Pleasure Island changes with confirmed dates

Magic Maker

walt said:
Well me in my opinion I like whats happening to P.I I hope they close down all the clubs over there and make some shops and restaurants cause I personally think P.I should of never been designed in the first place cause it does not fit nor reflect the family atmosphere of disney and like walt always stated he always said disney was a place of family fun not adult nightlife anyways thats just in my opinion. I'm looking forward to the changes they will make.:cool:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! To that, you are forgetting that WDW is all about balance something for everyone, not just for families, but everyone. Besides the CMs need a place to let loose thank you so very, very, very much!!!!!!!!

Magic Maker

No one seems to have noticed the info that was included about the new restuarant opening in Asia at AK next year according to the article

-SIR-

I regret I never really got a dose of the "real" pleasure island. I have seen videos of a longer fireworks show, really cool confetti storms and lots of live entertainment and the gypsy like carnival logo looked so cool and kept with a really interesting and totally "adult disney" theme. I have a feeling that with the additions of the bridge and all it will take away from pleasure island being the just for adults attraction it is today and become more like citywalk at universal... with everything mostly mixed in (restaurants, clubs, shops.. I guess we might be in danger of losing that awesome feeling of being on an island built for the fun of adults but on the up-side it might be possible that other areas on the westside could get more nicely themed clubs... who knows...I put my trust in the company to make decisions based on income but not to forget the main purpose of the area...to entertain...what disney does best... im not too worried

Thelazer

For those who did not have the pleasure to experience the "real" pleasure island I'll set the stage.

You first must understand that this is an "Adults" area. As a kid, going there your options were limited. You had to be with an adult at all times and most clubs you could not go into. As a kid, you could go into the Rock N Roll Beach club, as well as the AC and Comedy. Of course, you could eat at the fireworks factory (GREAT BBQ)

Now, as the night starts you'll find all sorts of going ons. DJ's would be out on the street, music loud and the crowd hot. Plenty of folks, lines to enter the clubs. Yes, even RRBC had a line in its day.

You'd hear the people talk about the lighting and sound in Manq, you would hear the stories about the last show in Comedy and if your lucky your parents might even take you to one of the later shows. Though they would always get a bit raunchy. One of the things you might do is visit the AC. However, in it's day the Ad Club was MUCH better. The actors were better, they had more control over their role and there was NO mention of the outside world. No matter how much you tried, you could not trip these guys up with any current day refs.

Now as the night builds, people start talking about the New Years Eve Show. You'd file out on the street along with, TONS of people. Even on a Tuesday night. Wow, the street is packed. The stage would be dark and you'd wait for the show to start. As it happened, the music, lighting and dancers would overwhelm you. Truly, no club on earth could top this. Then, the fireworks. From ALL OVER the island and a TON of confetti. You'd think, it was over but nope, and then Frankie and the West End Boys would take the stage. Talk about a high-energy band, Frankie would run all over the place. People would dance in the street. You would really feel the energy.

Well, that's all gone now. The place is a shadow of it's former self, and will soon be just another memory in so many folks minds. Luckily, I did have the chance to see what it was all about "Back the day" and I'm thankful I did.

Much like visiting the original 1980's Epcot, Pleasure Island was something you could only see @ Disney world.

Mr.Pickles

Account Suspended
Mr.Pickles wonders in dreamy thought if that little gyro stand in PI will disappear.Mr.Pickles dont know if he can get a gyro elsewhere.

Mr.Pickles loves a good gyro. Yes indeed.

tirian

In my opinion, PI lost its special touch when it tried to become like every other club hotspot and focused on college kids instead of adults. The new atmosphere isn't very appealing to adults (PI's target audience) and is too "Disney-fied" for most college students (except, of course, for CPs, who have arguably helped PI develop a bad reputation as a Disney CM-hangout). Which clubs should stay and which should go is a matter of opinion; but Mannequin's has definitely embarrassed Disney lately (drunk character CMs unloading their complaints on Guests).

The irony is that in the local crowds, the more Disney has tried to make PI hip and edgy, the more that Orlando young adults flock away from Disney to Church Street. No offense to the CP kids on the boards--I know you need a place to go--but within Orlando, PI is mostly considered a place full of drunk College Program kids. Even the Professional Interns (which I have personally been) tend to go to Church Street instead of PI. On my internship, the majority of us stayed away from PI as much as possible.

The closure is sad, because PI once had a great deal of potential; and unlike today's version, the original didn't require getting drunk or dancing (?) to have a good time... it was much more like a series of night clubs as opposed to college hangouts. But since the classic Pleasure Island warehouse district is gone, I'd like to see all the nightclubs disappear and the entire area become an extended West Side, complete with a bowling alley, ice rink (which, incidentally, was in Walt's original WDW plans), and the original Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse.

tirian

Magic Maker said:
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! To that, you are forgetting that WDW is all about balance something for everyone, not just for families, but everyone. Besides the CMs need a place to let loose thank you so very, very, very much!!!!!!!!

I really, really want to make sure that you don't misinterpret what I posted. I'm not blaming CMs for PI's bad reputation, but I'm just pointing out that the general opinion (true or not!) within the Orlando area is that PI is mostly just drunk College Program kids. How do I know this? Well, apart from living here and being the clubbing age (and therefore knowing where Orlando's hotspots are and aren't, my coworker's boyfriend is a PI manager. I knew about these closures and why they were happening last September.

Yes, CMs need a place to hang out; but unfortunately, some CM behavior, combined with Disney's determination to protect their brand, has made the dance clubs at PI a troubled area at WDW. (I've heard that all the dance clubs but two will eventually be replaced.)

uklad79

Whats the latest on the state of the island? Have the stages and walls now gone? Are the bridge and boat dock being worked on? Are walls still all over the place?

The walls are still up and both stages have been knocked down. Now they are working on clearing the land. I believe they have poared a set of footers for the bridge from West Side. Not sure if construction on the docks have started yet. Heres some pics I took the other day of West End Stage and the Hub Stage...

Attachments

• 100_2765.JPG
    100_2765.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_2766.JPG
    100_2766.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_2745.JPG
    100_2745.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_2763.JPG
    100_2763.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_2764.JPG
    100_2764.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 78

uklad79

Thanks for the pictures Jake. The place looks a mess shouldn't take too long to clear the remains of the stages away. I can not understand why they have left PI open in the day I am sure they could have worked faster if they closed all but Raglan Road area. The Island looks better much more open which will be nice at night I think. I see the shops are still standing and have yet to be flattened.
I was just thinking about the stages and released that these are only around 10 years old. The original stage was much smaller. The main stage must have cost a bit to build as it was huge.
I wounder what it will look like in just under 2 weeks when I go. I hope the ground is clear and the shops removed as it all looks a bit nasty in its current state.

leveeblues

Pardon my ignorance....

Leaving tomorrow for WDW, especially EPCOT, where I full well intend to experience photosynthesis at the flower festival. I've been reading posts about Pleasure Island but will someone tell me what CM is? From the entries I am assuming something to do with college aged visitors. Thanks, Merrily

HoW

leveeblues said:
Leaving tomorrow for WDW, especially EPCOT, where I full well intend to experience photosynthesis at the flower festival. I've been reading posts about Pleasure Island but will someone tell me what CM is? From the entries I am assuming something to do with college aged visitors. Thanks, Merrily

CM stands for Castmemeber.

djjohng

Personally I think the island's problems started with the lack of parking. Once the West Side opened, DTD became insanely busy on the weekends. Parking was always an issue, but people continued to come to PI because it was so unique. After 9/11 and cost cutting, Disney got rid of the Explosion Dancers, meaning the New Year's Eve celebration was just a video with some fireworks, the confetti was gone and so on. It became just another group of night clubs, but with bad parking.

Crowds started to not go to PI because there was nothing special about it, so management started to panic. As a result, PI is pretty much crap now, and it's destined to become CityWalk. I personally see Mannequins, BET, AC staying, but I don't know about the rest. It's really a shame, the old PI was amazing. I went every week when I was a CM, and every week we all had a great time.

I go back to WDW a couple times a year, and I used to kill to get to PI, but now I only go on the first Thursday of June which, to me, is the only fun night at PI / Mannequins anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom