Poly or Beach Club???

riogirl

Help, I need some suggestions on the good and bad of both resorts! It is a toss up for me because I never stayed in either. I have stayed at CS,CB and Contempory but never the Poly or BC.
If you can make an arguement for both regarding room, cleanliness, resort features,etc, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!:veryconfu

riogirl

Original Poster
I am traveling with my husband and 6 year old son and would really like to know as much as I can~inside info from people who have stayed there and what they liked and didn't. I read all the sites and descriptions, but I would like a more personal opinion! Thanks!:animwink:

Upvote 0

tampabrad

Some hard facts.

Facts:

Poly on the monorail, close to MK, Monorail to Epcot. Bus to Studios and AK.
BC next to Epcot. Boat or walk to Epcot and Studios, bus to MK and AK

Poly-Ohana and Kona Cafe, easy access to Cont and GF restaurants
BC-Cape May Cafe, Beaches and Cream, easy access to Yacht Club, Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk restaurants.

Poly-Zero entry pool with volcano and waterslide.
BC-Mini water park pool with interactive areas and huge slide. Big reason for people to stay here.

Rooms at Poly are bigger.

Poly is much older but both resorts have had major room rehabs.

Poly is multiple buildings and has more of a "hawaiian village" feel. Rooms still open to a hallway, not outside.
BC is one building more of a large cottage feel.

Both resorts are on a "beach" that you can not swim in.
Both resorts have a marina.

My opinions:

If you are spending more time at MK, stay at Poly.

I love the Epcot Resort area. I enjoy the walk around the lake to the other resorts and love to have multiple places to eat at the various hotels. (Same can be said for the monorail resorts.)

I spend more time at Epcot and Studios so would prefer BC.

I hate the bus system at BC. It shares with All 5 Epcot resorts. Last time I stayed at Poly, some busses shared with GF, and the monorail is a big plus.

As for guest service...I find that some of the older resorts have CMs who have been there for ever and really hold up the Disney standard. That can be hit or miss at BC.

Hope I could help.

Upvote 0

riogirl

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all that great info TampaBrad! A lot of your reasons for both are exactly why I am torn, but you gave me a lot to consider~!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

I will say that either way you really can't go wrong. They are both beautiful properties and I have had wonderful vacations at both of them several times over many years.

Given my screen name this should be no shock but my vote's for the Poly -- I just love the monorail service (I'm a huge MK fan and we spend a lot of time there, plus being able to take the monorail to Epcot, which I also love, is great.) I'm really big on tropical vacations and resorts and so for me, there is just something about the overall vibe of the Polynesian that brings me back over and over.

However, being able to walk to Epcot from BC is a pretty huge plus...hmmm...see what I mean? You can't choose incorrectly! :lol:

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

Having stayed at both, I'd choose the Beach Club, but not by much. It lacks the all-encompassing, romantic atmosphere that the Polynesian has (which is a big draw) but the Beach Club wins for practicality. (Though transportation options are also very good at the Polynesian, we spent a lot of time at EPCOT.)

Upvote 0

Samadamz

Tampabrad's post is great and lists out the major factors to consider. and polynesiangirl is right in saying you can't go wrong.
I think the "dilemma" in any decision like this is just realizing you can't have everything, but whatever you choose will be fantastic.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I've stayed at both and (for me) what it boils down to is transportation with a young child - we spend most of out time at MK (we get the park hopper and hop there every day!) so the monorail is key. I'd say whatever parks you are going to frequent should be the tie breaker. Both are awesome resorts - and you really can't go wrong!! Have fun planning!

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

Given my screen name this should be no shock but my vote's for the Poly -- I just love the monorail service (I'm a huge MK fan and we spend a lot of time there, plus being able to take the monorail to Epcot, which I also love, is great.) I'm really big on tropical vacations and resorts and so for me, there is just something about the overall vibe of the Polynesian that brings me back over and over. :

Do you have to change the monorail at the TTC if you come from the Poly and want to EPCOT? Or is it non-stop? And if you have to change, are both tracks on the same platform or do you have to change the platform at the TTC?

Upvote 0

AnnieLondon

Having also stayed at both resorts I agree that you won't be dissapointed with either! When we stayed at The Poly our daughter was 6 and loved the Magic Kingdom but now she is 10 she LOVES the huge pool with all its attractions at The Beach Club. Our daughter loves the afternoon beach parties! We are also more spending more and more time at Epcot so The Beach Club is more suited to us.

Also the rooms are quite dark at The Poly.

We are staying at Beach Club again next year, but would have been soooo happy to stay at The Poly again!!

Whichever you choose - Have a fab time!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

Do you have to change the monorail at the TTC if you come from the Poly and want to EPCOT? Or is it non-stop? And if you have to change, are both tracks on the same platform or do you have to change the platform at the TTC?

You can walk form the Poly to the TTC (its about a five minute walk) otherwise you can ride the monorail to the TTC and the transfer to the Epcot line.

The tracks are not on the same platform so you do have to walk down the MK resort platform and then up the Epcot platform (pain in the butt).

To the OP: With a 6 year old, I would let the location of the Poly be the deciding factor in this one. The fact that you can take the boat or hop on the momorail and be right at the entrence to the MK is huge. Its great if you want to go back to the resort for an afternoon nap or swim. Also, the Kona coffee is the best coffee on property. Great way to start your day.

Upvote 0

WDW-Fan4Life

We have friends that will never stay anywhere but Poly. However we love BC as the time spent by the amazing pool, YC and BW area is awesome. We have a 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 yr old. We all LOVED the walk to EPCOT and very very short Boat ride to HS. The Bus ride was not bad to MK as it was an adventure to my kids since we were not riding them all week. As much as the monorail is a draw for some IMO it is overrated.

Upvote 0

magiconmainstrt

I had the same question a month or so ago...we had always stayed at Poly but was not available in Dec :(, so after much positive feedback on BC -booked this.

But now......magical wishes do come true-----:DPoly recently became available with FREE Dining package so we changed Res to Poly for 5 days(which works out great for our Dinner Res for Ohana, Crystal Palace and Mickeys XMas) and then a Room Only Res for Beach Club for one day(Our last--we can spend at Epcot and then walk the Boardwalk at night, swim in the pool that sounds like a cant miss and even possibly take a boat ride at night for the Osborne Light Show--

Hope this helps:animwink:

Upvote 0

riogirl

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone's suggestions and opinions! I am starting to lean toward the Poly, but keep the thoughts about both coming. How is the pool at the Poly? I know it doesn't even compare to Stormalong...and I just hope the rooms and grounds are not too 70s..even though the rooms were rehabbed and pix look nice. :wave:

Upvote 0

IslandAdventure

We had the same decision to make. We chose the Poly.. we have a 2, and 4 year old. The Monorail was the big seller for us. Plus There is more to see and do for the kids at the Poly.... But I have to say I really like the sand bottom pool at the BC....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom