Pokemon@UOR

Animaniac93-98

There is a strong rumor that Pokemon will be the next project to start at UOR. Most likely in USF and to open a year after Epic Universe opening, so 2024.

This, along with Nintendo, would be Universal's second "bigger than Potter" level IP to bring to the resort.

So when will they finally close Kid Zone?

Also, what's the new thing for 2022 after the new coaster opens in 2021?

JT3000

I'm not sure how well Pokemon suits USF. While there have been movies, the franchise's overall connection to the park's theme seems tenuous at best, unless it's explicitly based on the Detective Pikachu universe. Something obviously needs to be done with Kid Zone, but why not just put it next to Nintendo World? People associate the franchise with Nintendo even though they aren't the sole owner, and based on the concept art, the park appears to have expansion pads built in. I'm still not convinced there will be enough lands on opening day.

What would this mean for E.T.?

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure how well Pokemon suits USF. While there have been movies, the franchise's overall connection to the park's theme seems tenuous at best, unless it's explicitly based on the Detective Pikachu universe. Something obviously needs to be done with Kid Zone, but why not just put it next to Nintendo World? People associate the franchise with Nintendo even though they aren't the sole owner, and based on the concept art, the park appears to have expansion pads built in. I'm still not convinced there will be enough lands on opening day.

What would this mean for E.T.?
Universal wants Nintendo to be in all three parks just as Harry Potter will be in all three parks. Mario and Donkey Kong in Epic Universe, Pokémon is Universal Studios Florida and The Legend of Zelda in Islands of Adventure.

BubbaQuest

Universal wants Nintendo to be in all three parks just as Harry Potter will be in all three parks. Mario and Donkey Kong in Epic Universe, Pokémon is Universal Studios Florida and The Legend of Zelda in Islands of Adventure.

Interesting. I'm wondering if this is why Uni is coy about "Nintendo opening with Epic". Guess I better start bankrolling now if I need to do Mario in 2023, Pokemon in 2025, and Zelda in 2027!

lazyboy97o

Interesting. I'm wondering if this is why Uni is coy about "Nintendo opening with Epic". Guess I better start bankrolling now if I need to do Mario in 2023, Pokemon in 2025, and Zelda in 2027!
I’m not sure Universal is being coy. Engadget not really knowing anything seems more likely.

champdisney

KidZone needs to be whipped out of existence in USF and eventually it will be. What I would expect them to do is axe Barney, Fievel, Curious George and Animal Actors. With that Universal has a good piece of land to work with for a Pokémon ride, shops, a small walk-thru Pokémon hospital (something akin to the Jurassic Park facility that’s in the center of IOA) and a live-action Pokémon tournament show with an entirely repurposed venue. The entrance of E.T. Adventure would have to be rerouted as was discussed on this forum for the last five years.

Imagine how beautiful that Pokémon Colosseum would look from across the park, lit up at night.

lebeau

KidZone needs to be whipped out of existence.

Strongly disagree. KidZone does not need to be whipped (or even wiped) out of existence. It's terrific. I do agree that Pokemon would be a more relevant IP than what is currently there but there is no pressing need to do away with what is actually a great land for kids. It's probably inevitable, but I am not chomping at the bit for the replacement.

champdisney

Strongly disagree. KidZone does not need to be whipped (or even wiped) out of existence. It's terrific. I do agree that Pokemon would be a more relevant IP than what is currently there but there is no pressing need to do away with what is actually a great land for kids. It's probably inevitable, but I am not chomping at the bit for the replacement.
I don’t know what there is to disagree with when Pokémon is generally targeted towards kids. If it’s the playgrounds and sing-along shows, I’m sure Universal would include that in there.

lebeau

I don’t know what there is to disagree with when Pokémon is generally targeted towards kids. If it’s the playgrounds and sing-along shows, I’m sure Universal would include that in there.

I disagree with the idea that KidZone has got to go. That's got nothing to do with Pokemon. Ever since KZ was rumored to be a goner people have been acting as if KZ brings down the property values. It's actually pretty great even if the majority of kids playing there aren't familiar with American Tail or Woody Woodpecker. It definitely does not need to be "wiped from existence".

It's not that I am opposed to an update. I just don't see it as an imperative to get rid of a land that is serving a purpose. Ideally, they would put Pokemon somewhere else and we could keep them both.

champdisney

I disagree with the idea that KidZone has got to go. That's got nothing to do with Pokemon. Ever since KZ was rumored to be a goner people have been acting as if KZ brings down the property values. It's actually pretty great even if the majority of kids playing there aren't familiar with American Tail or Woody Woodpecker. It definitely does not need to be "wiped from existence".
You don’t dig the phrase, I get it. I’m a bit of an amateur writer and I was taught by one of my wise professors that starting a story or a statement with something that pops will reel in the reader... so I “whipped” that one out. ;)

All jokes aside my friend, I understand where you’re coming from. Bottomline, KidZone needs some lovin’, even if it means bulldozing the damn thing for something entirely new. I’ll definitely call it tough love on my part, I just think that area has outgrown whatever nostalgia it had left.

lebeau

Pretty sure nobody would miss The Slow and the Mildly Annoyed if it was replaced with Pokemon.

I know they aren't going to touch that one for a while because they poured a lot of money into it. But if there is a part of the park screaming for a redo, this is it. Followed by Shrek and then probably the non-ET section of KidZone.

You don’t dig the phrase, I get it. I’m a bit of an amateur writer and I was taught by one of my wise professors that starting a story or a statement with something that pops will reel in the reader... so I “whipped” that one out. ;)

All jokes aside my friend, I understand where you’re coming from. Bottomline, KidZone needs some lovin’, even if it means bulldozing the damn thing for something entirely new. I’ll definitely call it tough love on my part, I just think that area has outgrown whatever nostalgia it had left.

👍

AndrewJordan

Different opinions but the area is horrific. Do agree though, they CANNOT touch ET.

JT3000

Everything fits in the "studios" theme. It's its greatest strength and weakness.

Not everything. It has to be based on something that is produced and requires a studio of some sort to make. Rockit is currently the only attraction that tries to stretch this category to its absolute limit, as everything else fits safely into film & television production.

Pokemon isn't the best fit for USF's theme, especially if it slants heavily toward the games in any way, but they do have a Get Out of Jail Free card by way of the animated films and Detective Pikachu. The latter has a distinctive art direction that's basically incompatible with the rest of the franchise though. Assuming there's any merit to this rumor, it will be interesting to see which direction they go, and if they try to balance between the different aspects of the franchise or go with something more specific.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom