Polynesian or Contemporary

rescueranger

Hello all I am new to the group..... so thanks for having me.... I am planning my trip in Jan 2009 and am looking at either staying at the Polynesian or the Contemporary. Each day I flip flop from one to the other so wanted to know if the group could try to sway me one way or the other. Thanks for the help!

GrumpysWife

Welcome to WDWMagic Rescueranger! You cannot go wrong with either choice. I must say, however, that you cannot beat the leisurely walk "home" after Wishes when staying at the Contemporary. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

DormaNesbit

Welcome to WDWMagic Rescueranger! You cannot go wrong with either choice. I must say, however, that you cannot beat the leisurely walk "home" after Wishes when staying at the Contemporary. Have a great time!

Yea Jenell---Is this your first advice since becoming the newest Kingdom Konsultant? Congratulations!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

scarpiapiano

I tried to book the Contemporary in late June during the "buy 4 days get 3 free" promotion. I wanted to stay at the Contemporary because of the cheaper price but I couldn't get in. As stated earlier, you may not have a choice. I'll be staying at the Poly and I'm really excited. I think there are a few advantages in at the Poly.

1) The rooms are a bit larger. The Contemporary's rooms are 394 square feet, larger than any of the other non-monorail resorts but the Poly's rooms are 415 square feet in the original longhouses built in 1971. In 1984 three additional longhouses were built. The rooms in these newer buildings are 476 feet. That makes them the largest rooms in any Disney resort with the exception of Fort Wilderness, the Vacation Club Villas or some of the resort suites. We're going with 3 girls. When we have to fit in a crib and an electric wheelchair along with a ton of girly clothes into a room for seven days, the extra square footage really helps.

2) The Polynesian is the only resort that is accessible to the resort monorail AND the TTC. That means that you don't have to transfer to the Epcot monorail. It also means you can hop a bus to Animal Kingdom or DHS without much of a wait.

3) The Volcano Pool at the Poly. is much more imaginative then the pool at the Contemporary.

4) The Poly. is the midpoint of the monorail service. When staying at the GF your only 3 minutes away from the MK but the GF is the last stop when you're returning after a long day at the MK. When you pick up the monorail at the Contemporary, you have to stop at the TTC, the Polynesian Resort, and the Grand Floridian before you make it to the MK.

5) I feel that the Contemporary is a little cold and unthemed. The Polynesian in my opinion is much warmer and more inviting. There's beautiful lush landscaping with exotic birds and other animals.

Both resorts are great but I'm excited for our trip to the Polynesian.

Have a great trip!:wave:

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

My Story

We've never stayed at a WDW Deluxe before. To make it more affordable for our February trip, I planned a split stay, 4 nights at Coronado Springs and the last 3 nights in a Contemporary tower - theme park view. I was very very excited about staying at Contemporary ... it was our first choice due to the proximity to MK, not only for the walk but also for the view of Wishes.

But then the Buy 4 Get 3 Free promo came out. We couldn't get 7 nights at Contemporary, but we got 7 nights at Polynesian in a theme park view room. For the same price as 4 nights at a Mod and 3 nights at Contemporary, we're getting ALL 7 NIGHTS at Polynesian.

I almost didn't take this great deal; that's how attached I was to Contemporary. I didn't want to give up that balcony so close to the WIshes fireworks (Wishes is, by far, my wife's favorite single thing in all of Walt Disney World, and this trip is for her 40th birthday). I was on the phone with the reservations center, and when I learned of this opportunity for all 7 nights at Poly, I DIDN'T jump at it. I said I'd have to discuss it with my wife.

I was really torn. I didn't know what to do. But when I explained the situation to my wife, as the words were leaving my lips I was thinking to myself, "Hey! Idiot!!! Go for the Polynesian!!!"

And that's what we did.

Since that time 2 weeks ago, all I've been doing is dreaming of Poly and thinking of all the advantages, such as the proximity to the TTC, which means we can walk to a direct monorail to MK and a direct monorail to Epcot (when you board the monorail inside Contemporary, you have to switch monorail lines at TTC if you are heading to Epcot).

I'm ALL about the Poly right now ... very very excited, and not looking back.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I just stayed at the Polynesian for the 1st time this past summer. I was highly disappointed. It's not worth the money. The rooms are big and it's great having the monorail, but the longhouses are kind of messy, the elevators are small and falling apart, and the windows look like they haven't been cleaned since opening in 1971.

The Contemporary on the other hand holds no appeal to me at all. Too much of a business feel to it, and there's too much construction going on to make it pleasant.

If you want to stay near the Magic Kingdom, I'd look at the Grand Floridian, or better yet, the Wilderness Lodge which will save you a lot of money.

Upvote 0

Scooter

It's a toss up.

Disney's Polynesian Resort is a short walk to The Ticket and Transportation Center.
Disney's Contemporary Resort is a short walk to The Magic Kingdom.

Disney's Polynesian Resort has the Kona Cafe and we Love to eat breakfast there.
Disney's Contemporary Resort has Chef Mickey's which is great as well.

Disney's Polynesian Resort has great views and the tropical theming is awesome.
Disney's Contemporary Resort has great views from the Tower rooms and has a monorail running through the middle of it..

Disney's Polynesian Resort has a nicer pool.
Disney's Contemporary Resort has better gift shops.

My wife and I switch from one to the other each trip and whenever we stay at one, we always visit the other.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I like the Contemporary, but understand the construction noise is loud right now.

I'd stick with the Poly, given those two choices.

(I always plug the Y&BC, I think they are the best resorts in the world. Others can start the fight now....)

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

The other deluxes never get as much love. Both the Yacht Club and Beach Club are gorgeous, have the best pool at all of WDW, and are a boat ride (or walk) away from Epcot and the Studios.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The other deluxes never get as much love. Both the Yacht Club and Beach Club are gorgeous, have the best pool at all of WDW, and are a boat ride (or walk) away from Epcot and the Studios.

It's all about location and heritage. I'd rank the Poly and CR below Yacht & Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Grand Floridian, but they're probably the 2 most popular in terms of occupancy.

For the record, the Contemporary consistantly ranks as the lowest in terms of guest satisfaction of ANY Disney Resort, Deluxe, Moderate or Value.

Upvote 0

Mr.EPCOT

The Polynesian Village has always been my favorite. Awesome theme, awesome restaurants, awesome pool, and, I would love to emphasize above everything else, RELAXING! SOOTHING is also a good word. But the Contemporary is by no means a bad experience, it is excellent as well.

Disney right next door??? It IS Disney...sigh...........

Yes, that is one of my pet peeves, too, as if being at one of the hotels or EPCOT or something is somehow less Disney than being at the Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Harptattoo

The Poly is awesome! I never stayed at the Contemporary but I find it a bit colder than the Poly. The poster who indicated that the Contemporary has seen more TLC lately is correct but I just can't get passed coming home from a long day at the parks and walking the torch lit paths with the sound of pacific island music in your ears, you just can't beat it! My vote is for the POLY!!!

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

Poly all the way

I vote for the Poly hands down! It is a physically beautiful property with the longhouses and the foliage/flowers. And the castmembers are all great with an "Aloha!" around every corner. With all the changes it has gone through during the last year or two, it has really stepped it up a notch.
The Contemporary is nice and all but right now there is construction everywhere especially with that DVC building they are constructing next door. Plus, in general, it is too "busy" for me. Everytime I go there I feel like I am going to get trampled and at the Poly, it's a more easy going vibe, more space to spread out. Definitely more in line with relaxation which is what a vacation is all about, at least for DH and I. It gets my vote everytime we visit the world :) Can't wait too see it next month :xmas:

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Tough call. If I had to choose on resort alone i'd def. say Poly. Contemp is kind of blah to me. However, I love the location of Contemp. (being next to MK) Hmmm, Contemp also has my fav. Chef Mickey's, but Poly also has O'Hana's. Although, Poly is so close that i'd have to go with Poly. Yeah, Poly!!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom