Plastic shopping bags

Minnie1976

So this whole thing is BS, in other words.
Well it wasn’t BS in the Disney store in Gulfport MS. That is what I experienced this week. I walked out with my purchases in my hand. I was told by the cashier no more any kind of bag unless you purchase it.

Last edited:

Yellow Shoes

So here is what I will do if we go back. We have Disney bags left over. I will fold one up, put it n my pocket and hand it to the cashier when I make a purchase. "Put it in that please."
I'm planning on taking whatever bags I have at home. I have 3 of the drawstring backpacks that fold down to nearly nothing, and lightweight, and you can cram a whole lotta stuff in them.

Bronson55

Just returned from WDW two days ago. All the resort shops and Disney Springs stores we made purchases at provided the Disney plastic bags or the stores own logo bag. Only place that didn't have plastic bags were the food courts although they did have paper bags with handles. We didn't encounter any place that didn't have a bag of some sort were the small pretzel vendor type kiosks. Also, plastic straws were available one at a time at the cash register at the Beach Club but most other locations still had the dispensers .

thomas998

Alas, you missed my point.

WDW hands out bags that aren't needed, and reducing waste is a good thing.

Why exactly is reducing waste a good thing? If your business is waste removal then waste is a good thing because without it you have no business. To every issue there are two sides, how many people will lose their job is all plastic bags were banned across the country? Do we not care about people being able to work? Unless you have a problem where you are going to be knee deep in waste, the whole reducing waste is just a sound bite that environmentalist love to throw around... Who even defines what waste is? I don't drink, so to me it is a waste of resources to grow grains to brew beer, doesn't mean I think we should ban beer because I see it as a waste. It would be nice if people wouldn't try to dictate to others how to live when what others are doing or not doing doesn't impact them.

If I use 10 times as many plastic bags as you then as long as I'm not throwing them out my car window and instead dispose of them properly it really doesn't matter to you.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Why exactly is reducing waste a good thing? If your business is waste removal then waste is a good thing because without it you have no business. To every issue there are two sides, how many people will lose their job is all plastic bags were banned across the country? Do we not care about people being able to work? Unless you have a problem where you are going to be knee deep in waste, the whole reducing waste is just a sound bite that environmentalist love to throw around... Who even defines what waste is? I don't drink, so to me it is a waste of resources to grow grains to brew beer, doesn't mean I think we should ban beer because I see it as a waste. It would be nice if people wouldn't try to dictate to others how to live when what others are doing or not doing doesn't impact them.

If I use 10 times as many plastic bags as you then as long as I'm not throwing them out my car window and instead dispose of them properly it really doesn't matter to you.
Unless you're in a country where the garbage collectors just dump their trucks in the river.

Nottamus

I was just in WDW all last week, and I did see plastic bags everywhere.

Also, we were given one at Epcot buying sweets in Germany

I know they will phase out...but they still give some out.

thomas998

...and yet WE'RE the country implementing all these bans on plastic straws 'n' such...
It is always ironic... we pushed all sorts of clean air standards while China and India continued to build the nastiest coal power plant you have ever imagined... I sometime wonder if anyone pushing the environmental laws realizes that even if someone would wave a magic wand and make the entire country disappear that it wouldn't mean much of anything when you have countries with billions of people moving forward with little care about the environment whatsoever.

eliza61nyc

And your last paragraph is the problem thomas, it would be nice if everyone was like you but alas we know that is not true. We know this to be true from the garbage we find every where. Lol, this past summer Gettysburg National park put out a public request for folks to please stop leaving their trash in the park. REALLY?? We actually have to ask grown a adults not to trash NATIONAL PARKS??
I usher in my church and am astounded how many folks need to be told not to leave Starbucks cups all over the church.
Like most things regulations pop up because people Don't do what they should.
And sorry trying to equate waste reduction to job loss is stretching an argument imo.

thomas998

And your last paragraph is the problem thomas, it would be nice if everyone was like you but alas we know that is not true. We know this to be true from the garbage we find every where. Lol, this past summer Gettysburg National park put out a public request for folks to please stop leaving their trash in the park. REALLY?? We actually have to ask grown a adults not to trash NATIONAL PARKS??
I usher in my church and am astounded how many folks need to be told not to leave Starbucks cups all over the church.
And sorry trying to equate waste reduction to job loss is stretching an argument imo.
Reality is when you regulate things just because of a few bad seeds you often end up costing people jobs. Frankly I put more value on someone having a job than I do eliminating something simply because it is abused by a few people. Often times the problems you have mentioned could be solved quite easily if people would simply confront the people doing bad things. In church your minister simply needs to state that they are in God's house and shouldn't treat it like a pig stye by leaving trash in it... I'm guessing you would instantly see people take their trash, and if not simply call them out in front of others when you see them leave something.... National parks, just hire a few guards to catch the people that litter and fine them a few thousand dollars, it will soon result in people stopping and the amount of revenue raise would more than pay for the guards... but the current climate doesn't do the simple thing instead they say will lets ban plastic, or lets ban this or that instead of actually addressing the problem.

eliza61nyc

Disney isn't banning plastic and no one here is saying that, plastic bags though are a useless waste of plastic. Lol i've got a plastic knee that is wonderful thanks to the wonders of science. I've saids consistently there is great advantages to plastic. Bags ain't one of them.
And yes my Bishop has said often that the church is not a drive through. People are self centered are you telling me folks don't know littering is nasty??

But you are right nothing modifies behavior like the mighty dollar. Philly we have a soda tax and a 5c a bag charge on plastic bags (not all supermarkets) soda consumption has gone down (haven't heard of any layoffs) and we definitely see less plastic bags in the street.
Truthfully though I didn't stop carrying plastic because of a charge but because they have gotten so darn thin and cheap they break.
I think if Disney switches to paper shopping bags most folks won't bat an eye.
Better yet , want to see how quickly guest would change their tune?? Lol give them a 3% discount if they don't take a bag. Lol that would cut down consumption quick fast

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney isn't banning plastic and no one here is saying that, plastic bags though are a useless waste of plastic. Lol i've got a plastic knee that is wonderful thanks to the wonders of science. I've saids consistently there is great advantages to plastic. Bags ain't one of them.
And yes my Bishop has said often that the church is not a drive through. People are self centered are you telling me folks don't know littering is nasty??

But you are right nothing modifies behavior like the mighty dollar. Philly we have a soda tax and a 5c a bag charge on plastic bags (not all supermarkets) soda consumption has gone down (haven't heard of any layoffs) and we definitely see less plastic bags in the street.
Truthfully though I didn't stop carrying plastic because of a charge but because they have gotten so darn thin and cheap they break.
I think if Disney switches to paper shopping bags most folks won't bat an eye.
Better yet , want to see how quickly guest would change their tune?? Lol give them a 3% discount if they don't take a bag. Lol that would cut down consumption quick fast
I bet soda sales in Philly have gone down... while soda sales outside the city and probably across the river in Jersey have gone up the same amount.

John park hopper

I taught my sons not to leave trash any where and guess what they don't and they are now adults. Far too many parents don't teach their off spring to be responsible and that is why you are having to pick up after slobs be it in national parks and of all places church.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom