Poly vs Contemprary

HouCuseChickie

There is this part of me that wants to try the Poly because so many people seem to be in love with the Poly. That being said, as much as I like hanging out to watch fireworks on the beach, the resort doesn't do much for me. That could all change after one stay there, but it's hard to justify the cost when I only feel so so about the prospect of staying there.

As for the Contemporary...if you were to stay in the garden wing again, you could always make one of your room requests be "a room near the tower." Even the rooms closer to the water but near the pool and beach are a pretty quick walk. Alternately, you could stay in the tower. It would obviously cost a bit more, but you wouldn't have to worry about the walk.

Ultimately, I'd wait to see what happens with the Poly construction, but I'd be more inclined to book the Contemporary just over the convenience and the Disney vibe I get from the place :)

morningstar

No-brainer on the Polynesian, I think. The Contemporary is iconic and I'd like to stay in it once, but the Polynesian is more pleasant, I think. The monorail is just as convenient at either, even though it has less of a cool factor at the Polynesian since it is kind of "just a train station" and doesn't go through. To really get the Contemporary experience I think you'd have to stay in the tower, which is even more expensive, whereas any building in the Polynesian keeps you immersed in the theme.

luv

If I were at the Contemporary, I'd get the water view. Someone on these boards said that the Contemporary has the most expensive parking lot view in the world, lol, and I agree. That Theme Park view is not, IMO, all it's cracked up to be. I'd much rather see pretty water and trees than a parking lot, rooftops, streets and the tops of Space Mountain and the castle.

Many people enjoy the theme park view, but that's my wee opinion. :)

71dsp

If I were at the Contemporary, I'd get the water view. Someone on these boards said that the Contemporary has the most expensive parking lot view in the world, lol, and I agree. That Theme Park view is not, IMO, all it's cracked up to be. I'd much rather see pretty water and trees than a parking lot, rooftops, streets and the tops of Space Mountain and the castle.

Many people enjoy the theme park view, but that's my wee opinion. :)

My wife really wants to try the lake view at BLT, but we all liked watching the fireworks so much from the balcony that we booked a theme park view again this year. The cost isn't that much more over the lake view, but I'm sure we'll try a lake view soon.

We were able to get a room in Tahiti when we stayed at Poly. That view is very nice as well, but you do get some of the boat noise (which is no big deal for us, but may be for others).

We really liked the Poly the year we stayed because we could walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center and get to any park or the Monorail rather quickly. No so anymore. :( Can't beat walking to/from the Magic Kingdom from Contemporary, IMO.

WDWJenn09

We really liked the Poly the year we stayed because we could walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center and get to any park or the Monorail rather quickly. No so anymore. :( Can't beat walking to/from the Magic Kingdom from Contemporary, IMO.

Hello everyone, we are considering a stay at the poly in July 2014. I know there is construction going on and we were just going to chance it. However, I read the post above from 71dsp and wondering if you can clarify your statement above? Can you not walk to the monorail anymore or is the monorail out of service to the Poly while it's undergoing construction? I hope not! :arghh:

Thanks so much.

71dsp

Oh sorry for the confusion. You can still walk to the Ticket & Transportation center to hop on the Monorail, but the bus service at the TTC has been seriously curtailed since the last time we stayed there.

WDWJenn09

Oh sorry for the confusion. You can still walk to the Ticket & Transportation center to hop on the Monorail, but the bus service at the TTC has been seriously curtailed since the last time we stayed there.

Ah, got it. Thank you for your quick reply!

slappy magoo

I agree on the expanding of restaurants. I am surprised they don't automatically put in restaurants in the villas that are specifically geared towards DVC members.

This comment tickles me. It makes it seem like DVC members somehow eat differently than regular folk, and so we need restaurants specifically geared towards us.

"Here is your bison steak sir, will you be taking that through the ear canal or absorbing it through the armpit? And I hope you save some room for our special dessert Asbestos Flambe!"

On topic, I like both. Why I prefer the Contemporary, I don't know, but I do. Sure it seems less exotic and not necessarily Contemporary compared to many modern hotels. I guess it's just a nostalgic thing - as a kid it always looked like THE FUTURE to me and it stirred my imagination, and if it seems less futuristic now, it's because so many other hotel chains picked up on what Disney was trying and ran with it. The Polynesian seems quite distinct in Orlando, but less unique when compared to actual hotels on Polynesian/Hawaiian/Caribbean islands.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

This comment tickles me. It makes it seem like DVC members somehow eat differently than regular folk, and so we need restaurants specifically geared towards us....

Agree, lol, but it is hard to take your comment seriously when looking at your photo. I mean is banana flambé specifically geared enough for you slappy?

jlsHouston

I really want to stay in the Tower at the CONT...The CONT reminds me of what I can remember of the DL Hotel and something about the monorail running through that building continues to appeal to me.
Been fortunate to stay twice at the POLY. Both times asked for Samoa 3rd floor and got the corner room once and the room next to the corner room the second time. Honestly I couldn't have been happier with my room location. The rooms are nice and big and so is the bathroom...
I love the POLY. Captain Cooks has got to be one of the best QS places at a resort and you can get in and out fast even when it is busy unlike say ....ROARING FORKS which is a freaking nightmare when it is busy which is all the time.
I love the POLY stores and Ohana's and getting a pot of press coffee from Kona. I love the property..just walking the paths and sitting around.
It's not my favorite pool but it is pretty nice and I like the slide.
The kids LOVED Neverland Club.
Something about the POLY just puts a smile on my face...and it sure isn't the CM's who work there because they have got to be the suckiest CM's at a Disney resort I've encountered.
Love riding the monorail to GF to eat or shop or hang in their lobby too...
Love riding the monorail to MK...
LOVED being on the monorail loop

I would not book the POLY again until after the DVC expansion/construction is completely finished though...

jlsHouston

We did not stay in the main building at the CR and I must admit it was a haul for us from the main building. Not so much so that it would deter us but it I prefer to be closer next time. :)

So did you stay at BLT ? I just snagged points on a confirmed reservation for March 14-16th which is the last weekend of our spring break! Staying at BLT is a first for us! It's not technically the CONT but isn't there a walkway connecting the 2 ?
I have a studio for 4 of us but still not sure if DD32, the grandkids mom is coming so it might just end up being me and the kiddos...Are there 2 pools that the CONT and BLT share ?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So did you stay at BLT ? I just snagged points on a confirmed reservation for March 14-16th which is the last weekend of our spring break! Staying at BLT is a first for us! It's not technically the CONT but isn't there a walkway connecting the 2 ?
I have a studio for 4 of us but still not sure if DD32, the grandkids mom is coming so it might just end up being me and the kiddos...Are there 2 pools that the CONT and BLT share ?
@Jessica Meier stayed in the south garden wing of the Contemporary which is on the opposite side of the resort (the north wing was demolished in order to build BLT. ) So she and her family had a hefty walk to the main building to ride the monorail or walk to MK.

There is a walkway which connects BLT to the main building. I have read that only guests of BLT may use the BLT pool (I believe it is fenced); not sure if BLT guests can use the Contemporary pools.

jlsHouston

@Jessica Meier stayed in the south garden wing of the Contemporary which is on the opposite side of the resort (the north wing was demolished in order to build BLT. ) So she and her family had a hefty walk to the main building to ride the monorail or walk to MK.

There is a walkway which connects BLT to the main building. I have read that only guests of BLT may use the BLT pool (I believe it is fenced); not sure if BLT guests can use the Contemporary pools.

I hope we can access both pools...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom