Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge?

westie

We just got back from WL. I must admit its out there and can take up to a half hour to reach your destination. Room was nice, restaurant was nice, pool looked very inviting even though we didn't have time and shower water pressure was excellent.

disneymummy

Original Poster
Keep in mind that each time you leave poly on the monorail you will go through a security check. When transferring to the Epcot line, you will go through security at the Epcot entrance again. This was one of the only down sides to the new security checks for monorail use.
With us both being military veterans this doesn't bother us, we're used to it!

Sirgaz

We're from the UK as well and are looking to book for Oct 2020. I was originally looking at the Poly but I think cost may preclude that hotel from the list. We'll see once the official prices come out around Easter, but it is expensive compared to hotels around Epcot/DHS.
I loved the fact that it was on the monorail for MK, walkable to the TTC for access to Epcot and has the great views for the fireworks.

lawdogNOLA

Poly. WL is a great resort (and it's just hard to beat it for Christmas Holiday theming), but the intangibles for disability are so much stronger for the Poly. Plus the fireworks are much more viewable from the Poly. But for using wheelchairs, it effectively gives you pretty easy access to the restaurants at both the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary. You should also be able to access the Ticket and Transportation Center fairly easily by wheelchair and ECV; the resort monorail from the Poly goes GF, Magic Kingdom, Contemporary, TTC and then Poly, meaning that almost every time it will be faster to just roll over to the TTC if Epcot is your plan for that day. One advantage the WL has over the Poly (as well as the GF), is that if you're staying in the hotel, or the Cooper Creek villas, not the other DVC villas, you can get to and from registration and the common areas without having to go outside.

Now, as to old rooms versus new rooms, don't take that into consideration right now. WL is in the midst of a room refurbishment (not sure if it's finished), so room freshness is not going to be an issue. But room size is: The Poly has bigger rooms, and that makes a difference for wheelchairs. The Poly seems like the best choice for you and your family. As for us, even when not staying there, the Poly is always part of our trip, dinner there (usually 'Ohana), character breakfast at 'Ohana, and grabbing Pineapple Dole Whip outside the MK. For us, the Poly wins in every way, except for the holidays, where the theming, massive fireplaces and atmosphere at the WL easily win.

Stitch826

I've stayed at the Polynesian five times, while I have never stayed at Wilderness. I have eaten at one of the restaurants at Wilderness though. I would certainly recommend Polynesian. It is on the monorail line, meaning that transportation to the Magic Kingdom is a couple stops away. (The monorail also stops at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian resorts, giving you additional shopping and dining options.) You can get to Epcot fairly easily too via monorail by transferring at the Transportation and Ticket Center. The theming at Polynesian is beautiful.

s&k'smom

For easier transportation I would go with the poly we stayed at the wilderness Lodge in 2017 and it was awesome but the transportation options seem a little easier at the poly

Weather_Lady

I'd cast my vote for the Poly based on its scenic beauty and ease of transportation, but honestly, no matter which one you choose, OP, you can't lose. They're both lovely resorts that offer decently-sized rooms and a nice set of amenities, and do a great job presenting their theme -- my two favorite resorts, in fact.

Last edited:

wlodge_man

I'm not feeling the love for the WL......:depressed:
Why not split between the 2 and experience both?? They will move your luggage for you.
Never stayed at Poly, but it does look very nice, as all the deluxe resorts do.

bunnyman

Stayed at both many times over the years. Can't beat the Poly based on the monorail location and proximity to the TTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom