PO French Quarter or Animal Kdm Lodge??

dreamfinder

Respectfully disagree. POFQ is very close to the Studios, Epcot and MK and most times of the day has its own bus (with the exception of mid-afternoon when it shares with POR). AKL shares with Kidani Village and stops at Blizzard Beach on every run (at least it did when we stayed at AKL.) An extra 5 or 10 minutes per each bus ride does add up, especially when you are tired.

There is only 1 bus route that stops at Blizzard Beach. Just like there is 1 route that stops at Typhoon Lagoon. Blizzard Beach is typically on the Animal Kingdom bus route, and Typhoon Lagoon is typically on the Downtown Disney bus route. Except I believe that at AKL you take the DHS bus to get to BB.

Last time when we stayed at POFQ, I'd wager that about 1/3 of the buses we were on would go through POR. The amount of time required to make that loop is much larger than the amount of time it takes to do a drop off at Kidani.

lovedis

Original Poster
I have stayed at all three multiple times and if this is your last trip for a while, Stay at Wilderness Lodge. Far better than PORS or POFQ. It is similar to AKL without the animals. Truthfully you don't see too many animals without the right room and you'll most likely be going to the Animal Kingdom park and see plenty of animals there. Actual at WL there are tons of little rabbits and ducks running wild that come right up to you. WL is closer to everything, Magic is over the top and the pool and all it's effects are nothing less than stunning. I love that there are more than one way to get to the parks. Bus, boat, and monorail to Epcot (via bus to Contempory, Yes it's quicker than the bus). Great resturants, like AKL, just lots more convenient. Trust me, it is worth it. WILDERNESS, WILDERNESS, WILDERNESS, You'll thank me!

I would love to stay at Wilderness Lodge, but the discounts lately haven't been as good as AKL. Trust me, If WL offered 30% off room rate like AKL has been doing, than we would switch in a heartbeat.

Uddy

I would love to stay at Wilderness Lodge, but the discounts lately haven't been as good as AKL. Trust me, If WL offered 30% off room rate like AKL has been doing, than we would switch in a heartbeat.
It's worth the money. I promise!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
We've stayed at POFQ more than a few times and we've always enjoyed ourselves. We stayed at AKL because we got a a deep discount for that resort that year, It was our first deluxe stay.
I have to say I was not that impressed. Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful resort, great theme, great restaurants and we even had a Savannah view and that was nice. But I would NEVER pay anything near full price to stay there.

If I had enough money to stay at AKL right now, I would take that money and get a couple extra days worth of stay at POFQ.

Southampton11968

AKL has a much better theme. If you do stay at Port Orleans go to the Riverside food court, it is one of the best in all the resorts and much better than the French Quarter. They have a make your own salad/pasta section that is great and a single serving is enough for 2 to eat. ;)

Poofiesdream

French Quarter does not get many discounts on the room because it is a smaller resort and has no problem selling the rooms. It is much more laid back than AKL. I have stayed at both. Just remember if you go to AKL you must book a savanna room if you want to see the animals from your room. Arusha is the best location. There will be a lot of walking to you room, pool, and food court. With kids though you may want to go there.

CheshireCat12

According to my copy of the Unofficial Guide, travel times using Disney buses are as follows (average time in minutes followed by maximum time in parenthesis):

POFQ
MK: 22 (32)
Epcot: 25 (36)
DHS: 24 (34)
DAK: 28 (40)

AKL
MK: 35 (50)
Epcot: 28 (39)
DHS: 26 (37)
DAK: 11 (18)

I'm not questioning your sources but I don't think it ever takes me quite that long in transit. Unless you are adding in the time spent actually waiting for the bus- then it might be a while. Staying at CS we didn't have too many issues.

WS80

We booked POFQ for summer. But last week summer discounts were released so we switched to AKL for the same price! Hope you'll have that luck aswell

princessmommy

I do believe that all the POFQ rooms are legally only 4 per. POR does have some that can sleep 5 as they have a small trundle bed, but I believe the 5th is really meant to be a child.

That is what I thought. OP said "we are traveling with our 3 kids" so I am thinking AKL might fit them better.

disneygirl1

I would 110% make the switch to AKL if you can with the discount. It is definitely one of our favorite resorts. While I have not stayed at POFQ, I have stayed at both CBR and CSR which are both moderate resorts and I would choose AKL over them in a heart beat! You just can't beat the atmosphere at AKL. Its so serene and peaceful and being able to see the animals roaming the savanna's is so cool! The pool is great too. The resort has so many activities going on through out the day too. My favorite is the night vision goggles!

tnpoohbear

We will be visiting WDW this fall and are currently booked at Port Orleans - French Quarter. I'm keeping an eye on discounts and if a fall discount for 30% off comes out for Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'm wondering if it's worth the switch, if the cost is the same (or just slightly more).

The theming of AKL appeals to me more, yet the location of French Quarter seems better for the parks. I keep reading horrible things about how far AKL is from everything.

If anyone has stayed in both, please let me know your opinion :)

We have stayed three times each in both of these and I loved them both. But I love the size of the FQ - and I especially loved the boat ride to DTD. If money was not an issue I would of course stay at AKL because it is so lovely! But I am happy to be at the French Quarter too and it is so much cheaper! AKL does not seem so far away to me, bus service everywhere and you don't share the bus service!

lovedis

Original Poster
We have stayed three times each in both of these and I loved them both. But I love the size of the FQ - and I especially loved the boat ride to DTD. If money was not an issue I would of course stay at AKL because it is so lovely! But I am happy to be at the French Quarter too and it is so much cheaper! AKL does not seem so far away to me, bus service everywhere and you don't share the bus service!

That's great to know! I do feel good about both resorts - I just didn't know too much about AKL and if we get the discount, I wondered if it was worth the switch. How was the transportation for you at AKL? Also wondering how far is the walk from the entrance of the lobby to the bus stop?

bazza23

Hi everyone!

I am deciding between POFQ, AKL and WL. It will be my first time in WDW!

I am only looking to stay in the basic rooms due to budget (so no savannah view at AKL). There's a $50 variance between POFQ, AKL and WL (POFQ cheapest, WL most expensive) based on the rates and discounts I've been able to get.

I will be driving there, so distance is not so much a concern, I guess the experience is more important. Not sure how much time we will actually be at the hotels, since we are trying to pack all 4 parks into two days!!

Also, it is just me and my girlfriend, and we're both mid 20s.

Can anyone help me weigh up pros/cons? I've read so much but haven't been able to decide! They're all good!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom