PO French Quarter or Animal Kdm Lodge??

lovedis

Original Poster
We will be visiting WDW this fall and are currently booked at Port Orleans - French Quarter. I'm keeping an eye on discounts and if a fall discount for 30% off comes out for Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'm wondering if it's worth the switch, if the cost is the same (or just slightly more).

The theming of AKL appeals to me more, yet the location of French Quarter seems better for the parks. I keep reading horrible things about how far AKL is from everything.

If anyone has stayed in both, please let me know your opinion :)

ParentsOf4

We have stayed at both several times. Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) is a lovely resort and WDW's smallest Moderate Resort. On the plus side, this means it's a short walk to the buses compared to the other Moderates. It's also a boat ride away from Downtown Disney (DTD). POFQ is a nice Moderate Resort for couples. On the minus side, it's smallness means it does not have a table service (TS) restaurant and its food court has limited selections. In addition, its pool and water slide are rather small. Still, POFQ has lots of fans and you won't go wrong staying there.

Animal Kingdom Lodge (AKL) is Disney at its best; a fully realized resort with an exotic theme. One of the misconceptions is that AKV is "far away". Frankly, the WDW property is not that big and staying at AKV might add 5-to-10 minutes to each bus trip to MK. If you can find a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (every WDW fan should own a copy), it includes travel times. You'll find trips from AKV are not much farther than other WDW resorts.

If all things were equal, AKL wins in a landslide. But all things are not equal. AKL typically costs significantly more than POFQ. Only you can judge whether it's worth the extra cost to you.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
We will be visiting WDW this fall and are currently booked at Port Orleans - French Quarter. I'm keeping an eye on discounts and if a fall discount for 30% off comes out for Animal Kingdom Lodge, I'm wondering if it's worth the switch, if the cost is the same (or just slightly more).

The theming of AKL appeals to me more, yet the location of French Quarter seems better for the parks. I keep reading horrible things about how far AKL is from everything.

If anyone has stayed in both, please let me know your opinion :)

I have never stayed at AKL but as you said, the theme is great! I have stayed at PORS in September and it was really great!!! Personally, I think choose which resort you want to based on theme since you have to rely on buses for either option. We had really bad bus experiences at PORS. When you have to rely on the buses, you just run the risk of those long waits and rides.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The only drawbacks to AKL, I think, are price and location.

I know it's not that far away from Magic Kingdom, and other Parks, especially not if you have a car.

However, if you take the bus, it's a different story during the day, as the bus to AKL also stops by Blizzard Beach...and that does add transit time.

Not enough to not stay there, but unless you get a savannah view room, I think for the money Wilderness Lodge would be a better choice.

disneyfan1995

I just recently stayed at AKL for a night and I absolutely loved the themeing. It was a job well done by the Imagineers. The drawback of AKL is that the only park it is close to is AK. It's far from MK and Epcot/DHS which is a bummer especially when you just want to get back to the hotel and you're stuck waiting for the bus. I've never stayed at POFQ so I wouldn't know anything about that one! From what I've seen, it looks like an excellent hotel!

Tuvalu

We have stayed at both several times. Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) is a lovely resort and WDW's smallest Moderate Resort. On the plus side, this means it's a short walk to the buses compared to the other Moderates. It's also a boat ride away from Downtown Disney (DTD). POFQ is a nice Moderate Resort for couples. On the minus side, it's smallness means it does not have a table service (TS) restaurant and its food court has limited selections. In addition, its pool and water slide are rather small. Still, POFQ has lots of fans and you won't go wrong staying there.

Animal Kingdom Lodge (AKL) is Disney at its best; a fully realized resort with an exotic theme. One of the misconceptions is that AKV is "far away". Frankly, the WDW property is not that big and staying at AKV might add 5-to-10 minutes to each bus trip to MK. If you can find a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (every WDW fan should own a copy), it includes travel times. You'll find trips from AKV are not much farther than other WDW resorts.

If all things were equal, AKL wins in a landslide. But all things are not equal. AKL typically costs significantly more than POFQ. Only you can judge whether it's worth the extra cost to you.

Completely agree. And if you have your own car, you can shorten your transportation time from AKL to the parks/DTD rather than having to wait for the buses. We did not have a car the last time we stayed at AKL and we were soooo tired of the long bus rides by the end of our vacation (time from DTD to AKL was nearly an hour and a half, with the wait time and other stops factored in.)

This summer we will have a car :)

RonAnnArbor

Have stayed at both and I will honestly tell you that there is a HUGE difference between the two resorts depending on what you want. POFQ is by far the best moderate resort for people without kids, folks who don't spend much time at the resort, and those who want the most convenient place to stay with basic amenities -- food court, pool, and boat to Downtown Disney.
But if you plan on spending time at your resort, AKL is far the superior of the two, or if you have kids. Its a Deluxe, not a moderate, and comes with all things Deluxe - including restaurants (really fine ones at that), the animal Savannah, and gorgeous accommodations. It is also huge and depending on where your room is, can take 3-4 times the effort to get to/from your room as it does at POFQ.
I have mixed feelings -- I primarily stay at POFQ because I like its location, its great moderate facilities, and the boat to DTD. I also like it since I do not travel with kids, and I like the more adult atmosphere there...on the other hand, AKL is certainly more "magical".
The last thing you need to worry about is "how far it is from the parks" -- the busses get you there fast enough and they run often. There really won't be much difference in travel time from AKL to some of the parks as there would be from POFQ.

bethymouse

AKL itself is breathtaking w/ some wonderful restaurants and themeing of course.:cool: The standard rooms are great, especially if you ask for a room that you are able to see the animals ( there are some w/o paying that outrageous "savannah view" price). It is a deluxe hotel, so you get a nice room.:) On the down side, it only has bus transportation.:(
POFQ is nice if you like Downtown Disney. The boat launch takes you there. The rooms are "outside" entrances and feel somewhat "motel"-ish.;) But there is a slide at the pool and the grounds are beautiful.:) It's a moderate of course, so not quite so expensive. I guess my choice would be AKL because we generally do deluxe now.;)

Tuvalu

The last thing you need to worry about is "how far it is from the parks" -- the busses get you there fast enough and they run often. There really won't be much difference in travel time from AKL to some of the parks as there would be from POFQ.

Respectfully disagree. POFQ is very close to the Studios, Epcot and MK and most times of the day has its own bus (with the exception of mid-afternoon when it shares with POR). AKL shares with Kidani Village and stops at Blizzard Beach on every run (at least it did when we stayed at AKL.) An extra 5 or 10 minutes per each bus ride does add up, especially when you are tired.

ParentsOf4

According to my copy of the Unofficial Guide, travel times using Disney buses are as follows (average time in minutes followed by maximum time in parenthesis):

POFQ
MK: 22 (32)
Epcot: 25 (36)
DHS: 24 (34)
DAK: 28 (40)

AKL
MK: 35 (50)
Epcot: 28 (39)
DHS: 26 (37)
DAK: 11 (18)

BoarderPhreak

There's nothing wrong with POFQ - but if given the choice, it's a no-brainer IMO... AKL!

The downside is that yes, it's a bit more "out of the way" in the lower corner of the property. But the theming, animals, dining options, shops, lounges, etc. are all top-notch. Well worth it, IMO. And really - anything on property isn't THAT far away.

littleroo

I am a POFQ "regular'" and obviously, LOVE it but if I were to ever switch it would be to AKL. The restaurants there have amazing food with a tremendous staff! It all depends on your priorities. An extra few minutes on the bus most likely will go unnoticed after a day at the parks. Cheers to a wonderful decision and a magical adventure!

lovepooh

I have stayed at the FQ for our last 3 visits, next week with be our 4th time. We love it! we also bring our kids. Its great for people with out kids and people with kids. My boys love the pool and the slide! I prefer a smaller resort so we can walk easily to anything we need. I also have no complaints about the food court. For me when we do table dinning I like to be off property to try different things. that's just my thoughts:)

lovedis

Original Poster
I love hearing all of your replies! I really do appreciate it. Just to answer a few questions, we will be traveling with our 3 children (ages 5-13), and we will not be renting a car. Plan to use Disney transportation the entire trip. We will only switch to AKL if the discount is good - I'm anxious for those to come out for Oct dates! We are planning on doing 2 resort days, and that's where I think we would be happier at AKL...just seems like there is more to do at the resort than at POFQ. But we would like to spend half of one of those days at DTD, so the boat from POFQ would be nice.
My only hang up with AKL is the "far away from everything" stuff that I keep reading. Although a few of your posts put me at ease about that, so thank you :)
This will probably be our last trip to WDW for quite awhile, so I just want to make the best choice.

BoarderPhreak

It's not "far away" (as luv says above) - it's more towards a corner of the property than those surrounding, say - Epcot or MK. With Epcot being centrally located and MK up in another corner. Don't worry about missing out on anything or things taking too long moving around, etc. Nothing on property is really that far away.

While it might take a little longer to reach MK - you'll be at AK in no time. If you're staying by MK, it's just the opposite. Both reach Epcot in about the same amount of time.

In the grand scheme of things, pick the resort that YOU want to be at. Disney transportation is the great equalizer. :)

Uddy

I have stayed at all three multiple times and if this is your last trip for a while, Stay at Wilderness Lodge. Far better than PORS or POFQ. It is similar to AKL without the animals. Truthfully you don't see too many animals without the right room and you'll most likely be going to the Animal Kingdom park and see plenty of animals there. Actual at WL there are tons of little rabbits and ducks running wild that come right up to you. WL is closer to everything, Magic is over the top and the pool and all it's effects are nothing less than stunning. I love that there are more than one way to get to the parks. Bus, boat, and monorail to Epcot (via bus to Contempory, Yes it's quicker than the bus). Great resturants, like AKL, just lots more convenient. Trust me, it is worth it. WILDERNESS, WILDERNESS, WILDERNESS, You'll thank me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom