Please please don't hate me, but...

MichelleBelle

Original Poster
I have a ton of "Dead Man's Chest" movie questions and I know there was at least one (or more) big threads on here where everyone discussed the movie when it came out last year. I've searched for those threads on here a bunch of times and haven't found anything - maybe i'm not looking correctly, but if someone knows where they are could you pleeeeeaase (pretty please) post a link or at least tell me how to search properly :brick: ? Thanks, and sorry for the lame post.

- Michelle

darthjohnny

I have a ton of "Dead Man's Chest" movie questions and I know there was at least one (or more) big threads on here where everyone discussed the movie when it came out last year. I've searched for those threads on here a bunch of times and haven't found anything - maybe i'm not looking correctly, but if someone knows where they are could you pleeeeeaase (pretty please) post a link or at least tell me how to search properly :brick: ? Thanks, and sorry for the lame post.

- Michelle

If you still can't find the answers, you could post them here.

I'll be happy to help you with them. :)

MichelleBelle

Original Poster
If you still can't find the answers, you could post them here.

I'll be happy to help you with them. :)

Aww, thank you!!

Well, my main question (which I'm sure has been asked and answered a bunch of times already on here) is Why doesn't Jack's compass work for him? Tia Dalma says "Jack Sparrow does not know what he wants? Or do you know and are loathe to claim as your own?" (or something to that effect).

I know that each time Jack and Elizabeth use the compass it points to the other, so is Tia hinting that the thing Jack doesn't want to "claim as his own" is actually Elizabeth?

I'm confused about this because the compass won't even work for him at the beginning of the movie so how could that Elizabeth theory make sense? Does it just mean he's afraid of Davy Jones?

I wish they would have explained it, but maybe they will in the 3rd movie. I just assumed Elizabeth flirted with Jack so she knew she could manipulate him, but I never understood why throughout the movie Jack couldn't get the compass to point where he wanted.

Anthony95

i thought the compass didn't work because Jack's heart wasn't in the right place or was indecisive or wanted to much, so, it kept not working.

but i never realized it was pointing back and forth between Jack and Elizabeth! lol... how funny.

Legacy

The compass points to the desire of the heart of the person holding it...

So therefore, Jack wanted Elizabeth (but didn't want to admit it because she is William's girl) and Elizabeth wants Jack (which causes a much larger issue).

Chances are good that Elizabeth will be the one who finds Jack.

darthjohnny

Aww, thank you!!

Well, my main question (which I'm sure has been asked and answered a bunch of times already on here) is Why doesn't Jack's compass work for him? Tia Dalma says "Jack Sparrow does not know what he wants? Or do you know and are loathe to claim as your own?" (or something to that effect).

I know that each time Jack and Elizabeth use the compass it points to the other, so is Tia hinting that the thing Jack doesn't want to "claim as his own" is actually Elizabeth?

I'm confused about this because the compass won't even work for him at the beginning of the movie so how could that Elizabeth theory make sense? Does it just mean he's afraid of Davy Jones?

I wish they would have explained it, but maybe they will in the 3rd movie. I just assumed Elizabeth flirted with Jack so she knew she could manipulate him, but I never understood why throughout the movie Jack couldn't get the compass to point where he wanted.

The audio commentary alludes something to what you're talking about.

The writers of the film, Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio, talk on the lines as if he desired Elizabeth.

But the writers also say that the compass really points to the thing you want most, not your hearts desire (therefore, you can change where the compass points if you're decisive.)

When Elizabeth used the compass, it seemed as if it pointed to Jack. This might not be because Elizabeth loved Jack, but because Jack Sparrow represented freedom and adventure, something Elizabeth desperately craved.

I believe Jack deep down really wanted to be good. But he could not find it in himself to do the right thing until the end. Hope that helps! :wave: :)

MichelleBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far everyone :)

I am hoping Jack and Elizabeth don't have a romance and the whole compass and "not knowing what he wants" is just to throw us off.

I just wish the darn 3rd movie would come out already so (hopefully) all this is answered!! They certainly did a good job of making a 2 hour cliffhanger!

darthjohnny

Thanks for the input so far everyone :)

I am hoping Jack and Elizabeth don't have a romance and the whole compass and "not knowing what he wants" is just to throw us off.

I just wish the darn 3rd movie would come out already so (hopefully) all this is answered!! They certainly did a good job of making a 2 hour cliffhanger!

You only have to wait until May.

At least it's not like Star Wars, where we'd have to wait 3 years! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom