floats looped onto a piece of rope and the arm bands, which are commonly used in swimming lessons. The beginners in the primary 4 class I've companies this year (8/9 year olds) all used them. And I think they're fine for toddlers, really once they can hold their head up. Life vests are rare over here for swimming, just water sports.

But yes, parental supervision required at all times. I would never be more than two steps away from an under 4 year old wearing them. And even older unless they were confident in the water.

RememberWhen

We used a puddle jumper
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00364E0C6?selectObb=new
With no problems at he main Boardwalk pool in the fall of 2016. Our son also had a snorkel and flippers but he was asked to take those off. The puddle jumpers wouldn’t be good for a tiny baby, but are coast guard approved life vests and way more comfortable than the Disney ones.
There are lots of infant life vests on the market. I would bring one of those.

21stamps

I've seen them in the BLT pool, and Kidani. Both have life guards. Come to think of it, there were also kids playing with beach balls too at BLT, all the time.

I don't see why there would be a problem for a baby that small. A 4 year old in something similar, fair enough. But a baby under 1 is way too young to be in a normal life vest that they provide; for a start they could be way too small for them.
Probably liability issues here.

A baby in that kind of float can drown if flipped, too many people around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom