Please help (crowds in august)

ashley17

hi there!
i'm brand new to this forum, so I hope I am going about asking this the right way.

A friend and I are planning our first trip to DisneyWorld for August 2007 and I was just wondering if that is a decent time to go crowd-wise and weather-wise.
I feel very lost, because I have been to Disneyland tons of times and I know the crowded times of year very well. Could you please help me to be more knowledgeable about DisneyWorld as well?

Her and I both start university again in september so unfortunately I think we are definately stuck with sometime in August.

Thanks for your help!

keri150107

hi there!
i'm brand new to this forum, so I hope I am going about asking this the right way.

A friend and I are planning our first trip to DisneyWorld for August 2007 and I was just wondering if that is a decent time to go crowd-wise and weather-wise.
I feel very lost, because I have been to Disneyland tons of times and I know the crowded times of year very well. Could you please help me to be more knowledgeable about DisneyWorld as well?

Her and I both start university again in september so unfortunately I think we are definately stuck with sometime in August.

Thanks for your help!

Never beem myself but most of the guidebooks seem to say that summer up until Labor day (?) is a very busy time

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We usually go in late August and the crowds are still up there (but not as bad as July). The weather is very hot and humid at that time and that tends to make people a little cranky. :lookaroun

If it is the only time that you can visit then make your plans, just factor in the longer wait times and the weather (usually there will be afternoon thunderstorms) and plan accordingly.

Welcome to the boards. :wave:

Upvote 0

cmatt

if you can blag it the first week in september (was when i went and im a uni student) worked well for me - and just how i like it! hot and humid, also take a trip over to universal as the crowds will be non exsistant! i walked on the hulk midweek....

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

2nd. half of August isn't as bad crowd-wise, since many schools throughout the country start school mid-August. The other "advantage" (I use that term SO loosely) is that it's hurricane season, which scares lots of folks away. It will get busier the closer you get to Labor Day. 3rd. week in August will be your best bet, but anticipate hot hot hot weather and high humidity.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We were in WDW this year August 1st - 22nd and were pleasantly surprised. We normally visit during the Easter fortnight and to be visiting during the school holidays (in particular, UK) we were expecting huge crowds and long lines. It didn't happen (often).

As for weather - hot, humid and the occasional downpour. First visit to AK the Jammin' Jungle parade was cancelled due to an approaching thunderstorm. Later in the trip we got wet waiting for Illuminations.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

kennygman

We went in Mid August and crowds were thin if you avoided the EMH park. Schools were in and no cars in lot. The later in the month the better.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I would try a later august date, if you had the option, it might work out better with the crowds. Be sure to take advantage of the Evening EMH, especially in the MK. Not only are some of the rides MUCH cooler in the dark, 12 AM crowd really thins the kids a bit and you don't wait very long on anything. Max 20 min the last time I was there in April over Easter.

Upvote 0

svickersart

We were there August 10 to the 19th this year and had a great time. It is hot, there was a heat spell for a few days and quite humid but it doesnt bother me. Crowds were not that bad by my standards, use fastpass, drink lots of water and take a break in the afternoon to recharge. Hit the parks at opening for shorter lines and before it gets really hot. It rained a few times, its funny, you can be at splash mountian and it could be a downpour and clear at space mountian. One thing you will find is most of the UK is there due to school being out for them. For us that makes it more interesting, we chatted with a lot of teahers and the such from the UK.
Steve

Upvote 0

abe_bb

We were there between the 15th and 22nd last year, and i gotta tell ya....

yes, the parks were busy.

The resort was sold-out and busy (but of course, it didn't help we arrived on the day of their resort-computer-crash. That was not fun).

But the only rides we had to wait more then 20 minutes for were Peter Pan, Soarin (like 180 minute waits WITH fastpass normally) and test track (we just did th esingle rider line, and always ended up in the same car anyway).

Everest was also busy, of course, but both times we went we somehow managed to hit a lull or with a fastpass.

The parks themselves are busier. But rides for lines were pretty evenly spread out. I dunno, maybe we just got really lucky. D efinitely twice as busy as September, but as long as you are enjoying yourself, the lines aren't that bad.

Upvote 0

swimmom

We went the last week in August a few years ago and it was only crowded on the weekend. On the weekdays we didn't wait more than 20 minutes for anything. The weather was very hot & humid. Each day was 90 plus!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I would try a later august date, if you had the option, it might work out better with the crowds. Be sure to take advantage of the Evening EMH, especially in the MK. Not only are some of the rides MUCH cooler in the dark, 12 AM crowd really thins the kids a bit and you don't wait very long on anything. Max 20 min the last time I was there in April over Easter.

Third week in August the MK was so packed that many of the rides had a 90 minute wait!..Add to the fact that it was over 100 degrees at midnight and the place was open until 2 am...it was no fun at all. We decided not to do MK EMH again as it was more crowded then than during the day.

Many of the schools (especially here in the northeast) are not back in session yet and everyone is trying to get in one last trip before Labor Day.
We go in August because that is the only time that works for us, but February or March is a favorite for short lines.

Upvote 0

PixiePrincess

hi there!

Thanks for your help!
Welcome!
We went for the first time this past August and it was great. Yes, it was hot, yes, it was crowded but we came prepared. We had tons of water, mister fans and we took our time and really kept a positive attitude. I was a nervous wreck after hearing others nightmare stories. Yet it turned out to be one of our best trips ever!
Go and enjoy!

Upvote 0

Space Mountain

Take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours. I go every year in August and it really depends on the weather. That usually determines what parks people go to and at what times. EMH always helped me every night, and it can give you a chance to relax and go shopping or swimming at your hotel during the day.

Upvote 0

ashley17

Original Poster
re:

thank you!
i didnt expect as many wonderful, helpful responses as I got! you guys are awesome!

I think through all of your feedback we have decided to go end of August/early Sept. As close to the start of school as we can.

Just one more question- what are early magic hours and how do we use them?

Upvote 0

GenerationX

The schedule for Extra Magic Hours (EMH) can be found on the Disneyworld site. If you're staying at a WDW resort, the morning EMH allows you to enter the park one hour before the rest of the public. The evening EMHs allow you stay three hours after the park has closed. Not all attractions are available during the EMHs, but most all of the popular ones are. All Ears Net maintains a list of attractions open for EMH.

August is a great time to go. The parks usually have long hours, so you can tour early or late in the day if you want.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom