Polynesian Village name is coming back

tikiman

Original Poster
Wow, how things have changed! And not for the better.
  • Coats for gentlemen at Papeete Bay Veranda?! Can you imagine that today in the world of Honey Boo Boos and free dining plans?
  • Prime Rib at the South Seas Dining room? Sorry that venue has been closed. And Prime Rib would could never be served today due to "guest demand", right?
  • A pianist at the Tambu Lounge? Sorry, no more live music for you. I believe the gentleman that played guitar there was let go a few years ago.
  • $10 for the luau show!! That will buy you a club sandwich today at Captain Cook's.

Kaleo (who played at the Tambu Lounge) was let go in 2008 but brought back to work at the Sprit of Aloha Show after so many complaints came in that they made him "retire". He has been there since 'Ohana opened and use to play in 'Ohana. He can still be seen playing the drums for the tourch lighting sometimes. A song he wrote is used by Disney with no royalties paid to him and he did some voice over stuff for the new Aulani.

tikiman

Original Poster
Interesting, I thought this went into the early 90's. I could be wrong, but I swear there was signage in some locations that included "Village" in my trips in the late 80's and early 90s.

Could have still been some signs left but officially they changed the name in 1985, the same year they opened up Moorea adn Pago Pago longhouses.

Clamman73

Wow, how things have changed! And not for the better.
  • Coats for gentlemen at Papeete Bay Veranda?! Can you imagine that today in the world of Honey Boo Boos and free dining plans?
  • Prime Rib at the South Seas Dining room? Sorry that venue has been closed. And Prime Rib would could never be served today due to "guest demand", right?
  • A pianist at the Tambu Lounge? Sorry, no more live music for you. I believe the gentleman that played guitar there was let go a few years ago.
  • $10 for the luau show!! That will buy you a club sandwich today at Captain Cook's.

The South Seas had that prime rib or beef carving station if I remember right???

aladdin2007

tikiman do you have any photos of Coral Isle before it became Kona? I looked around your facebook page but didnt see any. Coral Isle was our favorite place to eat before they turned it into an open air airport style. Kona is great and all but the former was more cozy and a walk in before the days of all this reservation mess.

tikiman

Original Poster
tikiman do you have any photos of Coral Isle before it became Kona? I looked around your facebook page but didnt see any. Coral Isle was our favorite place to eat before they turned it into an open air airport style. Kona is great and all but the former was more cozy and a walk in before the days of all this reservation mess.

I wish I did have a photo of it. Back then I did not bring my camera when I went to eat so I never took any myself. If you ever find any photos let me know. I have a page of things that are gone from the Polynesian I would like to put a photo of it on.

Can you imagine back then walking around taking photos of a restaurant of of your food. People would look at you like you are crazy.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I wish I did have a photo of it. Back then I did not bring my camera when I went to eat so I never took any myself. If you ever find any photos let me know. I have a page of things that are gone from the Polynesian I would like to put a photo of it on.

Can you imagine back then walking around taking photos of a restaurant of of your food. People would look at you like you are crazy.

My Mom made a snark comment when I was photographing the tonga toast.... but now she appreciates it because when she sees that pic, she goes "oh my goddddd so goooood"

I think with the digitial camera age, came the days of photographing *everything*, including bathrooms. If I were to have a 'real' film camera, I would have needed 50 rolls of film (24 pics per roll) for the amount of pics I took last time!

I'd love to see more old school pics of the Polynesian.

tikiman

Original Poster
My Mom made a snark comment when I was photographing the tonga toast.... but now she appreciates it because when she sees that pic, she goes "oh my goddddd so goooood"

I think with the digitial camera age, came the days of photographing *everything*, including bathrooms. If I were to have a 'real' film camera, I would have needed 50 rolls of film (24 pics per roll) for the amount of pics I took last time!

I'd love to see more old school pics of the Polynesian.

I think there was a little more respect back then to not stick a camera in everyones face. Now people record or take pictures of everything. I would like to enjoy an outdoor show or fireworks without 50 Ipads held up blocking everything. Does anyone watch anything live anymore or only through filming it? ;)

tikiman

Original Poster

Found this photo

EmpressLillyBreakfast1983-05.jpg

tikiman

Original Poster
I'll bet this wasn't a Character Breakfast, either. The people appear to have actually made an effort to look neat (good) but there also appears to be someone holding a cigarette in the background (bad.) Guess it's a trade-off.

I don't remember if the COral Ilse Cafe (or before that the Coral Isle Coffee Shop) had a character breakfast. I know Souths Seas room and Papeete Bay did.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's what it was called from the time it opened in 1971 to around the 1990's.

It seems more authentic to you because it is. It's not blandly corporate and fake with a thick layer of marketing blather on top, like most of the stuff they come up with in TDO nowadays. MAGICAL! DREAMS! SOCIAL MEDIA!

Back when things were real, and Walt Disney World had legit local charm....
wdw1972_p4.jpg

fp300300LARGE.jpg

Notice the UNIQUE merchandise, People actually want to buy this rather than insipid One Disney c---

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom