Pleasure Island no more.

alilance

Original Poster
:(:( I haven't been on this site recently due to the fact that I don't have a trip planned for the first time in 23 years, and it is just too painful and depressing to read this awesome site. Anyway, I had read a while back about Pleasure Island shutting down its clubs and went on the site today and realized that day was yesterday!! I really wanted to say that I actually got really depressed reading that and almost cried. I remember going to the clubs when I was a little girl with my mom and dad, dancing in 8-Trax, walking around and waiting for the day when I was old enough to be able to go to the clubs myself and get into the mysterious "Mannequins" club! Well, now that I'm 32 years old, obviously that time came and went. I had such awesome experiences and memories from Pleasure Island, most recently with my Husband for our 1st Anniversary this past June. We loved the Comedy Club, The Adventurer's Club, and having a little too much to drink and dancing late night at Mannequins! I'm not sure why Disney decided to do this. I KNOW I'm not the only person who feels this way! I just wanted to give my condolences to everyone who feels the same! RIP Pleasure Island Clubs. You were surely be missed!!:(:(

RonAnnArbor

I'm not sure how huge of a loss the clubs are. I've been dragged to them for years, and frankly, there isn't a club there that isn't outdone by some club or another in people's metropolitan hometowns.

PI has to adapt to the times -- Pleasure Island was designed at a time when adults went dancing. That doesn't happen anymore for the most part. Disney is keeping up with the times -- people have been demanding more dining and drinking establishments down at Downtown Disney for years, and major retail store sponsors aren't going to flock to a danceclub-laced area. I think the loss of a comedy club is probably something that will probably be rethought down the road, but the idea of a special place where people go party and dance is long gone, pretty much everywhere these days.

Personally, over the last 6 or 7 years or so, I've had no pleasurable memories of PI, except for having to pass through it to get from one side of DD to the other, and having dinner at Raglan Road and wondering why it was stuck on PI...it will be nice to have an entirely new DD area with restaurants and shops -- and fewer intoxicated 21 year olds.

I know the planned Hanes design-your-own-shirt store will probably be immensely popular, as will T-Rex when it opens. The large balloon that will eventually fly over DD (similar to the one at Disneyland Paris, which is quite cool) will also be nice to see (and much cooler than one might expect). And getting rid of that stale beer smell all over PI and redesigning and repainting will bring in more interest from restaurants and retailers.

One thing to recall -- DD is not only a draw for Disney folks anymore, but also a very popular place for Orlando locals to go shopping and dining and still feel the "disney magic." You can't underestimate that.

The entire DD idea came out when Disney needed a way to keep their resort guests busy after the park closed. As Extended Magical Hours kept the resort fans in the parks longer, they welcomed the Orlando community more than they ever had with specials, restaurant coupons distrubuted only to residents, and other marketing techniques. Over time, it has transformed itself in the mold of a lifestyle outdoor mall, and its what Disney needs to keep the money flowing there, just like all other retail establishments. It's not just for Disney guests anymore -- it's an Orlando-based retail/dining mall.

I'm not sure how huge of a loss the clubs are. I've been dragged to them for years, and frankly, there isn't a club there that isn't outdone by some club or another in people's metropolitan hometowns.

Adventurer's Club is and will always be one of a kind.

As for the rest, I will agree with you. However there was this atmosphere at PI that was always enjoyable, to me anyways. Alot of wonderful memories on that Island.

RonAnnArbor

Since when do adults not go dancing anymore?? :confused::confused:

Look at the entertainment market statistics -- going out dancing at a club ranks very low on the entertainment scale (i.e. places people now spend money). I'm not saying people aren't going out dancing. I am saying they are no longer a considerable market share.

Remember, we're not talking about things people like to do -- we're talking about things that bring in MORE MONEY for Disney.

CaptainMichael

One thing to recall -- DD is not only a draw for Disney folks anymore, but also a very popular place for Orlando locals to go shopping and dining and still feel the "disney magic." You can't underestimate that.

The last bit of "Disney Magic" in Downtown Disney was closed last night.

BrittanyRose428

Maybe someone already thought of this (and Im too young to see PI's real importantance) but why didn't they just keep open one or two clubs and close the rest? So that way they could still build more retail and restaurants and still have a few clubs?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Maybe someone already thought of this (and Im too young to see PI's real importantance) but why didn't they just keep open one or two clubs and close the rest? So that way they could still build more retail and restaurants and still have a few clubs?
I'm guessing the backlash for closing them all is less than the backlash for leaving one or two for the same admission cost. AC required a multi-club admission regardless of whether you went to other clubs, reducing the number of clubs available for the multi-club cost would've really annoyed people. :shrug:

CaptainMichael

I think that management believed it would be easier to get rid of all of them instead of dealing with the logistics of just keeping the AC and CW open. Also, they'll have more land to sell. I do find it funny that they're closing everything down without anything to replace them...yet.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think that management believed it would be easier to get rid of all of them instead of dealing with the logistics of just keeping the AC and CW open. Also, they'll have more land to sell. I do find it funny that they're closing everything down without anything to replace them...yet.

Yes, that is reckless business management at it's finest!

hemloc

Look at the entertainment market statistics -- going out dancing at a club ranks very low on the entertainment scale (i.e. places people now spend money). I'm not saying people aren't going out dancing. I am saying they are no longer a considerable market share.

You obviously haven't been to Miami, LA or NYC recently :ROFLOL:...

LoriMistress

AC will surely be missed. There are strong rumors where they are turning PI into a small adult only amusement park; that's themed more like a huge carnival. They will only allow a certain amount of people into the parks per evening. Not sure if this rumor will eventually be true, but it would be nice.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
AC will surely be missed. There are strong rumors where they are turning PI into a small adult only amusement park; that's themed more like a huge carnival. They will only allow a certain amount of people into the parks per evening. Not sure if this rumor will eventually be true, but it would be nice.
I think you're mixing info.

Jim Hill rumoured that they were planning "Nightly Kingdom" which was to be an adult-oriented park with very expensive admission cost but included an AC-type club and a gourmet meal. The announced plan for PI is up-scale stores and dining, we just don't know yet what stores or dining will go there.

ddbutts1

About the no one dancing part, have ya heard the music is currently out there? Hardly danceable! One of the reasons I don't listen to the radio anymore only to my ipods.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
About the no one dancing part, have ya heard the music is currently out there? Hardly danceable! One of the reasons I don't listen to the radio anymore only to my ipods.

The radio has very rarely catered to the Dance music genre. There have been some crossovers, sure, but as a rule Dance music and Top 40 are two separate animals. There is still Dance music out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom