Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge?

disneymummy

Original Poster
We are from the UK and we're planning a trip with Virgin Holidays in 2020 to celebrate my 40th, DH's 50th and our 10th anniversary. We will be travelling with our then 8 yr DD and 4 1/2 yr old DS. I have been to Disney a fair few times when I was a kid (last trip was 2004!) but was never lucky enough to stay on property. My hubby and our kids have never been.
As it is a special trip we want to make sure we get the right hotel/room location. We have narrowed down our choice to the Poly or Wilderness Lodge. DH and DD will be going to Cape Canaveral for the day so with have the rental car, leaving me and DS using the transportation to go to wherever he chooses to go on the day. I occasionally have to use a power wheelchair so will also need to factor this into our choice. We would love if we could be able to see MK/fireworks from our room but that would depend on the price!
We just don't know which out of these 2 to go for, which room style, or location to try and request!

TrojanUSC

Of the two, Polynesian would be my choice. The rooms are more recently refurbished, while the WL rooms feel stuck in the 90s and quite a bit smaller. You can also get an MK view there, while at WL you can't. Both resorts have lots of accessibility with regard to transportation (the Resort monorail is very convenient to hop to other resorts or to the Magic Kingdom) and Epcot is just a short walk to the Transportation & Ticket Center where you can board the Epcot monorail.

Food-wise it would bother me that WL does not have a proper, sit-down dinner restaurant anymore. One is a character extravaganza, the other is a raucous environment with lots of schtick going on. Polynesian has Kona.

disneymummy

Original Poster
Thank you for that, that has given us something to think about. We hadn't even thought about restaurant's!
We will be using the Dining Plan, which we are still trying to get our heads around, as well as making bookings (having not used the restaurants we have no idea where to go or if the kids will like the options and DS is currently dairy free but hoping he will be back to a non dairy free diet before we go) and then fast pass, there's just so much to think about! 🤯

Marc Davis Fan

Hands down Polynesian. It's a much more beautiful and emotionally resonant atmosphere. And the fact that the rooms are in multiple "longhouses" rather than one central building makes it feel more like an immersive "place" and less like a "hotel." Not to mention the view of Magic Kingdom across the lagoon, the beautiful "torches" that light up the pathways at night, the monorail stopping at the lobby, etc. There's no comparison.

henwen

Plus, even if you don't get a room with a fireworks view, the Poly beach has a fantastic viewing area (with music piped in!). One of my hands-down favorite spots to watch MK firework show.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I love both and have stayed at both, but for those ages and a trip like this Polynesian wins hands down. Better pools, good food options within walking distance, and ability to get to/from the TTC is a bonus.

Especially with a power chair. If the water levels are not right you will have to bus to the MK (though this happens rarely) but not all boat types accommodate power chairs.

disneymummy

Original Poster
It seems to me that somewhere along the monorail route, like Poly, would be better for the power wheelchair. You might like rollingwiththemagicblog for some advice?
Yes any advice we can get would be great. This is going to be the first major trip we will be taking with my power wheelchair.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yes any advice we can get would be great. This is going to be the first major trip we will be taking with my power wheelchair.
Keep in mind that each time you leave poly on the monorail you will go through a security check. When transferring to the Epcot line, you will go through security at the Epcot entrance again. This was one of the only down sides to the new security checks for monorail use.

Miss Bella

Normally I'd say Wilderness lodge, but I stayed there in Sept for the first time in 5 years. I don't think the rooms have been refreshed since the last time I'd stayed there. The rooms look a little tired. I haven't stayed at Poly for 7 years due to cost, but if cost isn't an issue I'd go with the Poly.

harryk

Keep in mind that each time you leave poly on the monorail you will go through a security check. When transferring to the Epcot line, you will go through security at the Epcot entrance again. This was one of the only down sides to the new security checks for monorail use.
I have been told that this is changing so that you don't have to go through security twice. A fellow employee just visited and said that this has already happened at the Magic Kingdom. True or not ?? don't know.

Tuvalu

I have been told that this is changing so that you don't have to go through security twice. A fellow employee just visited and said that this has already happened at the Magic Kingdom. True or not ?? don't know.
There was never a “double security” check issue at Magic Kingdom. Parking lot guests are screened at the TTC; monorail resort guests are screened before boarding. These guests proceed straight to the turnstiles upon arriving at MK. Guests arriving by resort bus or boat are screened in separate areas upon arrival at MK before proceeding to the turnstiles.

The “double security” issue arises for guests who ride the resort monorail to the TTC. They must first go through security at the resort where they board. The TTC is now a “secure” area so guests who park at the TTC intending to take the Epcot monorail must first go through TTC security. Since the Epcot monorail drop off is located outside the Epcot security area, those previously sreeened monorail guests must go through security a second time.

This situation has not been fixed yet.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Security for MK is now at the TTC.

I was at Poly two weeks ago. It hasnt changed.

Kristopher Rannells

Having stayed at both resorts less than a year ago I would pick the Poly every time except Christmas season. WL just does it right decorating for Christmas while the Poly is underwhelming at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom