Please delete.

Smiley/OCD

Speaking for myself and ONLY myself, I think the events of the
past few months has left a nasty taste in my mouth…I’m not trying to pick sides, both have positive and negative points, but it just doesn’t seem fun anymore. I try to post and pick my spots, but even now, I feel like I have to weigh everything I say so as not to offend anyone or the mods. It’s not the same place here as it was a year ago☹️

They should have kept the political page and kept steering all that pertinent thought there instead of deleting posts. Unfortunately, current events in the Orlando parks are 100% intertwined with politics.

I look forward to a return to the “not so old days”, but part of me says it ain’t gonna happen.

kalel8145

Speaking for myself and ONLY myself, I think the events of the
past few months has left a nasty taste in my mouth…I’m not trying to pick sides, both have positive and negative points, but it just doesn’t seem fun anymore. I try to post and pick my spots, but even now, I feel like I have to weigh everything I say so as not to offend anyone or the mods. It’s not the same place here as it was a year ago☹️

They should have kept the political page and kept steering all that pertinent thought there instead of deleting posts. Unfortunately, current events in the Orlando parks are 100% intertwined with politics.

I look forward to a return to the “not so old days”, but part of me says it ain’t gonna happen.
This is the point I have been trying to make. Thank you.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I lament this trajectory where naysayers who have refused to go to any park for years lambast those who have. Yes things change, but if you dont plan to go again because of x y or z, why impede those who discuss what exists today ?

Time for a forum composed of grumpy people where they can collectively shout "get off my lawn" at each other rather than interjecting it into every discussion ?

DfromATX

Actually, I haven’t noticed anything different. I’ve been here since 2012. People come and go, and many of the regular posters are still here. I really like this website and usually people are very helpful and friendly (to me anyway). But one thing could be that as far as social media goes, maybe people don’t use this type of format as much as they used to? I think it would be interesting to know all of our ages on here. I could be wrong, but I’m guessing most of us are older - 35 and up? I don’t see younger Disney fans coming on here to get into all of it like we do. But I could be way off… what do I know…

kalel8145

Actually, I haven’t noticed anything different. I’ve been here since 2012. People come and go, and many of the regular posters are still here. I really like this website and usually people are very helpful and friendly (to me anyway). But one thing could be that as far as social media goes, maybe people don’t use this type of format as much as they used to? I think it would be interesting to know all of our ages on here. I could be wrong, but I’m guessing most of us are older - 35 and up? I don’t see younger Disney fans coming on here to get into all of it like we do. But I could be way off… what do I know…
I have noticed a difference but that is probably mainly due to the fact I was never really active till now. I have mainly lurked and came on to read posts as I was getting closer to an upcoming trip. Just to see what was up. It was always very positive and informative. This time I noticed even long time members, those that I used to look forward to reading their posts, have become very negative. Some that are surprising as they are very respected members and held up high.

I do think the age of social media has contributed to it. Instead of informative or civil debate, everything is an argument. Or at least perceived that way. It seems every reply , intended or not, gets taken as coming at them.

I do believe that some are here strictly to be condescending and tear others down when they are excited about something, but I don't think it is many, just a few.

Maybe if we make a concerted effort to ignore those, things will become more positive. I am working on it myself. I was so shocked by the change in attitude on these boards, I immediately became defensive and lashed out. Again I believe social media has a lot to do with that. People are more comfortable charging from behind a keyboard. Myself included in that.

Goofyernmost

I understand why. Every thread gets met with some negativity. But let's try to over look the condescension from the usuals. Let's make an effort to be positive.
Just to add to the negativity, the general feel of the nation is in a deep hole. Even the above, a statement that I think is meant to be positive implies one thing and that is the "usual's" are supposed to be quiet because the rest are pristine and are the only credible contributors. I know I just interjected a negative in what is allegedly a righteous thought, but if you cannot see the irony in it then that would explain just which group is the "easily offended" group. Everyone has a right to their opinion negative or positive. No one should be censored. All anyone has to do is either ignore any statement that we don't agree with on a personal level or put forth the reasons why that negativity is wrong. That is called discussion. That is where people discuss both sides of a situation and are free to make their own decision on what is the correct stand and not try to stifle it. Who knows maybe with a more open mind all of us might have an opportunity to learn something.

Just another observation when was debate different then an argument, aren't they defined with pretty much the same wording?

Last edited:

kalel8145

Just to add to the negativity, the general feel of the nation is in a deep hole. Even the above, a statement that I think is meant to be positive implies one thing and that is the "usual's" are supposed to be quiet because the rest are pristine and are the only credible contributors. I know I just interjected a negative in what is allegedly an righteous thought, but if you cannot see the irony in it then that would explain just which group is the "easily offended" group. Everyone has a right to their opinion negative or positive. No one should be censored. All anyone has to do is either ignore any statement that we don't agree with on a personal level or put forth the reasons why that negativity is wrong. That is called discussion. That is where people discuss both sides of a situation and are free to make their own decision on what is the correct stand and not try to stifle it. Who knows maybe with a more open mind all of us might have an opportunity to learn something.

Just another observation when was debate different then an argument, aren't they defined with pretty much the same wording.
You are absolutely correct. Like I said I am working on it myself. I'm not perfect by any means. And if it means anything, I'm sorry for the way I came at you.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I joined when I was 12 back in 2010 😂. Now I’m 24.. and I’m pretty sure I still haven’t found anyone my age. My generation is NOT a forum generation. It’s Instagram, Twitter, tiktok, and MAYbe Facebook if you’re lucky.

I think that is the key. Forums are going to end up being a dying breed against things like Reddit (and the once popular tumblr).

I think the downfall in forums definitely started with my generation. I know not a single soul my age that would know what this is unless I compared it to Reddit.

We will definitely have less comes than we will goes.

Midwest Elitist

I joined when I was 12 back in 2010 😂. Now I’m 24.. and I’m pretty sure I still haven’t found anyone my age. My generation is NOT a forum generation. It’s Instagram, Twitter, tiktok, and MAYbe Facebook if you’re lucky.

I think that is the key. Forums are going to end up being a dying breed against things like Reddit (and the once popular tumblr).

I think the downfall in forums definitely started with my generation. I know not a single soul my age that would know what this is unless I compared it to Reddit.

Problem with Reddit and Twitter is if you agree with the community on 99% of things, and disagree on 1%< you get labeled as a bot, troll, etc.

As for this forum, I'm 25 and very much prefer this format to other social media when discussing a specific topic.

As for Disney, I'm just not excited anymore, because it seems like any news will just be the company &$#!ing something up.

Club Cooloholic

One of the reasons this skews older too is that many people here probably found the forum when they were searching for tips and advice on trip planning so those would be the people paying for the trip, us older people. This is about the only forum I am active in, and even then a lot of that is because we have been going to Disney parks pretty consistently the last few years. Our next trip is going to be the last for a few years though as we want to do some other big trips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom