Poll: Disneyland has outgrown Sleeping Beauty Castle

Disneyland has outgrown Sleeping Beauty Castle

• Yes

Votes: 48 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 112 70.0%

• Total voters

mickEblu

My thumbs down looks really weird. Why are my knuckles out like that? Bizarre.

I wasn’t really happy with my Haunted Mansion planter thumbs down either. I feel that my forearm looks oddly thin. People were looking at me take a picture of a brick wall so I didn’t necessarily want to do a reshoot.

The Empress Lilly

All that Disneyland's castle really needs is an all-plastic house by Monsanto sitting directly across the moat from it. Because... Walt.

6716511893_54fb3f68d4_b.jpg
I think that looks splendid. Not misplaced or clashing with the hub either.

I regret I was born too late to see that house. It's so perfectly Disneyland.

TP2000

I regret I was born too late to see that house. It's so perfectly Disneyland.

I couldn’t agree more. My only regret is that I have no memories of it from my youth.

But it’s such a perfect example of how Walt and his designers never took things too seriously when it came to Disneyland. A giant plastic house of tomorrow next to a Bavarian Castle in the shadow of a Swiss mountain and across from an Oregon Trail log fort and a singing Tiki bird show with African elephant tusks on the marquee?!? Sure, why not? After all, Monsanto and United Airlines and Pendleton Woolen Mills are all paying sponsors of those shows, and Walt says it’s fine!

Nowadays, us fans fret over every new paint job and slight alteration to the planters and benches and wallpaper. Walt would have changed the park four times over by now if he’d lived to 120.:D

TROR

I couldn’t agree more. My only regret is that I have no memories of it from my youth.

But it’s such a perfect example of how Walt and his designers never took things too seriously when it came to Disneyland. A giant plastic house of tomorrow next to a Bavarian Castle in the shadow of a Swiss mountain and across from an Oregon Trail log fort and a singing Tiki bird show with African elephant tusks on the marquee?!? Sure, why not? After all, Monsanto and United Airlines and Pendleton Woolen Mills are all paying sponsors of those shows, and Walt says it’s fine!

Nowadays, us fans fret over every new paint job and slight alteration to the planters and benches and wallpaper. Walt would have changed the park four times over by now if he’d lived to 120.:D
Should be noted that theme parks were a brand new thing and they were just making up the rules as they went along. It's gone from the Matterhorn in Tomorrowland to having a fully immersive land that interacts with you directly. It's a very different world now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

THANK YOU! I knew I liked you for a reason (even if we don't agree all the time).... :cool:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Should be noted that theme parks were a brand new thing and they were just making up the rules as they went along. It's gone from the Matterhorn in Tomorrowland to having a fully immersive land that interacts with you directly. It's a very different world now.

It may be a different world now for theme parks, but the point is that we fans get hung up on some very trivial things.

lazyboy97o

The Central Plaza is a space of convergence. In its original design it was the only means of entering the different lands, completely undermining the notion that there was no desire to distinguish lands. The Magic Kingdom increased the size of the Central Plaza and further separated the convergence of lands.

But of course, it is easier to laugh at the ridiculousness of an Alpine castle next to an Alp.

TP2000

But of course, it is easier to laugh at the ridiculousness of an Alpine castle next to an Alp.

To be fair, we were originally laughing at the ridiculousness, and fabulousness, of an Alpine castle next to a Monsanto House of the Future.

But if you walked 20 yards to the west, you also got a pretty good view of a Monsanto House of the Future next to an Alp. Thanks Walt!

latest

One could also nitpick apart the ridiculousness and thematic disaster that is a circa 1905 horsedrawn streetcar from the American Midwest pulling up in front of a centuries old Bavarian castle, with olive trees from a Mediterranean climate across the street, and a big Eastman Kodak sign instructing you to aim your mid 20th century point-and-shoot color cameras at said Bavarian castle. Disneyland is a thematic disaster! Thanks Walt! :eek:

8-1967-_12.jpg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

To be fair, we were originally laughing at the ridiculousness, and fabulousness, of an Alpine castle next to a Monsanto House of the Future.

But if you walked 20 yards to the west, you also got a pretty good view of a Monsanto House of the Future next to an Alp. Thanks Walt!

latest

One could also nitpick apart the ridiculousness and thematic disaster that is a circa 1905 horsedrawn streetcar from the American Midwest pulling up in front of a centuries old Bavarian castle, with olive trees from a Mediterranean climate across the street, and a big Eastman Kodak sign instructing you to aim your mid 20th century point-and-shoot color cameras at said Bavarian castle. Disneyland is a thematic disaster! Thanks Walt!:eek:

8-1967-_12.jpg
All still just ignoring the role of the Central Plaza as the point of convergence, originally the only such point.

TP2000

All still just ignoring the role of the Central Plaza as the point of convergence, originally the only such point.

I don't know much about convergence, I was just thinking of sightlines. But you could still get some really wonky sightlines once you'd walked into lands off the Central Plaza.

Is it the Oregon Trail, or is it Switzerland? It's both! Thanks Walt!

FrontierlandEntrance6-60.jpg

The place was never meant to be Colonial Williamsburg, or some sort of living history museum. It was a wacky fun theme park, or as Walt so eloquently put it on July 17th, 1965 at the 10th Anniversary party in the Disneyland Hotel... "that damn amusement park!". Thanks Walt!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I don't know much about convergence, I was just thinking of sightlines. But you could still get some really wonky sightlines once you'd walked into lands off the Central Plaza.

Is it the Oregon Trail, or is it Switzerland? It's both! Thanks Walt!

FrontierlandEntrance6-60.jpg

The place was never meant to be Colonial Williamsburg, or some sort of living history museum. It was a wacky fun theme park, or as Walt so eloquently put it on July 17th, 1965 at the 10th Anniversary party in the Disneyland Hotel... "that damn amusement park!". Thanks Walt!

The wonky sightlines are part of DL's charm. It's all kind of magical. I especially like the views from the new train route over the ROA. So much depth and feeling. It all goes together. Seeing the towering facade of Mission: Break Pads from Disneyland? Not so much.

mickEblu

The wonky sightlines are part of DL's charm. It's all kind of magical. I especially like the views from the new train route over the ROA. So much depth and feeling. It all goes together. Seeing the towering facade of Mission: Break Pads from Disneyland? Not so much.

It really helps when you have tall things that can be seen all over the park be aesthetically pleasing. A snow capped mountain overlooking a castle and European village. Great. A 20 Story oil refinery just doesn’t work anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom