Pixar's Soul

DCBaker

Premium Member

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Soul, the Pixar animated feature released on Disney+ on Christmas Day, made history on Nielsen’s weekly U.S. streaming rankings, finishing No. 1 for the week of December 21 to 27.”

Most minutes watched for that week and the year.

And this is with D+ having a third the number of subs as Netflix.

Animaniac93-98

Soul, the Pixar animated feature released on Disney+ on Christmas Day, made history on Nielsen’s weekly U.S. streaming rankings, finishing No. 1 for the week of December 21 to 27.”

I'm sure not making it a Premier Access title helped.

rylouisbo

I was trying to figure out why soul didn’t feel like a Disney movie or kids film.

I think it is was because the main character was an adult. Was there a reason Disney chose to use an adult as the main character?

Sharon&Susan

I was trying to figure out why soul didn’t feel like a Disney movie or kids film.

I think it is was because the main character was an adult. Was there a reason Disney chose to use an adult as the main character?
Majority of Pixar protagonists are adults (or act like adults). Out of the 23 movies Pixar has made Coco, Onward, and Brave have clear cut "children" (under the age of 21) protagonists. And two of those are teenagers.

Soul's story demands that the main character is experienced with earth and has a goal in contrast with Twenty Two. It'd be a completely different story with someone much younger than Joe.

rylouisbo

Majority of Pixar protagonists are adults (or act like adults). Out of the 23 movies Pixar has made Coco, Onward, and Brave have clear cut "children" (under the age of 21) protagonists. And two of those are teenagers.

Soul's story demands that the main character is experienced with earth and has a goal in contrast with Twenty Two. It'd be a completely different story with someone much younger than Joe.
Naw, toy story films are clearly child focused. 11 of the films are not human lead characters, which is a child focused concept typically. The incredibles is a family which includes children in the lead roles, likewise up has child in lead role. Inside out is the brain of a child.

There’s one movie that is human characters and no child lead characters for kids to relate to...

obviously the story would be different with someone younger than joe. That’s my point, the film doesn’t work as a Pixar film for me. It was good movie I just don’t see it as a kids Pixar film.

Sharon&Susan

Naw, toy story films are clearly child focused. 11 of the films are not human lead characters, which is a child focused concept typically. The incredibles is a family which includes children in the lead roles, likewise up has child in lead role. Inside out is the brain of a child.

There’s one movie that is human characters and no child lead characters for kids to relate to...

obviously the story would be different with someone younger than joe. That’s my point, the film doesn’t work as a Pixar film for me. It was good movie I just don’t see it as a kids Pixar film.
Soul has Twenty Two who is coded to be a child and her character development focuses on her not being able to find a passion while everyone's trying to push her towards one. More relatable to children than a lot of animated movie lessons.

Also a good amount of the movie is a body switch story with a cute talking cat, can't think of any more kid friendly than that!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Soul has been nominated for Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media at the Grammys.

Also...

Best Improvised Jazz Solo

3. BIGGER THAN US
Jon Batiste, soloist
Track from: Soul (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Various Artists)

Best Jazz Instrumental Album
1. JAZZ SELECTIONS: MUSIC FROM AND INSPIRED BY SOUL
Jon Batiste

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom