Polynesian - Anyone else NOT impressed?

captainkidd

It seems without a doubt, the Polynesian is the most popular Disney Resort. It had always been our dream resort. We finally got the chance to stay there a couple years back, and while we enjoyed it, I certainly wasn't as blown away as most seem to be. Here are a few things I didn't care for that make me feel this way:

- The elevators in the longhouses are small, banged up, and don't sound very secure.

- The GCH, while lovely, gets far too crowded in the evening with other guests.

- Tambu Lounge is great, but like the rest of the GCH, gets way too crowded from Ohana in the evening.

- There's no hot tub.

- Many of the tiki torches weren't lit.

- Bus transportation was worse than any Disney Resort we've stayed at.

- Front desk, while not rude by any means, didn't make us feel overly welcome, and wasn't very efficient.

I think the biggest thing for me was, it just didn't feel like a $400 a night resort. I loved the size and decor of the rooms. I loved the grounds. I loved the theming. I just didn't get the Deluxe type of feeling I get while at the Wilderness Lodge or Grand Floridian.

Samadamz

When I was 7, my parents took me to Disneyworld. This was quite a big deal back then - if you were from the UK it was something most people would only ever do once. One of my memories was leaving the MK via the monorail and going through the Polynesian. It looked to me then to be the best hotel in the world and I longed to stay there. (We were staying in the Travelodge, offsite).

About 25 years later, DH and my 2 DDs and I had been to WDW and wanted to return. I still had my dream of staying in the Polynesian, and so, for part of our holiday, we did. My DH warned that it would not live up to my expectations, and that I would be disappointed. I was not. :D

This is what I love about the Polynesian:

I quoted part of your post because I can say it is exactly the same for me...same story (except the UK part). sigh

I also want to say, unsarcastically, that I am glad the Poly isn't for everyone. Some say the longhouse gets crowded and I agree, so I wouldn't mind a few less visitors ;)

I have stayed at almost all the Disney resorts and can find things I like about all of them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom