News Pixar Place will transform into a Metroville city block at Disney's Hollywood Studios

DinoInstitute

I'm shocked to be saying this, but it actually doesn't look terrible. It doesn't look good, but it could have been worse. Maybe my expectations were just so low that I'm pleasantly surprised. I still wish they would properly theme this area someday and make it another street similar to Sunset/Hollywood/Grand. Would a small attraction such as a carousel or spinner fit anywhere here?
The alley itself it way too thin to fit an attraction inside it, though theoretically there is a plot of land at the back of it that they could use for attraction (even though it’s been designated as a SWGE expansion pad).

trainplane3

I'm confused by people being outraged in this. I assumed everyone knew from the outset that this would be a very cheap, temporary overlay for a non uses area.
This.
It's a cheap and lazy overlay but it's not in your face, it's in a formerly unused corner, and it eats some people. Hopefully there'll be something there in the fall when SWGE opens. The park is going to need all the help it can get.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This.
It's a cheap and lazy overlay but it's not in your face, it's in a formerly unused corner, and it eats some people. Hopefully there'll be something there in the fall when SWGE opens. The park is going to need all the help it can get.
I don’t see it as lazy. It is exactly what it should be. Why spend a ton of time or money on something temporary? I don’t see why they wouldn’t keep this open into the fall when SW:GE opens.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This.

It's supposed to end Sep 30. Maybe it'll be replaced by a Mickey (MMRR) or Toy Story (TS4) dance party. Or, just be SWL overflow.

Marc Davis Fan

I actually think this is an example of how limitations can breed creativity and “necessity is the mother of invention.” I’m impressed with the cleverness.

Their problem was: How do you quickly and inexpensively make a basic street-looking space into a somewhat immersive environment?

The solution: Choose a standard-looking city from a popular film, which would also make sense to be hosting a street festival (thus allowing for posters/banners as decor, as well as various forms of entertainment).

Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy might be similar: They had a room with a huge wraparound screen, found a popular movie franchise that includes such a thing and also lends itself to an impressive type of animatronic...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I actually think this is an example of how limitations can breed creativity and “necessity is the mother of invention.” I’m impressed with the cleverness.

Their problem was: How do you quickly and inexpensively make a basic street-looking space into a somewhat immersive environment?

The solution: Choose a standard-looking city from a popular film, which would also make sense to be hosting a street festival (thus allowing for posters/banners as decor, as well as various forms of entertainment).

Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy might be similar: They had a room with a huge wraparound screen, found a popular movie franchise that includes such a thing and also lends itself to an impressive type of animatronic...

The impressive AA sorta betrays the cheap and easy narrative. ;)

It does, however, add to the not-so-quick narrative.

At least, we didn't get a "Pixar Courtyard" a la Pixar Pier. We dodged that bullet. The Pixar additions may not be cohesive, but at least they weren't cohesively bad at the expense of better themes.

Marc Davis Fan

Interesting that it's still Pixar Place on the map:

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 11.05.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 11.06.07 AM.png

Maybe they don't want to confuse people into thinking it's a permanent addition that they can plan to visit further in the future?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 11.05.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 11.05.10 AM.png
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 97

doctornick

Seems like a nice enough, albeit simple, addition. It makes sense to use the space for added room in the park and the M&G and merch space is already there -- why not use them. I think they should keep it around for when the crowds hit with SW:GE, but what do I know.

(Of course, I would have kept Pixar Place as a permanently on stage path and connected it to Galaxy's Edge as another thoroughfare.)

Herbie

When they shut it down it will probably go back to being backstage so they don’t really need to take anything down.

I assumed so, yes, but some have mentioned that once the alley closes, a Toy Story overlay might replace it... I understand this is just fan wishing, of course, although it is a space that could be used frequently... even though I have a feeling they will just shutter it.

Regarding potential future overlays, the markings would imply 1) its not temporary after all or 2) if it is temporary, they don't intend to update this area afterward.

Marc Davis Fan

When they shut it down it will probably go back to being backstage so they don’t really need to take anything down.

Considering how desperately DHS will need attractions as well as walking space once SWGE opens, it's hard for me to believe that they'll just close off Pixar Place again after the Municiberg overlay ends.

If I'm correct to hypothesize that they couldn't possibly be returning Pixar Place to backstage just before the huge SWGE rush, maybe they're prefabricating things in preparation for a more impressive overlay after Municiberg ends?

I am Timmy

Have you all seen that video? WOOOOO! First, I am LOVING the giant Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins, she is fabulous. Next, the CM under the Edna Mode poster is groovin' to the music at the end of the street - diggin' her style. And, the community chair hosting the shindig has enough energy for the WHOLE crowd. Adore her, and her hair!! She could totally be Elastigirls non -super twin. One thing, did I miss the Edna Mode popcorn bucket I've been waiting for? I cannot WAIT to pop off that bad girl's hair and enjoy me some popcorn for the party!!! I may have had a little too much caffeine today!!!!

jt04

Considering how desperately DHS will need attractions as well as walking space once SWGE opens, it's hard for me to believe that they'll just close off Pixar Place again after the Municiberg overlay ends.

If I'm correct to hypothesize that they couldn't possibly be returning Pixar Place to backstage just before the huge SWGE rush, maybe they're prefabricating things in preparation for a more impressive overlay after Municiberg ends?

i think it might function to exit traffic out of GE until the crowds normalize rather than sending everyone through TSL.

jt04

I didn't realize how successful this franchise is. Looked it up and it might have more potential than Cars for Pixar franchises. Has to be a candidate for a Future World application.

WiR has potential too.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The problem is it’s not much of a people eater. Meet and greets don’t have high guests per hour numbers and the dance party has limited appeal, mostly for little kids. It does provide something extra to do in a park that is half under construction. I don’t think this area does a whole lot to help eat the massive overflow crowds from SW:GE, then again neither will Toy Story Land or Grand Avenue on either end. It could provide an additional temporary exit from the land, but even that’s problematic since it’s narrow and if they open the gate at the end of the alley that connects to the backstage road which leads to the SW/Toy Story entrance/exit then you eliminate the area where the dance party is. They could still keep the meet and greet building and small gift shop but if they use it as an exit way for SW Land they can’t have things in the street blocking the flow of traffic. Basically if you keep the entertainment options you can’t use it as an exit so they will need to decide which is more important, additional entertainment or another way out of SW:GE that won’t flood Toy Story Land. I don’t think it works as both and there’s no open space in the buildings to expand into. It is what it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom