Poly Parking question

sjead

We are planning to have dinner at 'Ohana and then head over to the MK for Spectro and Wishes one night during our trip. Is it possible to drive to the Poly and leave the car there after dinner when we go to MK and then take monorail back after park closing? We don't want to drive to TTC after dinner. If this is not ible, does anyone have Any other suggestions? Thanks!

elcheapo

we have stayed there sometime whole days and was never bothered, but belong to disney dining experience and valet park for free and stay all day

Upvote 0

elcheapo

Disnet doesn't tow, or check ages of kids or ask people at the pool if they are guests...Disney does none of that so park there save the $12 and enjoy the MK

Upvote 0

sjead

Original Poster
Um. . .

I didn't mean to start an issue here. I just wanted to check the policy so I did not break any rules. Since we are only having dinner and planning to leave afterwards, we will take the bus or park at the TTC. Thanks for all of the replies though!

Upvote 0

disneyfreakgirl

I was at the Poly last month. We had a late dinner reservation on a Saturday night at Ohanas. We were staying off property so we did pay for parking. We went early so we could walk around the resort and enjoy the bar. When we got to the Poly gate we were stopped and I said we had dinner reservations. I was asked for a photo ID but it was not checked against any reservation list. I wasn't warned of any potential of my car being towed but I was told to have a good evening :wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Do you know for a fact that's the reason those cars were being towed? What I am trying to say is if they really did care about the parking situation they would still be giving you the 3 hour temporary dinning parking permit. How is a roving security CM supposed to tell if you are staying at the resort or just eating if you don't have a permit on your dash...I don't know about you, but I smell a lawsuit if that ever happened to me considering they don't issue them any longer.

At the Poly yep because I was having a conversation with the Valet while waiting for our car to be brought around. At the Contemp we overheard them talking about having cars towed out of the lot because "they did not belong there".

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

My thing is..if they let you in..without giving you a pass...then how can they say they "do not belong there"?

I mean even if you do not have adr's there you can say you would like to visit the resort and they are not giving out passes.

So, how are they keeping up with how long you are there for and who should be towed or not?

If they do let someone in and they are eating dinner and they do tow them they they will have a problem on their hands because THEY did not give them a pass and they had a valid reason for being there..so, someone could be parked there for ten hours or someone could be parked there for 10 minutes....How would they know?..Like I said..they just waved us through and said parking is to your left and that was it...

So, my unauthorized vehicle will not be towed because I will be authorized by the security guard who lets me through because I have adrs at the resort and I will go to the MK after my meal and come back to my car later..if they give me a parking pass with a time limit then I will follow that time limit..but they never have...

I know..I am a horrible horrible person...:(:lookaroun

Upvote 0

Thunder Kz

My thing is..if they let you in..without giving you a pass...then how can they say they "do not belong there"?

I completely agree with Maggie. Since you're going to eat there, you are allowed to park.

With regard to this towing talk, I can see a resort towing unauthorized cars out of valet. However, when they routinely let people park for shopping/dining without having or issuing a parking pass, I don't think they're going to tow someone out of general parking.

Two caveats. First, if you come during a peak season time, or for increased security reasons (celeb on premises), they might not let a person park there without a resort parking pass or dining reservation. Second, if the car has been there for an extended period of time without a pass, I could see it being towed.

Have a great time at Ohana!

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I mean even if you do not have adr's there you can say you would like to visit the resort and they are not giving out passes.

So, how are they keeping up with how long you are there for and who should be towed or not?

If they do let someone in and they are eating dinner and they do tow them they they will have a problem on their hands because THEY did not give them a pass and they had a valid reason for being there..so, someone could be parked there for ten hours or someone could be parked there for 10 minutes....How would they know?..Like I said..they just waved us through and said parking is to your left and that was it...

So, my unauthorized vehicle will not be towed because I will be authorized by the security guard who lets me through because I have adrs at the resort and I will go to the MK after my meal and come back to my car later..if they give me a parking pass with a time limit then I will follow that time limit..but they never have...

I know..I am a horrible horrible person...:(:lookaroun

Perhaps they use that old tried and true method...

PenAndPaper.jpg

Upvote 0

redfive13

The answer is yes you can. My wife and I park at the Poly whenever we go to 'Ohana and then we go to the MK from there without any problems.

We have also visited the GF to use the SeaRaycers and then we've taken the Monorail elsewhere, again without any problems.

Just do it. Have a great time!

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

I completely agree with Maggie. Since you're going to eat there, you are allowed to park.

With regard to this towing talk, I can see a resort towing unauthorized cars out of valet. However, when they routinely let people park for shopping/dining without having or issuing a parking pass, I don't think they're going to tow someone out of general parking.

Two caveats. First, if you come during a peak season time, or for increased security reasons (celeb on premises), they might not let a person park there without a resort parking pass or dining reservation. Second, if the car has been there for an extended period of time without a pass, I could see it being towed.

Have a great time at Ohana!
That is true about the holiday thing..because I know for New Years Eve they were checking and if you did not have an adr you could not park at all..but we did..so that was okay.

The answer is yes you can. My wife and I park at the Poly whenever we go to 'Ohana and then we go to the MK from there without any problems.

We have also visited the GF to use the SeaRaycers and then we've taken the Monorail elsewhere, again without any problems.

Just do it. Have a great time!
You know, reading your post about the Sea Raycers..this past trip we parked at the Contemporary with no adr..told them we were visiting AND heading to the camprgrounds later..they waved us through..we then proceeded to visit, took the watercraft to Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness Campgrounds we were there for several hours, took the watercraft back to the Contemporary, monorail to Poly, ate at Ohana, watched Wishes from the beach and then monorail to our cr and our car was there and we had no problems at all.

Oh, and jj92979..I know I am not a horrible person..was kind of being sarcastic..but thanks for saying that..:D:wave:

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

You know, reading your post about the Sea Raycers..this past trip we parked at the Contemporary with no adr..told them we were visiting AND heading to the camprgrounds later..they waved us through..we then proceeded to visit, took the watercraft to Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness Campgrounds we were there for several hours, took the watercraft back to the Contemporary, monorail to Poly, ate at Ohana, watched Wishes from the beach and then monorail to our cr and our car was there and we had no problems at all.

You did all of that with your car at the Contemporary and the world didn't come to an end?!?! I'm shocked!

Honestly, some people really have their panties in a wade... of all the things in the world to be worried about, where someone else parks their car should not be one of them. :wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

You did all of that with your car at the Contemporary and the world didn't come to an end?!?! I'm shocked!

Honestly, some people really have their panties in a wade... of all the things in the world to be worried about, where someone else parks their car should not be one of them. :wave:

Unless you are paying your hard earned dollars to stay at the hotel and there are no parking spaces for you, a registered guest, because others are parked there instead of the public lots. Those staying onsite are allowed to park at other hotels, but not to avoid the park's lots....there are always 2 ways to look at a situation, just imagine the shoe on the other foot.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

Unless you are paying your hard earned dollars to stay at the hotel and there are no parking spaces for you, a registered guest, because others are parked there instead of the public lots. Those staying onsite are allowed to park at other hotels, but not to avoid the park's lots....there are always 2 ways to look at a situation, just imagine the shoe on the other foot.

All I can say is that I have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, GF and many other on-site hotels over the years and I have never not been able to park my car in the lot.

And just to throw another comment out there. If you have had the experiance with not being able to park at your hotel, I would take it up with Disney. We are not talking about people who covertly sneak their cars into the lot by some illegal means. These are people who drive to the main gate and told by the gaurds they are allowed to park. I think your question should be, "Why does disney allow non-hotel guest to park in the hotel lot?" and not "Why are people who are told they can park in this lot parking here?"

Just my two cents though...:)

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Also..didn't someone say they were staying on property and that they had family members park at their hotel and go the park with them?

Isn't that taking up a registered guests parking spot also?..How is that any different then someone parking at a resort and eating there and going to a park?

Also, I have never seen the parking lot so full that cars would have a problem parking..even when I had gotten to my car late at night after park closing there were many available parking spots.

I don't know..there have been many threads on this and will be many more..some people say it is wrong, some people say it is okay..I think it is fine..I do it as I know many here do..and I have for a long time.

Unless they stop me from doing it then I will continue to do so..if they give me a parking pass with a time limit then I will follow that time limit but they have not.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

All I can say is that I have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, GF and many other on-site hotels over the years and I have never not been able to park my car in the lot.

And just to throw another comment out there. If you have had the experiance with not being able to park at your hotel, I would take it up with Disney. We are not talking about people who covertly sneak their cars into the lot by some illegal means. These are people who drive to the main gate and told by the gaurds they are allowed to park. I think your question should be, "Why does disney allow non-hotel guest to park in the hotel lot?" and not "Why are people who are told they can park in this lot parking here?"

Just my two cents though...:)

I totally agree with you, I was just throwing out an idea as well. I have seen it happen and I have seen people complain at the front desk. We ALWAYS have a car with us as we drive to Florida to visit family & then stop at WDW. We always Valet park because 1. we are on vacation and 2. we don't want to have to hike in from God knows where late at night. As far as I'm concerned Valet parking is better than sliced white bread :lol:

We always stay onsite and almost always use WDW transportation so the car does not move much. We do use it when going to DTD and if we will be out very late because the buses at that time are :zipit::zipit:.
We have always been asked what our intentions were when we visit a hotel and have even been directed to the public lot at the Boardwalk when we told them we were just checking things out.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Um. . .

I didn't mean to start an issue here. I just wanted to check the policy so I did not break any rules. Since we are only having dinner and planning to leave afterwards, we will take the bus or park at the TTC. Thanks for all of the replies though!

To clarify for you (since facts and opinions tend to blur in these types of threads).

Here are the official policies...whether they are enforced or not is irrelevant.
You are allowed to park at the Polynesian for up to 3 hours if you are a not a guest there. This allows people who have dinner reservations or people who just want to visit the resort to be able to do so. They used to give out actual parking passes, but rarely do that anymore. Parking at the Polynesian theme park to go to the MK is not allowed.

Now here is the "unofficial" information: Most of the time they do nothing to enforce their policies. Like I said, they do not even hand out parking passes anymore. Who knows if they will ever start enforcing the rules in the future...I somehow doubt it because it would cost money to have the extra employees that would be needed to patrol the parking lots checking the time on parking passes.

Whether a person chooses to follow or break the parking rules, and their reasons for doing so, is entirely up to them. Like I said before, I really don't care....I'm not here bashing people who park at the poly to go to the MK.

But I do stand by my statement that there are times of year and times of day where it is an inconvienence to Polynesian guests. As a guest there two times now who drives their own car to the parks, and who comes and goes from the parking lot sometimes several times a day at varying hours, I have witnessed this. If you ever have the chance to see the number of cars in the parking lot at 3:00 in the morning and compare that to the number of cars there at 3:00 in the afternoon, you will see a dramatic difference.

Is it enough of an inconvience for me to complain to Disney about it? No. It just can be annoying when you are a guest there trying to find a space fairly close to your room location in the hotel and you have to park way on the opposite side of the lot because the lot has a very high number of cars who are indeed choosing to go against the parking policy. I'm just pointing this out to those who claim that illegal parking at the Poly does not at all affect Poly guests...it very well can depending on the time of year and day.

So to summarize...are you "officialy" aloud to park at the Poly to go the MK? No. Will anything be done if you choose to do so anyway? It is highly unlikely.
Are you officialy aloud to park at the Poly if you have dining adr's or want to visit? Yes...for up to three hours. Will anything be done if you are there more than 3 hours? Again, highly unlikely.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom