Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

janiak1285

So how do they get the Teflon to stick to the fabric? o_O

Through multiple chemical baths which includes the PTFE and other chemicals. I don't know the exact science behind it, not a chemical engineer, but the company I work for manufactures this material, possible the stuff being used.

janiak1285

here's more on the fabric
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)

The apparent manufacture: http://www.birdair.com/projects/planet-hollywood-observatory

As found out via their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Birdair/

=)

Looks like they make the final product but not the woven PTFE coated fiberglass material itself, still pretty cool. Here is some more info on what exactly PTFE fabric is for eveyone's knowledge. Again this is a widely used practice for exterior finishes.

http://www.birdair.com/tensile-architecture/membrane/ptfe-fiberglass

roj2323

Original Poster

Stopped by today and while I didn't take any pictures (sorry) I did notice a few things. One the white stucco is now more of a cream / sandstone color, The scaffold is gone around the entrance entirely and there's now a complex roof structure over the outside seating area off the back of the observatory. There's still only two panels of the PTFE fabric hung but I have a feeling we will see another two go up on the back of the building soon as there's no holes to cut for vents in those two. As for the inside there's now a great view of that from the entrance and it is still all rough framing. (note: they gutted it completely) They appear to be installing electrical and plumbing frown that I could tell.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, Sept 11. To supplement @roj2323's commentary above, here are the photos.

IMG_8323.JPG

IMG_8322.JPG

IMG_8321.JPG

bhg469

Through multiple chemical baths which includes the PTFE and other chemicals. I don't know the exact science behind it, not a chemical engineer, but the company I work for manufactures this material, possible the stuff being used.
My wife worked for a company that did a coating that They applied to metals for certain high temp or high pressure uses. Example being blow mold that makes coca cola bottles. They line the inside of it for longevity of the mold. They also coated some engine parts. When she described it I always called it an industrial Teflon but it was what they called diamond like coating.

They applied it in a reactor that injected a mix of chemicals under heat and pressure and it adhered to the material. It was a similar process that coats lenses for anti glare coatings.

It was all pretty neat to me. obviously the fabric isn't made this way nor is it the same material but it just though it was cool to find out how they get stuff that nothing can stick to, applied to metal.

hpyhnt 1000

@danlb_2000 , why do I imagine the entire time you're walking around the Springs that you have permit expiration dates running through your head as you look at projects under construction?

Better yet, he should print them out, put them in a binder or folder of some sort, get a high-visibility jacket, and just let himself into the construction sites. Then take some pictures to "verify" things are up to "code." ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@danlb_2000 , why do I imagine the entire time you're walking around the Springs that you have permit expiration dates running through your head as you look at projects under construction?

Yeah every time I see a piece of construction I wonder if I have seen a permit for it. I think I have tajen more pictures of things under construction then any thing else. It was very strange try to get a good picture of the nothingness at the end of Pixar placr.

hokielutz

Fabric coating for the roof of the dome??? :cautious:
How will it hold up to the extreme weather conditions and how long will it last before replacement becomes necessary??
Is it easier/cheaper to replace the fabric than to re-paint the roof? I thought the roof was going to be assembled with these large panels put into place.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Fabric coating for the roof of the dome??? :cautious:
How will it hold up to the extreme weather conditions and how long will it last before replacement becomes necessary??
Is it easier/cheaper to replace the fabric than to re-paint the roof? I thought the roof was going to be assembled with these large panels put into place.

Pay attention to the discusion, its fabric impregnated with Teflon.
https://www.gltproducts.com/products/teflon-fiberglass-cloth-style-657-20049

hokielutz

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom