News Pixar Place will transform into a Metroville city block at Disney's Hollywood Studios

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except this doesn't lead to SWGE
It doesn’t. You would have to connect to the backstage road first and take that back to the Toy Story Land entrance to SW:GE.

This gate is at the end of the Pixar Place walkway:
12CA51D2-7970-445E-875A-9284A0F06422.jpeg

You can see the same gate at the middle top of the picture below.
8A506562-6827-4688-9041-256FAF455566.jpeg

If they opened the gate you would walk through and hit the backstage road running perpendicular. The berm with the pine trees is elevated and cannot be easily removed so you would need to have guests coming through Pixar Place to turn right on the road and follow it to the regular Toy Story entrance to SW:GE which is right where the Toy Story bathrooms are (left side of the picture). It would be possible to use that path assuming they don’t need to access that backstage road during hours when guests are there.

DisneyDodo

It doesn’t. You would have to connect to the backstage road first and take that back to the Toy Story Land entrance to SW:GE.

This gate is at the end of the Pixar Place walkway:
View attachment 342441
You can see the same gate at the middle top of the picture below.
View attachment 342442
If they opened the gate you would walk through and hit the backstage road running perpendicular. The berm with the pine trees is elevated and cannot be easily removed so you would need to have guests coming through Pixar Place to turn right on the road and follow it to the regular Toy Story entrance to SW:GE which is right where the Toy Story bathrooms are (left side of the picture). It would be possible to use that path assuming they don’t need to access that backstage road during hours when guests are there.
Theoretically, they could build some sort of bridge from Pixar Place to SWGE that goes over the backstage road

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Theoretically, they could build some sort of bridge from Pixar Place to SWGE that goes over the backstage road
They could, but it would then connect to the berm they just built for SW:GE so they would need to uproot trees and create a path through brand new construction. That is supposed to be part of the expansion pad for SW so maybe if a 3rd ride gets added in a phase 2 for the land it could include a direct connection to Pixar Place. I don’t see it happening before then or they would have built out the area differently.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

They'll need an elevator to be ADA-compliant.

However, the backstage road is perfectly serviceable for guests to use in overflow and crowded situations once they clean up the construction equipment at the back of GMR/MMRR. Just simple gating and fencing will do so that there is a shortcut between TSL, the two SWL gates, and Pixar Place.

They can even eventually theme it. The corner of GMR/MMRR still has the city corner facade, and they could extend that to Grand Ave and put up even more trees and bushes.

As far as guests and CMs sharing backstage access routes... that happens all the time in DHS with large carts going in and out of backstage access points past the guests.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They'll need an elevator to be ADA-compliant.

However, the backstage road is perfectly serviceable for guests to use in overflow and crowded situations once they clean up the construction equipment at the back of GMR/MMRR. Just simple gating and fencing will do so that there is a shortcut between TSL, the two SWL gates, and Pixar Place.

They can even eventually theme it. The corner of GMR/MMRR still has the city corner facade, and they could extend that to Grand Ave and put up even more trees and bushes.

As far as guests and CMs sharing backstage access routes... that happens all the time in DHS with large carts going in and out of backstage access points past the guests.
I still don’t think they want to use the backstage road for guests permanently. If they wanted a direct connection between Grand Ave and TSL they could have just built the park that way. There seems to be a desire to create a circular flow to the new section of the park: Muppets/Grand Ave to SW to Toy Story back out to front of park. I could see them using Pixar Place as a temporary overflow exit to SW:GE for opening crowds when traffic will likely flow one way but I don’t think it was in the long term plans or they could/would have made a more direct route into SW:GE.

I don’t see it as lazy. It is exactly what it should be. Why spend a ton of time or money on something temporary? I don’t see why they wouldn’t keep this open into the fall when SW:GE opens.

I believe I've read somewhere that it closes Sept. 30 (with like everything else right now) so I don't think it will stay around for SWGE opening.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe I've read somewhere that it closes Sept. 30 (with like everything else right now) so I don't think it will stay around for SWGE opening.
That lines up with the theory that Pixar Place will be an overflow exit for SW:GE. I don’t think they can use it as is for an exit so it makes sense that they would shut down the Incredibles stuff and use the space to funnel people out of SW:GE without overwhelming TSL.

Ismael Flores

looks ok but they could have done more with this overlay. a few dozen intagram signs is not the best use of the place.
they could have set up the area to look like a battle scene from the movies and occasional have a small show.
i have seen more money and thought put into seasonal overlays then this

GoofGoof

Premium Member
looks ok but they could have done more with this overlay. a few dozen intagram signs is not the best use of the place.
they could have set up the area to look like a battle scene from the movies and occasional have a small show.
i have seen more money and thought put into seasonal overlays then this
The dance party is sorta like a small show. It’s not much different/better than the Toy Story army men they had there previously when it was still Pixar Place, but it’s still cute for kids and at least a good photo/video op. This is really just a seasonal overlay of a backstage area and a place to hold meet and greets. I can’t imagine anyone not traveling with little kids wanting to spend much time (if any) here. Keep in mind they did eliminate the honey I shrunk the kids playground and the backlot tour which had no height requirements and the e-ticket headliners currently open all have height restrictions (TSL helps some with this). These little “distractions” give smaller kids something to do until Great Mickey ride and SW open.

Purduevian

Could this be used as part of the line to get into Galaxy's edge for the first few weeks, so as not to disrupt the rest of the park with a huge line? Basically close the gates near toy story and open the gates into backstage and set up some switch backs. The line could go from grand avenue, up the backstage road, past MMRR, into pixar place, back down the access road, and into SWGE? We all know they will need a massive line at least in the first week, this could allow people not going to SWGE to still enjoy muppets and star tours without having to navigate an impossible line. Heck even Toy story went all the way to GMR and beyond.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Could this be used as part of the line to get into Galaxy's edge for the first few weeks, so as not to disrupt the rest of the park with a huge line? Basically close the gates near toy story and open the gates into backstage and set up some switch backs. The line could go from grand avenue, up the backstage road, past MMRR, into pixar place, back down the access road, and into SWGE? We all know they will need a massive line at least in the first week, this could allow people not going to SWGE to still enjoy muppets and star tours without having to navigate an impossible line. Heck even Toy story went all the way to GMR and beyond.

I think Grand Ave. was made in such a way to hold the queue for entering SWL. Just imagine how much switchbacking they could fit in there.

DisneyDodo

I think Grand Ave. was made in such a way to hold the queue for entering SWL. Just imagine how much switchbacking they could fit in there.
Disney should route the SWGE line through BaseLine Tap House (while closing it off to everyone else), so people on line can buy food/drinks while waiting. Disney would make a killing on the constant influx of people, and it gives guests something to munch/sip on while waiting in line. Win-win

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney should route the SWGE line through BaseLine Tap House (while closing it off to everyone else), so people on line can buy food/drinks while waiting. Disney would make a killing on the constant influx of people, and it gives guests something to munch/sip on while waiting in line. Win-win

I know you are joking, but this probably isn't far from the truth. I don't think it's a co-incidence that they updated that restaurant when they did.

YodaMan

I know you are joking, but this probably isn't far from the truth. I don't think it's a co-incidence that they updated that restaurant when they did.

Agreed. Especially with the recent decision to move the DVC kiosk, I assume the intention is to free up room on Commissary Lane and turn that all into queue space as well once Grand Av is full.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I thought I read here somewhere that there will be a one way flow of traffic into and out of SW:GE. You enter at the Grand Ave side and exit at TSL. That’s not permanent, just for peak opening crowds. Peak crowds could last a while though. I would to be surprised if they used switchbacks in Grand Ave area and possibly a line that stretches for a while back towards the front of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom