Polynesian vs. Wilderness lodge

Yankees23

Is staying at Polynesian a better bet than staying at the Wilderness Lodge? We just upgraded from the Wilderness and have never stayed there before.

tigsmom

depends on your tastes. We have stayed at both and we like the WL better.
The rooms at the Poly are larger and it's on the monorail with easy access to the TTC as well (good with little kids). What we didn't like is that the restaurants and shops are located in a separate building, what we did like is the themeing and the fact you can watch the MK fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant from the beach.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Both are great places, my personal preference is the Poly. I love the theming there, the view of the castle, watching the fireworks from the beach, and the dining options. I also prefer being on the monorail if I'm at a MK resort, because of the convenience.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

We too like the WL. My husband loves the theming and the laid back atmosphere. We have stayed at both resorts and, while I would gladly return to the Poly, my husband would prefer to always stay at the WL.

If you haven't been to the WL, take an hour or two to visit, walk around the resort and see what you think. Its beautiful and worth the time.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

i don't think you can go wrong with either one. for me the negative for wl is the fact that they're so close to mk but you still have to either take a bus or slow ferry to get to mk. negative at the poly is the crowds that their restaurants draw.

Upvote 0

ThatMouse

Poly for sure. Monorail access to the other resorts - great for dining plans, gift shops, or hanging out. I like the pool area better at Poly. Either resort is nice though.

Upvote 0

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
both are great resorts. stayed at both and they each have their pros and cons. its just about your taste. transportation was never an issue at either. the boat ride to and from MK to WL was great. the monorail is great from poly, but really you will have a great stay at either. That said, if i were deciding between the two, i'd pick poly.

Upvote 0

durangojim

i don't think you can go wrong with either one. for me the negative for wl is the fact that they're so close to mk but you still have to either take a bus or slow ferry to get to mk. negative at the poly is the crowds that their restaurants draw.

At times, the boat can be faster to get to/from the MK than you can by monorai.

Upvote 0
We've stayed at both and I would say it definately depends on your taste. I loved the Poly.'s atmosphere, the restaurants, the general theming, the location, use of the monorail. We stayed at WL due to the fantastic reviews. The location is good, the boats were great reliable transportation, the theming was great, the restaurants were great as well. However, I personally am not person that enjoys even the idea of the outdoors, I have found. I didn't like the wildlife, the feeling of staying in some remote area even though reality is you are staying in luxury. I'm a beach girl not and outdoorsy girl, what can I say? So it really depends on what you like.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

I know both resorts, stayed at the WL in 2007 for 4 days and in the Poly in 2010 for 5 days and I loved both. However the WL has smaller rooms than the Poly but they have better housekeeping at the WL.
The problem with the WL is, that also it's a MK area resort it has no monorail. You have boats to the MK and buses to MK and the rest of the World. The monorail at the Poly is a BIG perk but when I was at the WL the bus transportation was very reliable and fast.
Both resorts are WDI-theming at it's best, it is really hard to say which one is better, the Polys lobby is a beauty, but the WL lobby is nothing less than overwhelming and breathtaking! It's a place where you can sit down and let the time go by and do people-watching. The pools in both resorts are beautiful but the volcano pool at the Poly is still more impressive than the (smaller) pool at the WL. BTW both pools are too small considering the size of the resort but that is a major design problem with most deluxe resorts.
If you stay at the WL it's a little like staying in Yellowstone or Yosemite NP but WDW is only a bus trip away, if you stay at the Poly it's like staying in the South Seas but a boat or a monorail will bring you to the MK in less than 5 minutes.
Both are great.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We love the WL...we have not stayed at the Poly and not sure we will. We prefer a king bed and only the suites in one building have kings at the Poly. I might try the poly someday if I ever get a solo or girls trip.

Upvote 0

linn9431

We loved the WL but we would like to try the poly in the future for lots of reasons. The WL is really awesome and the area around the resort is very relaxing.

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

:wave: We're facing the same dilemma right now for our November trip. We have the Poly booked but want an AP passholder rate.. If we can't get an AP rate (or a general public discount rate) I think we're gonna switch to the WL. I've been to both before and they are both GORGEOUS!!! I like the idea of the different longhouses at Poly but it really is convenient to have everything under one roof like at the WL. We;ve only stayed at All Star resorts before so we're used to walking from our room to the main building... Its all about what you prefer... No matter where you stay, you'll have a blast!! :)

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

They are both lovely resorts, you can't go wrong with either. I prefer Wilderness Lodge as it is all in one building and the staff are exceptionally good, although the rooms at the Poly are larger. Also do remember Poly costs quite a bit more than WL. Whichever you choose, have a great time.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

I know both resorts, stayed at the WL in 2007 for 4 days and in the Poly in 2010 for 5 days and I loved both. However the WL has smaller rooms than the Poly but they have better housekeeping at the WL.
The problem with the WL is, that also it's a MK area resort it has no monorail. You have boats to the MK and buses to MK and the rest of the World. The monorail at the Poly is a BIG perk but when I was at the WL the bus transportation was very reliable and fast.
Both resorts are WDI-theming at it's best, it is really hard to say which one is better, the Polys lobby is a beauty, but the WL lobby is nothing less than overwhelming and breathtaking! It's a place where you can sit down and let the time go by and do people-watching. The pools in both resorts are beautiful but the volcano pool at the Poly is still more impressive than the (smaller) pool at the WL. BTW both pools are too small considering the size of the resort but that is a major design problem with most deluxe resorts.
If you stay at the WL it's a little like staying in Yellowstone or Yosemite NP but WDW is only a bus trip away, if you stay at the Poly it's like staying in the South Seas but a boat or a monorail will bring you to the MK in less than 5 minutes.
Both are great.

i totally agree with you spike-in-berlin

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom