Points Reallocation for 2020

correcaminos

There are a few of our stays that will be more, but like our 2 bedroom OKW stays in Dream Season - fantastic! Even I think most of our 2 bedroom dream stays are lower too. I haven't had a chance to look at many other locations to compare.

Our 2 studios at PVB are up, but I was kind of planning for it. Didn't expect all the resorts to go up though.

I will say OKW as a whole didn't change similarly to others. GVs there are actually up.

lostpro9het

Check your new 2020 points charts. Most staying in studios or 1BRs will be displeased.
What didn't surprise me was the allocations at PVB, the shift down at the bungalows and shift up at the studios made "supply and demand" sense to me.
What did surprise me was them not adjusting AKL value studio room points. Those are insanely popular and, in fact, the 1 and 2 bedroom rooms went down and this blew up my "supply and demand" theory.

monothingie

I ❤️ Bob
Premium Member
Funny how this happened just as resale points are maxing out in price...And the large increases in dues...

Last edited:
Raising the studios made sense, but that they raised the studios AND 1 bedrooms and subsidized it by lowering 2 BRs/Grand Villas doesn't make sense to me. I'm not pleased that I now have to buy one-time use points to stay a week in a 1 bedroom Savanna view at AKV.

Maybe we'll just cut our stays at Disney back to 6 days and enjoy more of what Universal has to offer, including their hotels. Actually, the more I think about it, the better that idea seems.

Last edited:

monothingie

I ❤️ Bob
Premium Member
So I was incredibly bored and made up a spread sheet for two of the DVC resorts that caught my eye. The VGF seems like the outlier in how points were increased or decreased. While the Grand Villas at the VGF increased substantially compared to Grand Villas at other DVC resorts, it saw the smallest percentage increase for studios and 1-BR villas (The Lake View 1-BR (all seasons), as well as the Lake View Studio(2 seasons)). It also showed what seemed like the largest point reduction for the 2-BR villa (specifically again the Lake View 2-BR).

I threw BLT in there because it seemed to make a relatively good example of the average point change across all the categories and resorts.

The other unique thing was the changes at Saratoga Springs. For the DVC Resort of Last Resorts (when everything else is booked) the increases were somewhat surprising.

The increases/decreases amounted to an average:

7-10% increases for Studios Standard and Deluxe Views for all seasons
5-7% increase for 1-BR Standard Views for all seasons
1-5% increase for 1-BR Deluxe Views (Depending on the season several resorts 1-BR Deluxe views showed no increase)
Anywhere from 1-3% Decrease to a 1-5% increase for 2-BR Standard Views. (Premier, Adventure, and Choice Season seeing the biggest increase)
Anywhere from 1-3% Decrease to a 1-5% increase for 2-BR Deluxe Views. (Premier, Adventure, and Choice Season seeing the biggest increase)
Grand Villas were all over the place. From minor decreases to as high as 8% increases.

Overall your off peak seasons (Adventure and Choice) received the biggest impact. While it may have something to do with SWGE and other attractions coming in 2020 and 2021, it seems like this change is probably more in response to intentional strategy of spreading the crowds out and eliminate slow seasons. The increases don't seem to be large enough to influence people to travel at different times, but it may be enough for some to cut back on the number of days spent at a DVC resort (6 nights vs. 7 nights)

DVC Points 2020.jpg

correcaminos

What didn't surprise me was the allocations at PVB, the shift down at the bungalows and shift up at the studios made "supply and demand" sense to me.
What did surprise me was them not adjusting AKL value studio room points. Those are insanely popular and, in fact, the 1 and 2 bedroom rooms went down and this blew up my "supply and demand" theory.

You guys realize that this wasn't just PVB - this was pretty much all WDW DVC locations. This affected GVs as well. So they felt something was off. Except OKW GVs, those went up. So This is beyond just a PVB bungalow thing.

I'm not shocked about AKV though, they just adjusted those recently with the values and concierge.

So I was incredibly bored and made up a spread sheet for two of the DVC resorts that caught my eye. The VGF seems like the outlier in how points were increased or decreased. While the Grand Villas at the VGF increased substantially compared to Grand Villas at other DVC resorts, it saw the smallest percentage increase for studios and 1-BR villas (The Lake View 1-BR (all seasons), as well as the Lake View Studio(2 seasons)). It also showed what seemed like the largest point reduction for the 2-BR villa (specifically again the Lake View 2-BR).

I threw BLT in there because it seemed to make a relatively good example of the average point change across all the categories and resorts.

The other unique thing was the changes at Saratoga Springs. For the DVC Resort of Last Resorts (when everything else is booked) the increases were somewhat surprising.

The increases/decreases amounted to an average:

7-10% increases for Studios Standard and Deluxe Views for all seasons
5-7% increase for 1-BR Standard Views for all seasons
1-5% increase for 1-BR Deluxe Views (Depending on the season several resorts 1-BR Deluxe views showed no increase)
Anywhere from 1-3% Decrease to a 1-5% increase for 2-BR Standard Views. (Premier, Adventure, and Choice Season seeing the biggest increase)
Anywhere from 1-3% Decrease to a 1-5% increase for 2-BR Deluxe Views. (Premier, Adventure, and Choice Season seeing the biggest increase)
Grand Villas were all over the place. From minor decreases to as high as 8% increases.

Overall your off peak seasons (Adventure and Choice) received the biggest impact. While it may have something to do with SWGE and other attractions coming in 2020 and 2021, it seems like this change is probably more in response to intentional strategy of spreading the crowds out and eliminate slow seasons. The increases don't seem to be large enough to influence people to travel at different times, but it may be enough for some to cut back on the number of days spent at a DVC resort (6 nights vs. 7 nights)

View attachment 334932

Very thoughtful. You should also take a look at BWV the numbers there are interesting as is OKW. They didn't follow the norm. Seems they were lowering Dream season as a whole (we often travel then). Our 2 bedroom 7 night OKW stays during dream season IIRC are now 17 points lower. Our 2 studio at PVB are up 14 (1 point each night). Bungalow and cabin stays are down.

correcaminos

Raising the studios made sense, but that they raised the studios AND 1 bedrooms and subsidized it by lowering 2 BRs/Grand Villas doesn't make sense to me. I'm not pleased that I now have to buy one-time use points to stay a week in a 1 bedroom Savanna view at AKV.

Maybe we'll just cut our stays at Disney back to 6 days and enjoy more of what Universal has to offer, including their hotels. Actually, the more I think about it, the better that idea seems.

I think people as a whole were hoping to lower 1 bedrooms. That didn't happen. This doesn't affect us much. We're long time owners with enough points for a couple trips on average a year in 1 and 2 bedrooms. It's kind of a wash for us in the end.

Minthorne

so a studio could be anywhere from 7 to 14 more points a week now. Maybe they think it will drive folks who book studios to add on?

correcaminos

so a studio could be anywhere from 7 to 14 more points a week now. Maybe they think it will drive folks who book studios to add on?
Maybe... but some resorts did have that much of a change. OKW did have some studios and 1 bedrooms that didn't necessarily change. Though the bigger change at OKW was all GVs went up.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I can see why they are changing it, I don't agree with it, though. For year we have booked to Studios for 8 guest total while using less point that a two bedroom. It was a pretty good gravy train of maximizing points.

Eh... rarely. Minor changes resort specific mostly. Biggest change was about 8 years ago when they altered weekend points.

What do you mean about 1 2 punch though?

And shifted the Treehouse Villas to be more in line with grand villa at SSR. The creation of new categories from SSR also was a pretty unique even, too.

correcaminos

I can see why they are changing it, I don't agree with it, though. For year we have booked to Studios for 8 guest total while using less point that a two bedroom. It was a pretty good gravy train of maximizing points.

And shifted the Treehouse Villas to be more in line with grand villa at SSR. The creation of new categories from SSR also was a pretty unique even, too.
I still don't get it but I've been watching points for a long time. This studio and 1 bedroom dot have me confused.

SSR was a resort only change but made sense to me after how large the resort is. Forgot to look at THVs and their points. Better go look

Phonedave

how often does this happen? As a new owner, this is the second half of the 1 2 punch....

Points get changed every year. Just to be clear, point costs do not go up every year, they get "massaged" every year. The do not (can not by law) change the total number of points at a resort. If you add up the point cost for booking every single room in a resort for ever single night of the year, that total cannot change.

What they can do is move points around. They can make a studio more points per night, but they have to take those points away from a different room. Or they can make a certain season shorter or longer, or they can create a new class of rooms such as preferred location or certain views.

They do all of this to try and drive guest behavior to a even spread of bookings over rooms and seasons. If they are getting a lot of wait lists for standard rooms while garden view rooms go empty, they may raise the points on the standard and lower them on the garden.

There is always some changing of point charts every year, even if it is just the dates of the seasons. This year was more drastic than most.

I assume the second punch you refer to is the dues increase. That pretty much happens every year too. Dues do represent the actual cost of running the resort you own at. It is not a money maker for DVC. unfortunately the cost of running things go up, so dues go up.

correcaminos

Points get changed every year. Just to be clear, point costs do not go up every year, they get "massaged" every year. The do not (can not by law) change the total number of points at a resort. If you add up the point cost for booking every single room in a resort for ever single night of the year, that total cannot change.

What they can do is move points around. They can make a studio more points per night, but they have to take those points away from a different room. Or they can make a certain season shorter or longer, or they can create a new class of rooms such as preferred location or certain views.

They do all of this to try and drive guest behavior to a even spread of bookings over rooms and seasons. If they are getting a lot of wait lists for standard rooms while garden view rooms go empty, they may raise the points on the standard and lower them on the garden.

There is always some changing of point charts every year, even if it is just the dates of the seasons. This year was more drastic than most.

I assume the second punch you refer to is the dues increase. That pretty much happens every year too. Dues do represent the actual cost of running the resort you own at. It is not a money maker for DVC. unfortunately the cost of running things go up, so dues go up.
To be fair dates move due to the calendar, but for the most part points do not change regularly. So my June 1-8 trip has remained stagnant for many years in terms of points. This is the biggest change I've seen since 2011. Keeping in mind that there will be small shifts, but as a whole not usually this much.

The dates of seasons usually only shift due to holidays. Not much beyond. Aulani saw a shift in dates recently but that isn't the norm for WDW

yaksplat

Eh... rarely. Minor changes resort specific mostly. Biggest change was about 8 years ago when they altered weekend points.

What do you mean about 1 2 punch though?

The 9.x% dues increase and the week costing a couple more points. Fortunately I have some spare points that will cover the difference. My contract was enough for 9 days when we like to go with 5 left over. I'd have been really annoyed if i lost a day due to being short a point, but i guess that's why you can buy some points every year. To cover a minor spread if it exists.

correcaminos

The 9.x% dues increase and the week costing a couple more points. Fortunately I have some spare points that will cover the difference. My contract was enough for 9 days when we like to go with 5 left over. I'd have been really annoyed if i lost a day due to being short a point, but i guess that's why you can buy some points every year. To cover a minor spread if it exists.

I gotcha. For us the point change is mostly an advantage as we are 2 bedroom types. We only will consider a 1 bedroom if for a few nights, but even then our short trips we can do OKW which didn't change. Our 2 studios at PVB did increase but it isn't actually as much as the 2 bedroom decrease in a few cases.

I get for those who bought for studios only this isn't great. I've been an owner a long time so I tend not to get worked up over the changes I think so I'm usually more calm. Though I wasn't as happy with the security changes and how that affected our stays and to a small part our our dues.

YorkshireT

I'm very, very angry about the 1 bed situation.

According to another forum, the points on all lockoffs count towards the resort points so say a two bed lockoff is 35 a night, that is what can't be changed.
But apparently there is a 'premium' that can be applied where that 1 bed and studio are rented separately which does not form part of the 2 bed lockoff points that go to overall points in the resort.
If this is correct, then that would be very concerning.

correcaminos

I'm very, very angry about the 1 bed situation.

According to another forum, the points on all lockoffs count towards the resort points so say a two bed lockoff is 35 a night, that is what can't be changed.
But apparently there is a 'premium' that can be applied where that 1 bed and studio are rented separately which does not form part of the 2 bed lockoff points that go to overall points in the resort.
If this is correct, then that would be very concerning.
I am a little confused about what is concerning. As far as I remember, the two bedroom booking is always this way. Block off or dedicated, the plants have always been the same amount. The amount for a 2-bedroom has not always equaled a studio and a lock off. Example of a week we go to Old Key West in June, the current points would have 99 for a studio, 199 for a one bedroom, and 269 for a two-bedroom. In 2020, it will be 106, 199, and 252 respectively. So a bigger change but it wasn't ever equal before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom