Plan to Roll Out Electronic Version of DAS at WDW?

Section106

It didn't take those who are eligible for this pass but about a year to run the current DAS system into the ground just like they did the GAC. I give the new electronic system 6 months before they figure out how to manipulate it to their advantage.

But the manipulation required stealing the rubber stamps, forging CM signatures, obtaing multiple DAS cards when one is enough, etc.... It requires people of very little scruples. What kind of person can use their child's disability to cheat? The proposed changes seem pretty manipulation proof to me.

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
What kind of person can use their child's disability to cheat?
More importantly, what kind of parent would label their child as disabled when the disability is minor in nature and can be overcome with therapy allowing that child to lead a normal and fulfilling life?

The proposed changes seem pretty manipulation proof to me.
All a family has to do is split up and say that a child in each party has ADHD or some other lesser sensory disorder and presto the parasitic family has two MBs with DAS affording these miscreants unlimited FOTL FastPasses.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But the manipulation required stealing the rubber stamps, forging CM signatures, obtaing multiple DAS cards when one is enough, etc.... It requires people of very little scruples.

You don't steal anything. You simply get more than one DAS card in your party and hence you negate the waiting by having your returns interleaved. The people abusing it clearly know what they are doing... just like they did when they abused the GAC.

A future system will be abused by people simply lying to get access - and there is nothing Disney can do to stop it, only discourage it. But the more they discourage it, the more upset those in actual need lose.

Lucky

If someone really has a special needs child, I wonder why they'd spend so much time and energy attacking other families with special needs children on here, instead of helping out more with their own.

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
If someone really has a special needs child, I wonder why they'd spend so much time and energy attacking other families with special needs children on here, instead of helping out more with their own.

Because one of the unintended consequence of the DAS was that in order to exclude the cheaters, Disney actually included them while specifically excluding the people who they originally meant to help. It is only a matter of time before Disney realizes that they made a "deal with the devil" and will redeem themselves by giving this pass back to those it was originally intended.

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
Oh, and what will really blow your mind is that we go in the off-season and don't even use the pass!! I just don't like to see others who really need this pass get screwed by the ones who abused the original pass in the first place.

Section106

You don't steal anything. You simply get more than one DAS card in your party and hence you negate the waiting by having your returns interleaved. The people abusing it clearly know what they are doing... just like they did when they abused the GAC.

A future system will be abused by people simply lying to get access - and there is nothing Disney can do to stop it, only discourage it. But the more they discourage it, the more upset those in actual need lose.

The OP states that the rubber stamps have been stolen and return times forged.

It also states that now all members in the party will have to declare at the time of issuance and no ticket can be linked to more than one DAS. I don't see how anyone is going to get around that restriction as you have to scan the DAS at each attraction and all tickets in the party will have the same return time and restriction against adding other attraction return times assigned.

I agree that people will lie to get the DAS card. As Disney requires no proof other than your declaration people will lie. Disney needs to "harden the target." If it is easy to cheat then everyone will cheat. But if you have to jump through some hoops most will forgo the effort required to continue to cheat.

We need the DAS and will follow the rules as outlined by Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The OP states that the rubber stamps have been stolen and return times forged.

You said "It requires people of very little scruples.." - and highlighting the need to steal, etc. I simply pointed out that you don't need to go that far.. it's as simple as having two or more parties collaborate together.

It also states that now all members in the party will have to declare at the time of issuance and no ticket can be linked to more than one DAS

Correct - this is the change coming aimed directly at these loopholes they had from the start where there was no constraints on who could be in the 'party' with the card holder.. hence you could be in multiple 'parties'.

As Disney requires no proof other than your declaration people will lie. Disney needs to "harden the target." If it is easy to cheat then everyone will cheat. But if you have to jump through some hoops most will forgo the effort required to continue to cheat.

Disney has no conntrol over the qualifications... the only thing they can do is make the system seem less attractive to abuse. That means make it more annoying to abuse, or reduce the benefit gained by abusing it. Unfortunately both paths hurt the people it's actually intended to serve.

That's the position the law.. and the unscrupulous people that we share the earth with put Disney in.

arko

You said "It requires people of very little scruples.." - and highlighting the need to steal, etc. I simply pointed out that you don't need to go that far.. it's as simple as having two or more parties collaborate together.

Correct - this is the change coming aimed directly at these loopholes they had from the start where there was no constraints on who could be in the 'party' with the card holder.. hence you could be in multiple 'parties'.

Disney has no conntrol over the qualifications... the only thing they can do is make the system seem less attractive to abuse. That means make it more annoying to abuse, or reduce the benefit gained by abusing it. Unfortunately both paths hurt the people it's actually intended to serve.

That's the position the law.. and the unscrupulous people that we share the earth with put Disney in.

Yes but in Buzz's mind if your not in a wheelchair your disability can be magically cured with therapy. So everyone else using one is unscrupoulous

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Oh, and what will really blow your mind is that we go in the off-season and don't even use the pass!! I just don't like to see others who really need this pass get screwed by the ones who abused the original pass in the first place.
Or, they won't....

jmmc

As someone who has a family member with Autism, I'll add my voice to the people pointing out that in the cases we're talking about, the problem is not a person who is just extra "impatient". The spectrum is there to explain degrees of the issue, and it seems there are some that can learn to work with the problem. Some can't, and its not a matter of just not being taught properly. The problem with the condition not being completely understood, even by science, is that the vagueries of it make some think that people use it as an excuse for bad parenting, etc. Hey, maybe that happens with some people, but we're not talking about them.

But what is really aggravating about all of this is that if we didn't have people abusing the system or deciding, "I pay enough, I'm not standing in line on top of it." The reason Disney feels the need to change it is people who really don't need it committing outright fraud. I don't think Disney decided that too many people were cutting the line, and wanted to say someone has to be REALLY disabled. How does a company balance out stopping fraud and making sure the place is accessible to everyone? It's a problem, especially when some whiny jackasses can't help but see someone cut ahead and and think, "Hey! Why can't I do that? Why are they special?"

But again, it really all goes back to the outright frauds who somehow think it's all right to lie about a disability because THEY haven't learned patience. THOSE are the people whose parents couldn't raise them right. It all goes back to our days in school when a few kids made trouble in class and everyone else had to pay for it.

MagicHappens1971

Im confused, can you still get the DAC for people with Arthritis and such? Because my mom has a bunch of diseases that have to do with her joints and she can't walk alot/stand in line.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hopefully this will make it easier on families using the DAS. If I remember correctly from the original complaint, part of the issue was having to visit Guest Services repeatedly at each of the parks, along with privacy issues related to disclosure of a disability to other guests.

The judge's mention of costs associated with the purchase of park tickets and DVC memberships in the dismissal ruling for the class action filing leads me to believe that some of the original complainants were looking for more than a return to the old GAC system, as stated by the attorney, but also compensation for monetary damages.

If the story about DL is accurate, shame on those stealing stamps and forging return times. This behavior is what caused Disney to abandon the GAC in favor of the DAS in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom