Pixar wants monster's share of movie profits

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Pixar wants monster's share of movie profits
By Claudia Eller and Richard Verrier
November 3, 2002

LOS ANGELES -- The banter was friendly, the mood jovial as Walt Disney Co. chief Michael Eisner and his guest, Pixar Animation Studios head Steve Jobs, sat side-by-side to watch Game 5 of the World Series from a luxury box at Pac Bell Park in San Francisco. For the moment, it seemed, both men were on the same team.

Behind the light-hearted atmosphere, away from the playing field, the two industry titans are locked in their own kind of Hollywood gamesmanship with hundreds of millions of dollars riding on the outcome.

During the past decade, Disney and Pixar have forged one of the movie industry's most successful partnerships. They have made a string of revolutionary computer animated hits -- Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life and most recently Monsters, Inc. Three more are on the way under an agreement that gives both companies an even split of the profits.

The problem for Disney is that Pixar has gone from rookie to superstar.

With an impeccable track record and a glittering balance sheet of nearly $300 million in cash, Jobs has made it clear to Hollywood and Wall Street that he will begin entertaining offers from rival studios early next year and could potentially part ways with Disney.

If he chooses to stay with Disney, he will push for a deal that would give Pixar all the profits and only pay Disney a distribution fee to release its movies, according to sources close to Jobs.

Either way, Disney's movie earnings could take a substantial hit, underscoring just how dependent Disney Studios has become on Pixar in recent years.

Disney has reaped nearly a half-billion in profits from the Pixar movies between 1998 and 2001, accounting for an estimated 45 percent of the studio's operating income during that period, according to a recent report by Prudential Securities.

Box-office duds

During that same time, Disney's own animation unit produced such box-office disappointments as Atlantis: The Lost Empire and The Emperor's New Groove, and retrenched by slashing hundreds of jobs and salaries. It was only this summer that Disney scored a hit with Lilo & Stitch.

Disney's relationship with Pixar, which is uncertain beyond 2005, has attracted increasing scrutiny as investors grow impatient with Disney's financial struggles, particularly at its ABC Television Network and theme parks. Eisner has been under heavy pressure from powerful board members and shareholders to boost Disney's stock price, which has been pummeled during the past two years. Disney stock closed Friday at $17.03 -- up 33 cents but $8.14 off its 52-week high -- on the New York Stock Exchange.

So far, Disney and Pixar are not negotiating, prompting some analysts to question whether Eisner is moving too slowly on an arrangement that is so vital to his company.

"To lose [Pixar] would be a huge strategic blow and a financial blow for Disney," said Paul Kim, an analyst with Kaufman Bros.

Pixar's enviable success appears to give it the upper hand in negotiating any new deal. Under the current contract, Pixar produces the movies and Disney markets and distributes them. The two evenly share costs and profits. In addition, Disney gets a distribution fee that averages 12.5 percent of a movie's revenue.

The Disney cachet

Still, Pixar needs Disney, analysts say. Pixar would be hard-pressed to find another partner with the brand name, the marketing muscle and the global reach in family entertainment that has made the Burbank, Calif., studio an industry leader in animation for decades. No other studio has the marketing prowess to cross-promote family movies in its theme parks, retail stores and cable and network television outlets.

"If you go to another studio, you may not have those capabilities up and down the food chain," said Kim of Kaufman Bros.

Pixar shareholders also may be cool to the idea of breaking up such a financially successful partnership. Pixar is expected to report strong third-quarter earnings Monday. The studio's success is even outshining Jobs' main business endeavor, Apple Computer Corp., which just suffered a fourth-quarter loss of $45 million because of soured investments and a decline in shipments of its flagship Macintosh computers.

Despite Pixar's successful collaboration with Disney, their marriage has been clouded by an underlying friction that has existed for years between Eisner and Jobs, a factor that analysts suggest could complicate future negotiations. Both men declined to be interviewed.

The specter of divorce first emerged last year with a fight over the third installment of the lucrative Toy Story franchise. A clause in the contract says sequels don't count toward films Pixar must deliver, but Jobs has argued that Eisner should be flexible and let Toy Story 3 count as part of the five-picture deal. The dispute has left the project in limbo.

Tensions flared again this summer when Eisner offended Jobs over remarks he made in Washington, D.C., about digital piracy by suggesting Apple was promoting the illicit practice with its slogan: "Rip. Mix. Burn."

Although the tensions have since eased enough for Eisner to invite Jobs to the World Series, there has been no momentum on either side to negotiate a new deal, sources close to both executives say.

Posturing on both sides

Some analysts say Disney needs to step up to the plate to swat away potential competitors.

"You don't want to be in a position of countering someone else's offer," said Katherine Styponias, an analyst with Prudential Securities.

Merrill Lynch analyst Andrew Slabin said, "It's a question of who's going to blink first: Both parties feel as though they have leverage."

Jobs bought Pixar in 1986 for $10 million from director George Lucas, and is its biggest stockholder with a 60 percent stake. Disney has a minority interest, with less than 5 percent of the company's shares.

The two formed a movie-making partnership in 1991, one that has changed dramatically since then. On their first release, Toy Story, Pixar earned less than 15 percent of the profits. The 1995 hit comedy heralded its director, John Lasseter, as the next Walt Disney and established Pixar as the pioneer of the digital animation age.

Two years later, with its newly earned clout, Pixar negotiated its lucrative five-picture deal in which it became equal partners with Disney. The first film under the deal, A Bug's Life, brought in a total of $362 million worldwide, and the second, Monsters, Inc., $530 million.

Disney's profits could be greatly reduced if Jobs pursues a deal he favors, which is similar to the one Lucas has with 20th Century Fox. The filmmaker reaps all the profits from his lucrative Star Wars franchise and pays Fox an 8 percent to 10 percent distribution fee to release the movies.

Whatever happens, both sides are heavily posturing, making it known that success can also be found outside their partnership.

Eisner has sent mixed signals about whether he would be willing to allow Disney to be relegated to a distributor's role. At a Sept. 13 meeting with investors and analysts in New York, the Disney chief praised Pixar creative chief Lasseter and said that "a Lucas-type deal" was possible. On other occasions, however, Eisner has insisted that Disney would not be a studio for rent.

Suitors at the door

Eisner suggested he is prepared to develop Disney's own sequels to the Toy Story and Monsters hits if Pixar went its own way -- a scenario that even Disney executives say is improbable. Eisner has also touted Disney's recently struck deal with John Williams, one of the producers of Shrek, to make computer-animated movies, although no one is suggesting it's a replacement for Pixar.

"The intended message was 'if you think you've got us over a barrel, think again,' " Styponias said.

For his part, Jobs has already begun boasting to analysts that Pixar has many options when it comes to negotiating a future deal with another studio. Though he cannot begin negotiating with other studios until next spring, when Pixar delivers the undersea adventure Finding Nemo to Disney, he has let it be known that a number of suitors have expressed interest. Those include Sony Pictures and MGM Studios, sources said.

As Jobs pushes for a Lucas-type distribution deal, analysts caution that such an arrangement is not without risk for Pixar, since its movies cost about $125 million each to produce and an estimated $80 million to market worldwide. Just one flop could be devastating to a company like Pixar, which averages just one movie every 18 months and is not diversified like Disney.

"It's inevitable that Pixar is going to stub its toe," Slabin said.

That may be hard for Jobs to fathom, given that Pixar's four animated movies so far have totaled more than $2 billion in worldwide box-office receipts and hundreds of millions more in home video, DVD and merchandising sales.

Although the future of the partnership remains uncertain, it has not affected the day-to-day workings of the partnership. Indeed, Pixar creative guru Lasseter, a former Disney animator, has helped foster close ties between the studios' top creators.

"The working relationship has never been better," said Disney Studios Chairman Richard Cook. "We're committed to staying together."

For now, Cook said, the partners are focused on prepping their next release, Finding Nemo, due in theaters in May, and boosting sales of their recently released Monsters, Inc. DVD, which was heavily promoted during the World Series games.

In TV spots that aired between innings, Mike and Sully, the animated stars of Monsters, were featured playing baseball.

The big question is whether their corporate parents are willing to play ball as well.

GaryT977

Well, I guess this kind of thing is inevitable with two egos like Jobs and Eisner. It would be a real shame if they broke that partnership up.

TURKEY

I think Disney really needs to bite the bullet and offer something good right now. I'd start with 75/25 for Pixar and see where that leads.

Losing this partnership would really hurt the Disney movie business. It seems Pixar is here to stay and will continue to be a growing force in the animation business until the next big thing comes around.

DisneyWorldGuru

Why can't Disney form their own Pixar? I mean Disney could get animators like those at Pixar and from a CGI Animation Team. I mean they could even hire the Pixar animators away from Pixar. I think Eisner would be an idiot to let Jobs have more then 1/2 of the profits. It would tell Jobs that he can bribe Disney (which is what he is doing).

JLW11Hi

I'd have to side with Pixar on this one. They have done a lot for Disney, ever since Toy Story came out, bringing in a lot of profits. Last year, it seems that Monsters, Inc was a blessing to Disney, and with how bad they are doing movie.money wise nowadays, Disney wil probably be counting on Finding Nemo and future Pixar pictures to help Disney's financial situation. I think Pixar deserves what they worked for, at least a fair amount of their movie's profits.

What do you all think is a fair amount (percentage)?

Mabey 75/25?

DisneyWorldGuru

I would say 50/50 is good.

I mean remember Disney provides the story, the voices, the whole concept, and distribution.

Yes, Pixar does have a big part (all of the animation) but Disney did the other 50% and should get the other 50% of the profits. Or create their own version of Pixar. Disney is hurting as it is, I think if they caved into Pixar Disney would take a big hit. Then again this is just my opinion.

CAPTAIN HOOK

This is going to be an interesting fight............

Disney have struggled with their own animation since the partnership with Pixar and so I say they can't afford to lose them.
With the success of the Pixar animated films they could team of with any other studios and virtually name their price.
I think Disney needs to think long and hard before rejecting any deal which would give them more than a 30/70 split of profits.

SpongeScott

Considering the success of Pixar, should we really be surprised at this? The pros--or the cons--of a free enterprise economical system.

GaryT977

Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru
I would say 50/50 is good.

I mean remember Disney provides the story, the voices, the whole concept, and distribution.

I thought the PIXAR guys like Lassiter came up with the storys and concepts? I know Disney handles the distribution and such. Disney provides the voices as well?

DisneyWorldGuru

Well the tour I took told us that Disney comes up with all of the concept drawings and story boards. Then Pixar does the animation and Disney does the voice overs (or arranges for them {eg casting the voices})

Henning

...could it be that Disney Co. made a mistake by not buying a good amount of Pixar shares when they were still cheap. They could have a lot more influence on Pixars moves now!?!

Just a thought!?!

-Henning

jcrb

Well the tour I took told us that Disney comes up with all of the concept drawings and story boards. Then Pixar does the animation and Disney does the voice overs (or arranges for them {eg casting the voices})

If he goes with another studio - I hope he crashes and burns

pheneix

>>>I thought the PIXAR guys like Lassiter came up with the storys and concepts?<<<

They do. Disney would like others to think otherwise because the only movies with the Disney name on them that are successful anymore are those with the name "Pixar" on them too.

Disney provides distribution, suggestions, and sometimes talent for voicework, all of which Vivendi, Dreamworks, and Viacom can offer, just to name a few...

DisneyWorldGuru

I am not sure where you heard this but Disney comes up with the concept. You can even watch the special features on the Toy Story DVD and see that it is Disney. Pixar only provides the final animation used in the film, which is the biggest part of any film.

MrPromey

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>I thought the PIXAR guys like Lassiter came up with the storys and concepts?<<<

They do. Disney would like others to think otherwise because the only movies with the Disney name on them that are successful anymore are those with the name "Pixar" on them too.

Disney provides distribution, suggestions, and sometimes talent for voicework, all of which Vivendi, Dreamworks, and Viacom can offer, just to name a few...

That’s right. Lilo and Stich was a big box office flop… No wait, I’m sorry. I have that backwards. It did great but it was made by Pixar. ;)

Actually, I don’t know that Disney has ever done anything to hide the fact that they don’t actually make the movies. As a matter of fact, if you look through the special edition DVD’s it is make very clear that they are pretty much all Pixar. The Bugs Life one even has footage that Pixar put together to show Disney as an update to the progress of the film. If Disney was really making an effort to hide this kind of stuff, do you really think they would have allowed this content on a DVD they were distributing? :)

Pixar could definitely write their own ticket in Hollywood but what it really comes down to is if they really want to go for a bigger piece of a smaller pie. All of the companies you have mentioned could distribute this move but none have the ability to market it the way Disney does. Most of those other companies would like to have a success that does as well as Disney’s recent “failures” in traditional animation.

DisneyWorldGuru

We must remember that Disney is the leader animation. With the exception of films like Shrek and Road to El Dorado both made by Dreamworks SKG (which has their own CGI team) Disney has no real competition in full length animated films. Plus the Disney name helps. Pixar would have a better chance if they did everything themselves without the help of another studio.

Maybe Disney does cover it up if it is true. On the Inside animation tour they said something about Disney coming up with the concepts, story boards, voice overs, advertising, and distribution.

MrPromey

We must remember that Disney is the leader animation. With the exception of films like Shrek and Road to El Dorado both made by Dreamworks SKG (which has their own CGI team) Disney has no real competition in full length animated films. Plus the Disney name helps. Pixar would have a better chance if they did everything themselves without the help of another studio.

Maybe Disney does cover it up if it is true. On the Inside animation tour they said something about Disney coming up with the concepts, story boards, voice overs, advertising, and distribution.

Hmm… I have never heard them discus this on the tour. Was this something you heard on part of the tour or during the question and answer part with the animator or possibly at the end in the room you walk around and see the concept art in? The reason I ask is because the animators that they usually have in the first section that do the drawing of a character and then answer questions are usually new to the company. Most, haven’t even worked on a real project yet and I could easily see them inaccurately giving information. Sometimes they have someone at the end of the tour as well in that are where you can see drawings of original concepts for characters from The Little Mermaid, Toy Story and other movies and sometimes they have an animator there that talks and answers questions in a sort of informal way as well. If you ask them, they will just about always tell you that they are new (at least as an animator).

Obviously, these are people working for Disney in an official capacity speaking for Disney when they give you information and if Disney puts them out there and they say something wrong, it is Disney’s fault but I think this kind of misinformation comes more from Disney not wanting to put an animator that they pay $100,000+ plus a year out there to answer questions from tourists than it does about them intentionally propagating lies about their relationship with Pixar. You know? :)

pheneix

>>>Lilo and Stich was a big box office flop…<<<

Actually, Lilo and Stich has been considered a "dissappointment" by more than one person in Burbank.

>>>none have the ability to market it the way Disney does<<<

Marketing isn't everything. The same marketing campaigns never made Dinosaur a hit, or Atlantis, or the Country Bears.

MrPromey

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>Lilo and Stich was a big box office flop…<<<

Actually, Lilo and Stich has been considered a "dissappointment" by more than one person in Burbank.

>>>none have the ability to market it the way Disney does<<<

Marketing isn't everything. The same marketing campaigns never made Dinosaur a hit, or Atlantis, or the Country Bears.

While I would agree by and large on Dinosaur, I think it all goes down to what you consider to be a flop on the other two. Country Bears was never intended to be a box office smash. It was produced cheaply and has made enough profit for the company that they are planning on a sequel. I’m pretty sure that movie has met their expectations.

Atlantis also made a good deal of money for the company after being released abroad and on video. As a matter of fact, the revenue generated on video and DVD effectively doubled the income of the movie.

As I said in the post you responded to, most of those other companies would like to have a success that does as well as Disney’s recent “failures”. Need I mention such recent hits as “Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002)” released by the competition?

Regardless of how you personally feel about the movies ( I really, really didn’t like “The Emperor’s New Groove”) to my knowledge, Disney has not lost money of any of the recent traditionally animated ones to date. While we aren’t talking about Lion King profits we are talking about profits just the same.

I know you are a fan of “old Disney” and we could take this back to the original release of Fantasia if you want. Now there is a movie that Walt himself considered a failure – one which required a few re-releases just for them to break even on production costs.

Marketing may not be everything but if Disney’s work is to be any example, it can do a lot. The record breaking opening weekend of Monsters Inc. didn’t have all that much to do with the quality of the movie did it? People hadn’t seen it yet. It had to do with the fact that Disney had been heavily marketing the movie for over a year before the film’s release.

Lilo and Stich may not have made the top 100 all time highest grossing moves but when you consider the fact that they made it at a cost considerably lower than the average Disney Feature Animation movie (something that Disney has openly talked about), it is easy to see that the success of the movie has generated great profits for the company.

You can’t compare CG to traditional animation either. There is still an element of novelty on CG that traditional animation today lacks. You can say Disney is just loosing their touch and I might not be totally inclined to disagree with you but I have yet to see anyone come close to threatening their dominance in traditional animation. Pixar has done everything we have seen with Disney’s name on it in regards to the new animation field and I feel that traditional animation in the way that we think about it has already seen its golden day in terms of Hollywood success. It is now being eclipsed by new technology in regards to entertaining the masses. I feel that it will continue to be an art for a good long time but I think that the mass popularity of traditional animation is going to continue to decline overall – regardless of the quality of the animation or the story.

If we are going to try to be even remotely fair, I think a better judge of Disney’s abilities will have to be made after they reach the end of their 5 movie contract with Pixar. Perhaps we will get a preview with the opening of the new 3-D attraction in the MK.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom