Plane, Train, or Automobile?

dae_woods

How Are You Gonna Get To WDW???

Now that we all know when everyone's next trip is...now we need to know by what means you are getting there.

My brother and I are going to drive all 15 hours from Indy because airlines are just too much for us. How bout you?:hammer:

JMishy

We're thinking about driving again. We live on the border of Maine and New Hampshire, so that's one loooong ride (mapquest says 23 hours, but it takes a little longer). However, we're used to long car rides. I've driven back and forth from Arkansas a couple of times (took 3 days) and we've done Florida once alreay. I think the longest road trip I took was to the far end of Kansas.

I don't mind the trips, it's fun seeing all the different states! I especially love watching the snow fade away into lush greenery and palm trees. The ride home stinks though.. :hurl:

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

Originally posted by tigsmom
The drive is part of the vacation. :wave:

Amen to that. My dad always made sure we hit the Civil War sites on our Trips to Virginia Beach. We will be driving down from Cincy over Thanksgiving week this year and plan on taking in some sites along the way. We will move the bench seat up in the van and take out the bucket seats so the kids will have a common area between them. We will have the portable DVD player and enough music for 10 such trips.

I like the idea of driving. Having our van and the room will not give me any headaches on storing souvenirs purchased at the parks.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by JBSLJames

I like the idea of driving. Having our van and the room will not give me any headaches on storing souvenirs purchased at the parks.

You haven't made this trip lately, have you? :wave:

One 8 passenger van,
Four people: 2 adults, one 15 y/o & 1 9y/o.
2 portable CD players & various folders filled with cds, one laptop and every DVD they could sneak in. 2 backpacks loaded with "stuff I need!". 2 large suitcases and one "grab bag" for the overnight stay. Small cooler for lunch & drinks. Medium tote with snacks. 2 pillows & afghans (cause they "gotta be comfortable").

No room for sand let alone souvenirs.

Did I mention the sand & boogie boards? They were picked up along the way when we spent a few days at the beach. The valet at the WL wanted to know if we stopped at the beach first? :rolleyes:

Have Fun! :D

Upvote 0

dae_woods

Original Poster
I totally agree that the drive is part of the trip. However, I might have other opinions on that if I lived in Oregon or Maine. That drive is part of the trip but a lot less enjoyable. lol:hammer:

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Flying here. Probably taking Frontier airlines. Not a bad airline. They have those in seat entertainment consoles that really help to pass the time.

Upvote 0
I am going to start the 21 hour drive from boston tonight. Oh did they say somthing about snow tonight??/?? well atleast no one will be on the road:lookaroun I just did it a few weeks back to daytona 18.5 hours no stops only for fuel. this time there will be stops. Dont mind driving do it for a living plus with being on vaca. for almost 3 weeks it is worth having our own truck.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Originally posted by mikedvcmember
I am going to start the 21 hour drive from boston tonight. Oh did they say somthing about snow tonight??/?? well atleast no one will be on the road:lookaroun I just did it a few weeks back to daytona 18.5 hours no stops only for fuel. this time there will be stops. Dont mind driving do it for a living plus with being on vaca. for almost 3 weeks it is worth having our own truck.
21 hours is good going! Took me about that long to go Boston to Atlanta. Icluded a couple of stops, but nothing too long.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by mikedvcmember

You must have missed all of the rush hour traffic at every major city you passed thru. (and no construction of 95).

My dad drove a truck for over 45 years...do you make "rest stops"? (i swear he never did. :zipit: )

Upvote 0
nope just stopped for fuel. 3 times. left at 1100 pm home so yes i did miss all the rush hour traffic. Dont think it is going to be as good going tonight might have to hold off till the am to get going not worth getting it trouble just to beat the rush down. We have ressies at the bwv for saturday but wanted to go check out vero beach before that... so we will see what happens you know how new england weather can be.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Well is been snowing here since about 10:30 am. I'm 45 miles north of NYC and the storm is coming up from the south. Not too much yet, but they say about 2"/hr till about 7pm. Then sleet & then snow.

Upvote 0

njchris65

I've taken the train the last 2 years and I'm taking it again this year. I get a sleeper car because of the privacy (and our own toilet!). Coach you'd sit the whole time and have to share a bathroom with everyone. Ieewww.

It's VERY relaxing for me. I sleep there during the night and have meals in their dining car (free with sleeper ticket) And when I get to Orlando, Hertz is waiting there to give me a car.

The way back I can relax for a day on the train - it's like a day to relax before going back to work. It's not as fun to come back from a vacation and the next day back to work. YUCK. :)

I'll probably go back to the plane sometimes, but the train ride, for me, is a lot of fun and VERY relaxing.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Originally posted by njchris65
I've taken the train the last 2 years and I'm taking it again this year. I get a sleeper car because of the privacy (and our own toilet!). Coach you'd sit the whole time and have to share a bathroom with everyone. Ieewww.

It's VERY relaxing for me. I sleep there during the night and have meals in their dining car (free with sleeper ticket) And when I get to Orlando, Hertz is waiting there to give me a car.

The way back I can relax for a day on the train - it's like a day to relax before going back to work. It's not as fun to come back from a vacation and the next day back to work. YUCK. :)

I'll probably go back to the plane sometimes, but the train ride, for me, is a lot of fun and VERY relaxing.
In the UK train fares are getting stupidly expensive. Out of curiosity, what is the price difference for you between flying and taking the train?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We just priced this out the other day. Its almost the same for the four of us as flying & we have to travel 2 hrs North or about 1 1/2 hours South to catch the train. We have an airport only a half hour away from us. (no direct flights to Orlando International, though).

Upvote 0

polyman 65

For us its 1102 miles to WDW,Usually we fly but lately we go twice a year so we have to drive one trip.It takes about 19 hours nonstop to get there,only stop for gas and drive thru food.We rent a van and have a tv for the kids to watch.Its not a bad drive once you get out of Illinois,last year I got a speeding ticket in Tenn $130.00 ouch will be taking it slower in Tenn this year.:lol:

Upvote 0

njchris65

Originally posted by barnum42
In the UK train fares are getting stupidly expensive. Out of curiosity, what is the price difference for you between flying and taking the train?

Train is about 750 round trip (NJ to Orlando) for 2 with sleeper and the plane would have been between 475-525 depending upon time of day.

Upvote 0

Pippa

Originally posted by barnum42

Don't talk to me about train fares, its around £20 to get from Eastbourne to London, I could fly to Spain for that!

Anyhow when it comes to WDW its plane for us Brits. I like Virgin Atlantic, Premium Economy cabin. Can't quite afford Upper Class yet!

Upvote 0

barnum42

Originally posted by Pippa
Don't talk to me about train fares, its around £20 to get from Eastbourne to London, I could fly to Spain for that!

Anyhow when it comes to WDW its plane for us Brits. I like Virgin Atlantic, Premium Economy cabin. Can't quite afford Upper Class yet!
I can only afford no-class. I've flown Virgin loads of times to Boston, but not to Orlando.
Still, the advantage of going naff charter is that I can afford to go again in a smidge over five weeks :sohappy:

Upvote 0

dae_woods

Original Poster
I personally can't wait for the drive. I never get to talk to my brother anymore since he is out of college and working and I am away at college. This 15 hour drive is almost mandatory time where you can do nothing but talk to each other, so this will be a great time to catch up on things. Can't wait!:hammer:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom