Planning babys 1st visit - Please help pick where to stay and why.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
We are planning our son's 1st visit in June 2015 and super excited! He will be 1 years old. We have never traveled with children before and know this will be a different experience. Strollers/naps/etc. We do like Deluxe Resorts and tend to stay there but we also really like Port Orleans. Also, we know as we continue to go to WDW with child(ren), we will stay at Values and Moderates more for cost as well as theme experiences that will be enjoyed by our little one. For example, a Cars suite at Animation or a Pirate room at Caribbean. So I kept those off the list. We do love the Beach/Yacht Club but we stayed there the last two times and want to enjoy the pool and slide when Colin is a bit older. So I think we narrowed it down to 4 different resorts. Please tell us your choice and why. Any advice on choosing a resort with a little one would be very helpful!

Thank you!

Tinkerbell397

Hey @disneygirl76 ..... I hope motherhood is all you expected it to be. I am sure that you are totally over the moon in love with your little angel. :cat:
Anyway....for your first trip with baby, I would chose The GF. It is convenient, comfortable and just plain nice! I enjoy the 3 monorail resorts with young children because when you get off the monorail, you are home...there is no going back outside in the event of rain. I actually prefer the CR but that is not on your list. I like the ability to walk indoors to the stores and restaurants. The WL also fits into this category but there is no monorail and it is a bit of a hike from the boat or bus at the end of the day. If you stay at the GF, Poly or CR and baby falls asleep in the stroller, he can stay in it until you get to your room....you only have to transfer him to his crib. If you stay at a moderate, you need to take him out of the stroller on the boat or bus. This is of course only my opinion and it would be my preference if I were going with a 1 year old. Hope to see more pictures of Colin as he grows......:cat:

Upvote 0

wilkeliza

I would stay at a monorail resort. My sister in law always says they help the best because as pointed out kids don't have to come out of the stroller on the monorail. The only issue with GF is the rooms are separate from the main lobby. Contemporary if you can afford it gives you the best bang for your buck because you most likely will have a room in the same building or can use the BLT over pass.

Grand Floridian still gives you convenience babywise because you can monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. I've also heard it is a quieter resort except during fireworks time.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Hey @disneygirl76 ..... I hope motherhood is all you expected it to be. I am sure that you are totally over the moon in love with your little angel. :cat:
Anyway....for your first trip with baby, I would chose The GF. It is convenient, comfortable and just plain nice! I enjoy the 3 monorail resorts with young children because when you get off the monorail, you are home...there is no going back outside in the event of rain. I actually prefer the CR but that is not on your list. I like the ability to walk indoors to the stores and restaurants. The WL also fits into this category but there is no monorail and it is a bit of a hike from the boat or bus at the end of the day. If you stay at the GF, Poly or CR and baby falls asleep in the stroller, he can stay in it until you get to your room....you only have to transfer him to his crib. If you stay at a moderate, you need to take him out of the stroller on the boat or bus. This is of course only my opinion and it would be my preference if I were going with a 1 year old. Hope to see more pictures of Colin as he grows......:cat:

Thank you for the great advice! That is what we were thinking. Also, 2015 will be 10 years since our honeymoon, which we spent at GF, so I thought that was symbolic. Its pricey though. But I know you get what you pay for b/c its so amazing. Mommyhood is going well! He is such a good boy! And we are so over the moon in love and happy! I'm dreading going back to work even though I can take him with me b/c I just want it to be me and him all day every day! I love being a mommy so much! I don't want to share it with anyone else! I agree with you about the resorts. I was thinking, AK since we would be in the room at the resort more. But he would like that too so maybe when he is a toddler. And Port Orleans we loved but yes, the bus is a huge issue. I thought perhaps with a littler one it would be easier to take him in and out of the stroller. But its going to be a pain either way. And WL, I didn't know how they treat strollers on the boat. But you are right, we would only have that for MK and is the buses after that.

Here's a new picture

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I would stay at a monorail resort. My sister in law always says they help the best because as pointed out kids don't have to come out of the stroller on the monorail. The only issue with GF is the rooms are separate from the main lobby. Contemporary if you can afford it gives you the best bang for your buck because you most likely will have a room in the same building or can use the BLT over pass.

Grand Floridian still gives you convenience babywise because you can monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. I've also heard it is a quieter resort except during fireworks time.

I hadn't thought about the rooms in the same building at Contemporary. Hmmmm...you have given me something to think about here. We have never stayed there b/c its not our favorite look. Of course, I haven't seen inside a room in ages so maybe I have to reassess. GF is nice and quiet. That is one of the things we like about it. But I can't imagine Contemporary is too noisy. Thanks!

Upvote 0

smk

I like the Poly, the monorail to the TTC and a short walk to the resort. The beach to the watch the fireworks, esp. if you get a room on the beach so even if your cute little mouse is asleep you could watch from the outside the room and still be right there by him.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

The first time we stayed at the CR, my kids were 3 and 5. We stayed in the garden wing so it was a short walk to the lobby. For subsequent visits, we stayed in the tower.....we all loved it. There is nothing like watching the fireworks from your balcony. The look is "contemporary" but I like it and I love opening my door and hearing the monorail buzz by. The rooms themselves are remarkably quiet....I never heard the monorail or the noise from Chef Mickey once my door was closed. We have eaten at The Wave several times and I think that it is one of Disney's best kept secrets.....every meal we had was delicious. The pool is very nice with a snack bar....I think the pool was just refurbished I think. The Contempo Cafe is the QS restaurant.....quick and spacious for breakfast before the park. I can't speck for the GF, but the QS (Roaring Forks) at the WL is small and very slow. Just getting breakfast in the morning was stressful and then it was impossible to find a table. Again....just my opinion.....Good luck with your decision. By the way....Colin is adorable! :cat:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevehousse

Ur kid is adorable and that outfit is to die for! :) Our little princess arrives in Oct, and we r getting a Minnie Mouse version of what u have from Etsy I believe???

Personally having already taken both my boys for their first trips around the age of 1, definitely go with a monorail resort if u can afford it! You can take the monorail to 2 parks without having to fold the stroller and do the stroller, baby bag, and baby shuffle on the bus! It's a pain...

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I like the Poly, the monorail to the TTC and a short walk to the resort. The beach to the watch the fireworks, esp. if you get a room on the beach so even if your cute little mouse is asleep you could watch from the outside the room and still be right there by him.

Thanks! We have always been influenced by some opinions that the Poly seems to need a refurb/update. Do you find this to be true? How are the rooms?

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Ur kid is adorable and that outfit is to die for! :) Our little princess arrives in Oct, and we r getting a Minnie Mouse version of what u have from Etsy I believe???

Personally having already taken both my boys for their first trips around the age of 1, definitely go with a monorail resort if u can afford it! You can take the monorail to 2 parks without having to fold the stroller and do the stroller, baby bag, and baby shuffle on the bus! It's a pain...

Yes, from Etsy! :) We got it as a gift at a baby shower but I had pinned it to buy it too! I had to do this! He will be so annoyed when it comes out for his graduation from high school poster but hey, that's why we take these pics right!? :) hee hee

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
The first time we stayed at the CR, my kids were 3 and 5. We stayed in the garden wing so it was a short walk to the lobby. For subsequent visits, we stayed in the tower.....we all loved it. There is nothing like watching the fireworks from your balcony. The look is "contemporary" but I like it and I love opening my door and hearing the monorail buzz by. The rooms themselves are remarkably quiet....I never heard the monorail or the noise from Chef Mickey once my door was closed. We have eaten at The Wave several times and I think that it is one of Disney's best kept secrets.....every meal we had was delicious. The pool is very nice with a snack bar....I think the pool was just refurbished I think. The Contempo Cafe is the QS restaurant.....quick and spacious for breakfast before the park. I can't speck for the GF, but the QS (Roaring Forks) at the WL is small and very slow. Just getting breakfast in the morning was stressful and then it was impossible to find a table. Again....just my opinion.....Good luck with your decision. By the way....Colin is adorable! :cat:

Thanks!! Can you request the tower or is that something you book, like booking "garden or water view"? I would love to try something new and since we were hoping for 1st bday smash cake to be done at Chef Mickey, that would make sense to stay there. Plus, love monorail resorts. We have only stayed at WL and GF for MK resorts. And for that price, I get nervous picking a new place b/c I want to make sure to like it. But then I miss out on new experiences that I could love more so I struggle with this decision. Thank you so much for your help! :)

PS - do you know if you have to break the stroller down for WL? WL is my DH's first choice.

Upvote 0

Mr Toad

Do yourself a favor and stay at a monorail resort. Others have wisely pointed out that on a monorail resort, the baby doesn't have to be taken out of the stroller to board a bus. I just did that this past week at YC when we went to MK (Epcot was easy tho). Have fun!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Do yourself a favor and stay at a monorail resort. Others have wisely pointed out that on a monorail resort, the baby doesn't have to be taken out of the stroller to board a bus. I just did that this past week at YC when we went to MK (Epcot was easy tho). Have fun!

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
i just looked at the pics of the Contemporary Resort and they look like regular hotel rooms. Nothing really "disney". That's not a bad thing but just an observation. And the Poly said it was under construction "through" 2015 so to avoid the construction we took that off the list. DH still needs to confirm if MK Ferry from WL to MK makes you take down the stroller. He still thinks that might be a good option. I am leaning towards GF or trying Contemporary (more towards GF though).

Upvote 0

totaldisneygirl

I definitely agree with staying at a monorail resort. Especially with a little one, it's a lot easier to get around getting on and off a monorail. Like others, I prefer the contemporary! It also may be cute since Chef Mickey's is there which is always a fun Character dining experience but I do understand the significance the GF has for you all. If you want to save some money, the Wilderness Lodge is great too! You can also get around to MK and such through boats which I also believe is easier than getting on and off busses and waiting for them and so on. It's also really nicely themed and they have cute activities for kids from what I can remember. As your child gets older, it gets easier to experience and try different resorts with different themes and he'll appreciate it a lot more. I cannot wait to hear about how your trip goes and what decision you all make!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

Tower rooms are of course more expensive......MK view more expensive than pool view. When you book your room, you just request which you want. The WL is lovely and transportation to the MK is a boat ride or bus. When you walk down to the boat dock, the boat to your right will take you to the CR and Fort Wilderness and the boat on the left will take you to the MK. Sometimes it's one of those big white boats and sometimes it's the small boat. I know that you are required to fold you stroller on the small boat....not sure about the big boat. If you do decide to stay at the WL, be sure to request a king or 2 queen room. If you get a room with bunks, you will find it quite crowded and there will be no room for a crib. When we went in September, I requested 1. a room overlooking the lobby, 2. a pool view and 3. a king. I think they try to fill requests according to how they are listed because I got a room overlooking the lobby, pool view but it was a bunk bed room.... bunks and 1 queen bed....not the perfect thing for 2 adults with no children. They will try to honor requests but the are never guaranteed. :cat:

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

We took our 17 mo DGS in March and stayed Savanna view at AKL. We made trips back to thecresort in the afternoon withiut a problem. The staff was very helpful, even going the extra mile to help entertain him during meals. He loved seeing the animals every morning, in the afternoon before and after nap, and again in the evening. Boma's was amazing, and the CS was perfect for a quick toddler meal.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom