Plan to Roll Out Electronic Version of DAS at WDW?

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
How does this compare to what other amusement parks do. Like Six Flags

The other parks still acknowledge the "traditionally disabled" (i.e. people in wheelchairs; the elderly; the blind, etc...) when providing these type handicapped passes.

Do the other parks even acknowledge those with sensory disorders or do they feel that many of these people (not all) could benefit from learning to be patient by waiting in the queues? After all, the sensory challenged will eventually have to move out of their parent's homes and be on their own and being patient and waiting in lines is part of life.

Gomer

The other parks still acknowledge the "traditionally disabled" (i.e. people in wheelchairs; the elderly; the blind, etc...) when providing these type handicapped passes.

Do the other parks even acknowledge those with sensory disorders or do they feel that many of these people (not all) could benefit from learning to be patient by waiting in the queues? After all, the sensory challenged will eventually have to move out of their parent's homes and be on their own and being patient and waiting in lines is part of life.
Please go read one of the other 5 threads where this has been extensively discussed instead of trolling this thread for attention. It’s clear you either need to be educated on the subject extensively or are just bored and desperate for a fight.

arko

At least with DAS abuse, you don't have everyone and their mother using a card for unlimited Fastpass access, and riding attractions that have a long wait over and over. Still, great news, anything to stop the entitled, cheating large portion of Disney park guests is fine by me.

Actually that is exactly how they were using it. Getting multiple per family and in many cases forging return times.

stevebwv

In many cases this simply doesn't work. With all the stimulation available in the parks, "sitting in a room" isn't realistic for many autistic people. I do think the DAS card is more than reasonable, I just want them to digitize it. Put it on the smartphones and put it on the kiosks.
Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression queues were not viable for most autistic people because of sensory overload without the ability to escape. Would not a dedicated where the individual could dictate their own sensory input solve most issues?

As for the abuse, it is always sad to see the greed of some harm those needing special considerations. I had believed this abuse was often excused using the exorbitant cost of the entry ticket but considering DL is dominated by AP's perhaps it is simple greed and callousness.

arko

Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression queues were not viable for most autistic people because of sensory overload without the ability to escape. Would not a dedicated where the individual could dictate their own sensory input solve most issues?

As for the abuse, it is always sad to see the greed of some harm those needing special considerations. I had believed this abuse was often excused using the exorbitant cost of the entry ticket but considering DL is dominated by AP's perhaps it is simple greed and callousness.
for some sitting down in a room would be fine, others would have issues because they can't understand why they are there but not going on the ride, the return time helps there when dad or mom dashes off from the party to get the time without the child knowing, that way they can just walk up without there being a perceived wait.

TP2000

I don't think it will because this does not address the FOTL FastPass that the GAC afforded these people and what they are suing Disney over. However, what will affect the lawsuit is that the federal court has ordered the families to file separate lawsuits as opposed to a class action-type lawsuit. I wonder if this attorney is regretting filing now because I could not imagine the workload this will create for them. :)

Families in Disney's Disability Access lawsuit must file separately
Leah Zanolla | Posted: Oct 31, 2014 | Updated: Oct 31, 2014 - 11:52:46 AM The federal court in Florida has ordered each of the families suing Disney over DAS to file separate lawsuits.

More so than Disneyland's electronic version of DAS being rolled out this month, this news about the federal judge ordering all the families to file separately is the bigger story here.

That has the appearance that it's going to squash this court case quickly. And I bet the lawyer and all the families are furious.

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
Please go read one of the other 5 threads where this has been extensively discussed instead of trolling this thread for attention. It’s clear you either need to be educated on the subject extensively or are just bored and desperate for a fight.

Believe me, I do not need to be educated on this subject because I live it 24/7 as I am one of the few who have a “truly disabled” child. I started this thread to emphasize the fact that the DAS is being abused by the same people who exploited the GAC to the point that Disney took all handicapped privileges away from those who it was originally intended and needed it the most.

I want you to take the time to look at these pictures and tell me which group of people Disney had in mind when they initiated these special passes? And, I don’t want any of this BS that “the lines are all wheelchair accessible now” because that was not the sole reason Disney issued these privileges to these people. Disney knew that the physically impaired lacked endurance and needed to get in and out of the parks quickly and this was the best way to do it.

Walt would roll over in his grave if he knew that Disney only afforded this special pass to a group of people who are perfectly physically healthy and a majority could actually use Disney and all of its many variables as an effective learning tool to help them overcome their sensory deficiencies and become productive members of society.

Gomer

Believe me, I do not need to be educated on this subject because I live it 24/7 as I am one of the few who have a “truly disabled” child. I started this thread to emphasize the fact that the DAS is being abused by the same people who exploited the GAC to the point that Disney took all handicapped privileges away from those who it was originally intended and needed it the most.

I want you to take the time to look at these pictures and tell me which group of people Disney had in mind when they initiated these special passes? And, I don’t want any of this BS that “the lines are all wheelchair accessible now” because that was not the sole reason Disney issued these privileges to these people. Disney knew that the physically impaired lacked endurance and needed to get in and out of the parks quickly and this was the best way to do it.

Walt would roll over in his grave if he knew that Disney only afforded this special pass to a group of people who are perfectly physically healthy and a majority could actually use Disney and all of its many variables as an effective learning tool to help them overcome their sensory deficiencies and become productive members of society.
You know, there was someone in a previous version of this thread who liked to spew the same hateful, ignorant, rhetoric that you are throwing out. "Only my disability matters". "Everyone else is just stealing resources form me". "Autism is a scam perpetrated by lazy parents". I believe he got banned for trolling threads this way.

I find it interesting that you joined yesterday just to try and bait people by insulting their loved ones and the difficult lives they lead. Even sadder if you truly have a loved one with a disability, as I would hope that people with disabilities would stick together. Our lives are hard enough as it is. People who don't understand our daily plights look at us with disdain. Turning on each other will not help anything.

I truly hope you are just a troll. It's easier for me to think that. If you actually have a family member with a severe disability and still get your jollies by insulting others in the same situation, then my faith in humanity has lessened a bit today.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Think of it like dangling a carrot. If you bring an autistic person to an attraction they want to experience that attraction immediately and if they don't there's a major risk of meltdown. Sitting in a room dedicated for that attraction isn't much better than waiting in that line.

One of the components of the DAS that I'm thankful for is that it doesn't require the disabled guest to check in at the attraction, just a member of their party. This is where smart phone or kiosk integration would be even more favorable.

BroganMc

I'm confused. Does this mean to get a DAS return time, you need to visit a FP+ kiosk now? Or can it be done with the MDE app? Also, I thought DisneyLand wasn't using Magic Bands yet. That's only in WDW.

Just to be clear, not only autistic people are using DAS. It actually covers a lot of disabilities that make waiting in lines untenable.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
More so than Disneyland's electronic version of DAS being rolled out this month, this news about the federal judge ordering all the families to file separately is the bigger story here.

That has the appearance that it's going to squash this court case quickly. And I bet the lawyer and all the families are furious.

The barrister is fuming because now instead of a juicy class action where he will collect millions and the families will get some token accomodation is now kaput, Now he needs to file individual suits which will likely get tossed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know, there was someone in a previous version of this thread who liked to spew the same hateful, ignorant, rhetoric that you are throwing out. "Only my disability matters". "Everyone else is just stealing resources form me". "Autism is a scam perpetrated by lazy parents". I believe he got banned for trolling threads this way.

I find it interesting that you joined yesterday just to try and bait people by insulting their loved ones and the difficult lives they lead. Even sadder if you truly have a loved one with a disability, as I would hope that people with disabilities would stick together. Our lives are hard enough as it is. People who don't understand our daily plights look at us with disdain. Turning on each other will not help anything.

I truly hope you are just a troll. It's easier for me to think that. If you actually have a family member with a severe disability and still get your jollies by insulting others in the same situation, then my faith in humanity has lessened a bit today.

Agree with all the above points unfortunately "Autism" is the trendy disorder today, so lots of people are trying to get their kids 'coded' so they can get on the govt gravy train, Unfortunately this takes away from the kids who are much further down the spectrum for whom independent living is not possible because the resource pool is finite.

Gomer

Agree with all the above points unfortunately "Autism" is the trendy disorder today, so lots of people are trying to get their kids 'coded' so they can get on the govt gravy train, Unfortunately this takes away from the kids who are much further down the spectrum for whom independent living is not possible because the resource pool is finite.
Respectfully have to disagree there. My son was diagnosed 8 years ago and all I've ever gotten out of the government was a 200 check to help buy a 600 ipad for him to facilitate communication at school. 5 years later he still uses that iPad 1 (yeah, that old) even though few apps work with it anymore. Hardly the windfall people think it is.

People jump to that conclusion because autism is such a spectrum that you will frequently run across people with a diagnosis and mild symptoms that you may not notice in brief exposure. But those mild cases are sometimes fraught with even more danger than those who must be taken care of every minute of their lives. The subtle issues that keep them separate from their peers while being identified as "normal" by others cause rampant issues with depression and high suicide rates as teenagers. My son will never be mistaken for typical, so it comes with a whole separate set of issues.

This is not to say someone who can't connect socially or who has severe learning of motor control issues, but is still high functioning is in a worse situation than someone who will never be able to talk or use a toilet. Just that different places on the spectrum have different issues. All worthy and deserving of help and compassion. Unfortunately, those on the moderate side are often accused of gaming the system because people judge based on only what they can see.

Lucky

@BuzzKillington, can you tell us whether or not you are the same person who has shared these exact same views on disabilities here, under the names BufordTJustice, Preston Chatsworth, Pinkerton, Mr. Spalding, etc.?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom