Planning Our Last Adults-Only Trip for a While

DisNerd86

I have never done a trip planning report, or trip report, but now felt like as good a time as any to join in on the fun. My husband and I found out recently that we are expecting our first child in June 2017. We are pretty pumped about this, for lots of reasons naturally. One reason I am thrilled is that I have grown up a huge fan of all things Disney, and I absolutely can not wait to share that with our little one. Seeing the look on my kiddo's face the first time they see the castle at the end of Main Street USA is a moment I have been thinking about for years. Hey, I still tear up on our first day each trip, so this shared joy is not something I take lightly.

We went to Disney World A LOT when I was a kid because I was a competitive dancer and it seems like we competed there every summer of my childhood. My wonderful husband, on the other hand, had never been to Disney World and scoffed at the notion of going all together for many years. I hadn't been since my senior year of high school when, post-law school/CPA exam and getting a job, I finally convinced him that it might be something he would enjoy. "Give it a shot!" I said. "If you hate it we don't have to go back" I said. But I knew that he would be hooked just like I am. So in May 2014 we made our first adults-only trip work a week at the World. He. Was. Floored. There is no denying the Disney magic, and it worked on him like a charm. Since that trip we have been back 2 more times (in October 2015 and April 2016), once taking his parents for the first time as well.

We love Disney for so many reasons, not the least of which is the food. We like the rides of course, but they aren't the main draw for us. When we go, I plan meticulously to maximize our time and we spend every waking minute in the parks eating, wandering, riding and soaking in the magic. Now that I am pregnant, we know our Disney experiences are going to change dramatically. Gone will be the days of speed walking from SDMT to BTMR first thing in the morning. So long to visiting 3 parks in one day and drinking around the world. We are ready for the awesome new challenges and joys that come from taking kids to Disney, but we also want to have one last adults-only trip to our favorite home away from home.

So here's the plan -
Dates: January 7-11th (I am public accountant/tax attorney so my travel season gets very limited through April, and with the baby due in June we don't want to push a "babymoon" to the last month or so - hence the early in the year shortened trip)
Travelers: My super awesome husband/best friend and me (and the still cooking kid I carry around)
Hotel: All-Star Sports (only $76/night with the Gift of Magic Room offer)
Tickets: 3 day park hopper - we like to bounce around

We are driving from Kentucky on Friday into Saturday morning. Because of the WDW Marathon, rooms are more expensive if you check in on Saturday. So we are considering dropping our Saturday night reservation and getting a cheaper hotel off-site for that night. Then the plan would be to drive to AS Sports early Sunday, drop the car and catch the bus to Magic Kingdom (we always start with MK and waffles at Sleepy Hollow).

We have dining reservations on Monday night at Ohana, which I think will suit my 5 month pregnant appetite nicely. I am also considering making dinner reservations one night at 50s Prime Time, since we haven't been there together and it was a favorite of mine growing up. Also, I might try to snag something at Disney Springs for Saturday night since it's a non-park day and I hate to be in Orlando for a night without doing SOMETHING Disney related. If we keep our Saturday AS Sports reservation, we plan to play some putt-putt on Saturday afternoon after resting from the drive for a bit since we will have the on-site guest vouchers.

I know our ride planning will be different this time. I wont be able to do any of the mountains, coasters, or my favorite ToT. I'm also bummed to be missing out on Dinosaur because it was down for re-furb on our last trip. But I am so psyched to do something with my husband that he has never done. We've never done Peter Pan because we always felt it was a waste of the FP+ - and we always miss out on Toy Story Midway Mania because we use of the FP+ for RnRC. So those are musts. I am also so so happy that we are going to catch the HOP before it is changed out for the new person to live in the white house. We haven't seen the Obama AA and I was sad that I might miss him. Also, I am happy to ride TGMR one last time before it may be gone for good. We are looking forward to **HOPEFULLY** checking out ROL at AK if it is up and running, and really psyched to see the Star Wars fireworks.

So Disney fans, I am looking for advice on the following:
1. Any tips for a 5 month pregnant lady doing Disney in January?
2. We are thinking of having some pictures taken, maybe on the Poly beach. Any local photographer suggestions or advice about that? I'm not super sure of the rules there.
3. I feel like we should get our baby a souvenir to commemorate it's "first trip" to the world, even though it wont know it. Unfortunately, we wont know the gender for a few more weeks after we get back so we can't get monogrammed ears :( Any suggestions?
4. We haven't been to Disney Springs since our first trip in 2014, and there are a ton of new restaurants there now. What is your pick for a semi-casual meal there?

DisneyPrincess5

Congratulations on your pregnancy! How exciting to go to WDW while "cooking"! That little one doesn't know how lucky they have it. You're going at a great stage of your pregnancy, and at a great time of year. The weather should be quite comfortable for you.

It seems like you've got a firm grasp on the fact that you'll be touring differently so that's a great start.
I'd say take time to relax and kick your feet up, enjoy the little details most people miss by rushing from thing to thing, hydrate, enjoy great food, and soak up the time together. As far as a "first trip" souvineer goes, there's of course a ton of baby merchandise despite not knowing the gender. What about a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament if you celebrate Xmas?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom