Poly Beach for Fireworks?

Ohboy!

Original Poster
I've heard good things about watching the fireworks over MK from the beach at the Poly resort. I'd like to pair this with a family dinner at 'Ohana (never eaten there before). Can anyone suggest an ideal time to try to book reservations if I'd like to take in the fireworks after dinner?

tigsmom

I've heard good things about watching the fireworks over MK from the beach at the Poly resort. I'd like to pair this with a family dinner at 'Ohana (never eaten there before). Can anyone suggest an ideal time to try to book reservations if I'd like to take in the fireworks after dinner?

I would shoot for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours before the fireworks. You can have a leisurely dinner and then check out the place as you work your way down to the beach; they pipe the music in so you can really enjoy the show

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I'd say at least 2 hours to make sure you can eat at a reasonable pace and then walk down to the beach without a chance of having to rush.

Having watched the MK fireworks from just about everywhere, I can say that the view at the Poly beach is a good one. As straight-on as it gets outside of Main Street, but it is a ways, so the fireworks a bit on the small side when viewed from there. They do pipe in the music, though.

I'd recommend that you also try to catch the Electrical Water Pageant as well, as long as you'll be there. Depending on what time Wishes is running, the EWP will run at Poly a bit before or a bit after the fireworks. Schedule for the EWP should be easy to find.

NYwdwfan

I waited over an hour for O'Hana - we had a 6:30 ADR and didn't get seated until 7:45. And then dinner took about an hour and a half because we're total carnivores and went through several rounds of meat. Not sure if this is normal or typical - but I would leave more like 2 and a half to 3 hours to be sure you catch them. You can always walk around the resort or kill time in the arcade if you get out early.

menamechris

Like everyone has said, I would do about 2 hours before the scheduled fireworks. But I wanted to remind you, if 'Ohana is running late with reservations, don't rush through your meal. They dim the lights and pipe the music into 'Ohana, so you will still get a spectacular view of the fireworks. :)

Disneykidder

We saw fireworks from GF a couple of years ago after eating there. It was really cool. The music, lights dim and a great viewing of the FW with no real crowds around...pretty neat.

Prince-1

I would definitely book your dinner 2 hours before the show. My family loves watching the fireworks from the Poly and we do it every trip. You also get to see the electric boat parade from the beach. lLso this is an amazing place to see the 4th of July show. It's amazing!! :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The beach at the Poly is a great place to watch the fireworks from. I have gotten to where I actually prefer watching the fireworks from the Poly more than inside MK. There are no crowds to deal with, no jocking for position only to have a former NBA player step in front of you 5 minutes before the show and for special event fireworks with perimeter shots a much better view (IMHO of course).

wolf359

I had never watched the fireworks from the Polynesian beach until my last trip, and it quickly became a standout memory. We enjoyed a great dinner at Kona Cafe, and then wandered out to find a spot in the sand to sit and watch. Like Master Yoda said the crowds are much thinner and you can better see all of the effects going on with a little bit of distance away from the park.

I think dinner at the Poly and evening fireworks are going to become our new arrival night tradition.

copper30

Glad I found this thread! I will be at the Poly for the first time and can't wait to watch the fireworks from the beach!! Thanks for the info!

menamechris

Just an FYI for anyone planning on going to the Poly to watch fireworks...

I was there last weekend, and there seemed to be only one speaker working. And it was not loud... My little nephew had never seen the fireworks and we couldn't hear it at all because everyone else was huddled around this one working speaker. Sooo...if you are eating at Ohana, I would actually try to make my reservation so that I would see the fireworks from the restaurant. I would like to think the people at the Poly are on top of fixing or replacing the speakers, but you never know....

WDW FTW

Watching the fireworks from either Ohanas or the Beach works well, usually the beach is empty at night, or you can find your own spot. If you see it inside the restaurant its dinner and a show haha. Only downside from inside Ohanas is the lack of sound, but the view of the castle changing colors is tremendous.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

I would give yourself about an hour and half or so. We did this - I think we had dinner at 7 and fireworks were a 9. We had a bit too much time to kill but just explored the resort and hit the gift shop.

menamechris

Watching the fireworks from either Ohanas or the Beach works well, usually the beach is empty at night, or you can find your own spot. If you see it inside the restaurant its dinner and a show haha. Only downside from inside Ohanas is the lack of sound, but the view of the castle changing colors is tremendous.

I have good news for you! They pipe the fireworks music into Ohanas and turn the lights down! :)

WDW FTW

I have good news for you! They pipe the fireworks music into Ohanas and turn the lights down! :)

:eek: Haha wow thats interesting, last time I ate at Ohana's was for Christmas dinner just over a year ago. Couldnt hear the fire works but we did see the Castle Lighting from the view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom