Pleasure Island?

TLM323

Original Poster
Hi All :wave:

Has anyone taken their kids/teens (my Twins are 14) to Pleasure Island? I realize that it's mostly a 21+ spot (& the clubs have age restrictions), but it appears (reading Birnbaum's, PassPorter) that "Comedy Warehouse" may be more family friendly (if we hit an early show), am I wrong? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

~ Tammy

Tiki_Tiki_Tiki

i went to pleasure island when i had just and i mean just literally turned 15 with my friend and her mom to the adventurers club and it was fun

BRER STITCH

Ok....I'll be the one to say NO!

Would you take your kids to hang around the BAR district in your own town? :veryconfu

Pleasure Island is an opportunity for Disney to get more money from ADULTS by selling them BOOZE and food in a designated area where ADULTS can feel at ease with other ADULTS and not have to worry about someone else's kids.

Others will try to be nice and encourage you to take your kids with you to the bars, (early show, etc....blah blah blah...) but most who go there for the above reasons would prefer you left the kids at home.

There are plenty of other alternatives for kids at Disney World that don't involve parading them through an adult party spot.

Let's just call it what it is and everyone will be safe!

:wave:

Littlebit

I would have to disagree with Brer Stitch.

Granted, the Clubs at PI are bars and their main source of income is from the alcohol that they sell. That being said, except for the 2 or 3 dance clubs that have an age restriction, WDW is still a "family" place and there is still entertainment at the 2 comedy clubs (Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club) that is kid-friendly. I've been going to the AdvClub for 13-1/2 years and there is VERY little difference in the humor they use when there are children around vs. not. Granted, there are SOME differences, but it's subtle, generally not noticable to most guests and the "kid friendly" humor doesn't detract from the overall entertainment. Fine, so they won't say "Hell" or "testicles" when there are kids around. Big deal.

Both of the comedy clubs sometimes rely on double entendre that may or may not go over a 14y/o's head. If a woman is wearing a particularly low-cut shirt, there may be comments but not one that are particularly "dirty" in any way...many times the performers allow the audience to make their own jokes in their heads (grin). Yes, the kids may be subjected to people who have drunk too much and the behaviors that go along with that, but in this day and age, they've seen and heard much more and much worse in schools, TV and movies than PI could ever offer.

The Adventurers Club is open for free from 7pm to 9pm, if you want to experience it for a little while without having to commit to paying to get in. That might help you decide.

RonAnnArbor

Count me in...not only is there little for your 15 year old to see or do on PI, it is one of the places adults can go to get away from 15 year olds. Please don't take your kids to PI.

sgmco

As far as the Comedy clubs go, Comedy Warehouse usually has this disclaimer: "Here at Walt's Magical Kingdom there are certain words, phases and concepts that magically disappear when you pass our gates..." The performers know that there can be families and kids in the audience, so the performances are toned way down, compared to traditional Improv.

At the Adventurers Club, be prepared to be kidded about brining "kids to a bar", but the early evening (pre-9pm) is fairly tame. All bets are off later in the evening when you start seeing more inebriated and more scantily-clad guests showing up. Also, sometimes during later openings (due to banquets, convention buy-outs, etc.), you may encounter some carry-over from that crowd that may be obnoxious and intoxicated.:hammer:

jesserin

RonAnnArbor said:
Count me in...not only is there little for your 15 year old to see or do on PI, it is one of the places adults can go to get away from 15 year olds. Please don't take your kids to PI.

Gimme a break, don't go to disney world if you want to get away from kids... :rolleyes:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
How sheltered a life some "kids" lead. Cant see a man with a beer telling fart jokes but can own a semi automatic weapon.:dazzle:

sgmco

jesserin said:
Gimme a break, don't go to disney world if you want to get away from kids... :rolleyes:

If you go on a Disney Cruise they have areas and activities for just kids, just teens and just adults. It's not that people don't like kids (or adults, for that matter), it's just that sometimes you want to have some time with a group of people your own age. Downtown Disney is roughly the same. You have Disney Quest which is for Families/Teens and you have Pleasure Island, which is largely adults.

As I recall, when Pleasure Island came into being, Disney started marketing aggressively to Adults without children and to Empty Nesters. There's something about Disney that appeals to the kid in all of us, and you don't have to have kids to come here.

jesserin

sgmco said:
If you go on a Disney Cruise they have areas and activities for just kids, just teens and just adults. It's not that people don't like kids (or adults, for that matter), it's just that sometimes you want to have some time with a group of people your own age. Downtown Disney is roughly the same. You have Disney Quest which is for Families/Teens and you have Pleasure Island, which is largely adults.

As I recall, when Pleasure Island came into being, Disney started marketing aggressively to Adults without children and to Empty Nesters. There's something about Disney that appeals to the kid in all of us, and you don't have to have kids to come here.

of course you don't have to have kids to visit WDW - don't recall anyone stating otherwise - but to tell someone not to bring their teen's to part's of WDW just b/c you want a night away from them is just rude - the question wasn't "is it alright with you if i bring my kids?" it was asking if it is okay to bring two 15 y/o's - and the answer is yes - that's not a problem.

RonAnnArbor

sgmco said:
It's not that people don't like kids (or adults, for that matter), it's just that sometimes you want to have some time with a group of people your own age.

Here Here...and I stick with that original posting. The posting asked if it was okay to bring your 15 year old to PI. I stated that I would prefer not to see them there, and that is the sentiment of a large number of people at PI in the evening.

I don't have kids, my friends don't have kids, and after a day of kids, it's great to get away from them. Pleasure Island was created specifically for adults. Yes you can bring your kids with you under supervision. Why would you want to, especially knowing that a large number of people are going to give you snears and not want you there? I think the original poster needs to know that children are NOT necessarily warmly welcomed in this part of WDW, and indeed as the evening goes on, people will even treat familes with children rudely, the intoxication level rises, and it is an adult atmosphere. Why would I subject a child to that? Hence, I repeat - please don't bring your children to PI.

Bytowner

RonAnnArbor said:
Here Here...and I stick with that original posting. The posting asked if it was okay to bring your 15 year old to PI. I stated that I would prefer not to see them there, and that is the sentiment of a large number of people at PI in the evening.

I don't have kids, my friends don't have kids, and after a day of kids, it's great to get away from them. Pleasure Island was created specifically for adults. Yes you can bring your kids with you under supervision. Why would you want to, especially knowing that a large number of people are going to give you snears and not want you there? I think the original poster needs to know that children are NOT necessarily warmly welcomed in this part of WDW, and indeed as the evening goes on, people will even treat familes with children rudely, the intoxication level rises, and it is an adult atmosphere. Why would I subject a child to that? Hence, I repeat - please don't bring your children to PI.

I would also have to agree with the sentiment that PI is not for children. Alcohol is being sold right on the streets of PI, and there are always a few inebriated people around. I'm frankly a little surprised that this isn't a no-brainer for parents. I mean, there are five golf courses at Disney, but I don't expect to find many parents dragging their children onto the green while they get in a few rounds of golf!

Neverwhere

Nothing at PI is family friendly, but if you think your kids can handle a bar atmosphere (drunk people in the streets, etc.) The Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurer's Club are both PG-13 rated earlier in the evening.

Neverwhere

jesserin said:
of course you don't have to have kids to visit WDW - don't recall anyone stating otherwise - but to tell someone not to bring their teen's to part's of WDW just b/c you want a night away from them is just rude - the question wasn't "is it alright with you if i bring my kids?" it was asking if it is okay to bring two 15 y/o's - and the answer is yes - that's not a problem.

My aunt took me and my friend to the AC when we were 18. We survived.

sillyspook13

It's really a matter of judging the maturity of your own children. Up until two years ago, I was the youngest person in my family and being raised entirely by adults. I've always been more mature than most my age, both in behavior and sense of humor. My parents began bringing me to Pleasure Island when I was four years old. They didn't bring me at any younger age because it simply hadn't been built yet. Excluding drinking, I was able to keep up with the "grown-ups" and often wanted to stay when everybody else was tired and ready to go home.

Not all children can appreciate Pleasure Island like I did. Just keep in mind whether or not you feel your children will enjoy a place geared toward adults. And as long as your children seem to be having a good time, MOST adults won't mind them being around.:)

TimonRulz

My brother who was 14 at the time was with us for a later show. It was around midnight. There wasn't anything really that you wouldn't hear on "Whose Line is it Anyway?", but its improv, so who knows what might get spouted out. We always have a great time there though. Those guys are so FUNNY! :p

BRER STITCH

jesserin said:

Well...in the interest of accuracy....the twins are 14 and the Original Poster asked for our thoughts on the information presented in two travel books.

Your reply was YOUR OPINION, and everyone else is entitled to share theirs too...even if it doesn't agree with yours. The answer to some is NOT necessarily "yes" as you have decreed above!

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom