Polynesian or Grand Floridian?

captainkidd

Which would you choose? I've stayed at the GF once, for just 2 nights and thought it was excellent. We've stayed at the Poly twice. Our 1st stay, I wasn't blown away, but the 2nd stay was great. I'm pushing for the GF, but the wife wants the Poly. All things being equal, which would you choose?

bamillerpa

I think both resorts are wonderful but I still prefer the Poly because 1)I love how it looks at night with all the torches lit, 2)The kids love the Volcano pool, and 3)I always feel like I'm underdressed when at the GF.

Upvote 0

DisGal

Its a tough choice - I really like both and stay at either one each year, but I would have to pick GF. We choose to stay at the GF this year and the main reason is b/c of the rooms at the Poly. We stayed at the Poly last Nov and although I love the size of the rooms I really noticed how dated and dark the decor is. I know the rooms were redone a few years ago, but I really think they are desperatley in need of updating. They need to lighten them up and make them feel more airy. The Poly does have amazing atmosphere, but I give the GF the one up due to the rooms.

Upvote 0

French Quarter

The Poly is my favourite resort on property because of the atmosphere. It really feels like the centre of all the activity. The nighttime is beautiful. You can have fun just wandering around. The food selection is great. It's got the Luau and the sushi bar. You feel like you're outside the whole time, even when you're inside.

Of course, you could take advantage of all of this if staying at the GF since it's just a monorail ride away. I also love the GF, especially the piano and the afternoon tea. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

It's like choosing a favorite child! This decision is much easier decided by a coin toss than rational discussion, but here's my two cents.

The pools are about the same at both hotels...though both of the GF's pools are more happening than the Poly's, but I like the Poly's pool areas better. Many people are turned off by the elegance of the GF, but the truth is that it's pretty casual. The hotel is very relaxed but beautiful. It just screams "magic". That said, the Polynesian has much better theming, and better transportation options, too. (You can walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center).

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Its a tough choice - I really like both and stay at either one each year, but I would have to pick GF. We choose to stay at the GF this year and the main reason is b/c of the rooms at the Poly. We stayed at the Poly last Nov and although I love the size of the rooms I really noticed how dated and dark the decor is. I know the rooms were redone a few years ago, but I really think they are desperatley in need of updating. They need to lighten them up and make them feel more airy. The Poly does have amazing atmosphere, but I give the GF the one up due to the rooms.

This is my thing as well. The Poly's rooms are huge, which is nice with a family of 5, but the longhouses are kind of worn down. There's a musty smell to them, and the outsides of them aren't indictive of the price. The GF's outer buildings and rooms seemed spotless to me.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
We switched today to a Lagoon View room at the Poly, which actually was about $500 more than a standard view room at the GF. To me, nothing can beat being on the balcony overlooking Seven Seas Lagoon.

I'd really like to stay at the GF again, but with 2 of my kids at their age (4), I don't think it's a good idea. We went over there a couple of times for breakfast and dinner. It's very beautiful, but the atmopshere is kind of quiet, and my kids aren't. I know all Disney Resorts are for kids as well, but we don't want to disturb anyone on their vacation, and my kids tends to be noisy in the rooms as well. That's a common occurance at the Poly.

It's funny - After our 1st stay at the Poly, I was sure we wouldn't go back. But this last time, we spent more time at the resort, more time at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, and realized not only how beautiful it is, but how convenient it is as well.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I definitely love both - but voted for Poly. Last time we were at GF (only time!!) we kept searching for that channel that plays the old Disney cartoons. A CM told me it's the only resort on property that doesn't have it in the rooms (they have it in the lobby :shrug:). Also, my husband overheard a little girl ask her mom what the afternoon tea was like and the woman replied, "it's just like at our house in the Hamptons". We decided that while the resort was gorgeous and the CMs were welcoming, the Poly is just more for people like "us"!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I definitely love both - but voted for Poly. Last time we were at GF (only time!!) we kept searching for that channel that plays the old Disney cartoons. A CM told me it's the only resort on property that doesn't have it in the rooms (they have it in the lobby :shrug:). QUOTE]

Channel 96.

Poly has it. Yacht Club and Wilderness Lodge don't have it anymore either.

Upvote 0
Cartoon Channel

I definitely love both - but voted for Poly. Last time we were at GF (only time!!) we kept searching for that channel that plays the old Disney cartoons. A CM told me it's the only resort on property that doesn't have it in the rooms (they have it in the lobby :shrug:). Also, my husband overheard a little girl ask her mom what the afternoon tea was like and the woman replied, "it's just like at our house in the Hamptons". We decided that while the resort was gorgeous and the CMs were welcoming, the Poly is just more for people like "us"!

Actually that channel is 96 or 98. I had issues finding it at the Poly but I did find it.

Upvote 0

Scooter

While both resorts are awesome, I would choose Disney's Polynesian Resort simple because you can (A) walk to the boat that takes you to The Magic Kingdom and (B) Walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center to hop on a monorail to EPCOT. If you stay at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort you have to take a Monorail to the TTC which is the 3rd stop, then get off the monorail, walk down a ramp, and then walk up another ramp to get on the monorail to EPCOT. Also, if you stay at The Grand Floridian, and you want to go to the Magic Kingdom via the monorail, because The Magic Kingdom is the next stop after The Grand Floridian, the monorail is usually packed when you go to get on it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom