Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

Old Mouseketeer

That should be of no surprise to anyone. It's very logical. They know when the parking structure will be done and that is the date they set for a free for all. Easy.

I just wonder if they will get to do soft opening of Pixar Pals before 6/24. That would make more sense operationally. Opening it on the first day after reservations end could be a logistical nightmare for the parking CMs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wonder what is left to finish besides the tram route. I assume they can do that in three weeks.
From the videos I've seen the tram route is the primary thing left. Of course the courtyard is left to be finished as well as the bridge as Darkbeer likes to remind us. But overall, for the structure itself it seems like just the tram route. And the rest will come later this summer after the structure itself is opened.

Old Mouseketeer

I wonder what is left to finish besides the tram route. I assume they can do that in three weeks.

It's been a week since I've seen it. They have to finish a lot of cosmetic work, light fixtures and final electrical. Probably a couple of weeks of paving. It looks like the metal frames flanking the rows going into bag check and screening might be for gates, similar to the main entrance turnstyles at the parks. My guess is that they'll finish landscaping the existing plaza after Pixar Pals opens--maybe in a couple of phases. Part of it will depend on what we can't see from M&F--offices, break rooms, rest rooms, and elevators.

I still don't have a clear picture of where the new parking booths will be. There are four possibilities (and it could be some combination):
  1. Entering from Magic Way (essentially at the back of PP ground floor)
  2. At the South end of M&F currently being used for security screening and tram loading (but I'm not sure how the approach would work having to cross over the exit lanes)
  3. In the middle of M&F doubling up in the existing entrance lanes (so that two cars in each lane are paying at once)
  4. At the North end of M&F being fed from the two right lanes approaching M&F.

Old Mouseketeer

"And the company expects to open a new 6,500-space parking lot by June 23. The timing is no accident. That's when reservations for Galaxy's Edge are no longer required."

https://www.investors.com/news/will-star-wars-galaxys-edge-be-crowded-not-if-disney-can-help-it/

Interesting read. Not a lot of new detail, but some insight as to how seriously resort management is taking the prospect of unprecedented crowds. It confirms a lot of what we have inferred about Disney's moves over the past decade with respect to ticket pricing and features.

Phroobar

It's been a week since I've seen it. They have to finish a lot of cosmetic work, light fixtures and final electrical. Probably a couple of weeks of paving. It looks like the metal frames flanking the rows going into bag check and screening might be for gates, similar to the main entrance turnstyles at the parks. My guess is that they'll finish landscaping the existing plaza after Pixar Pals opens--maybe in a couple of phases. Part of it will depend on what we can't see from M&F--offices, break rooms, rest rooms, and elevators.

I still don't have a clear picture of where the new parking booths will be. There are four possibilities (and it could be some combination):
  1. Entering from Magic Way (essentially at the back of PP ground floor)
  2. At the South end of M&F currently being used for security screening and tram loading (but I'm not sure how the approach would work having to cross over the exit lanes)
  3. In the middle of M&F doubling up in the existing entrance lanes (so that two cars in each lane are paying at once)
  4. At the North end of M&F being fed from the two right lanes approaching M&F.
Thanks! Hopefully they will paint the lines in the correct direction this time. Last time they had to reverse traffic flow and repaint all the stalls.

Ismael Flores

From the videos I've seen the tram route is the primary thing left. Of course the courtyard is left to be finished as well as the bridge as Darkbeer likes to remind us. But overall, for the structure itself it seems like just the tram route. And the rest will come later this summer after the structure itself is opened.

I wonder if they will repaved the whole courtyard our just remove bricks wherever they will add the planters. I noticed that the new construction areas by the parking structure were paved with the same color bricks as the existing courtyard. Could that have been done on purpose to be able to use as much of the existing courtyard as possible? Of course they would have all the existing mismatch concrete from the original planters that they destroyed and removed for some odd reason from the unload area

oo_nrb

Thanks! Hopefully they will paint the lines in the correct direction this time. Last time they had to reverse traffic flow and repaint all the stalls.
Do any pictures/videos or diagrams exist of this "speed parking" from when M&F opened? I've searched high and wide and only found the name, not any actual imagery of how it was different.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wonder if they will repaved the whole courtyard our just remove bricks wherever they will add the planters. I noticed that the new construction areas by the parking structure were paved with the same color bricks as the existing courtyard. Could that have been done on purpose to be able to use as much of the existing courtyard as possible? Of course they would have all the existing mismatch concrete from the original planters that they destroyed and removed for some odd reason from the unload area

I assume they will just fence off a section at a time and just remove the brick from that section of the courtyard to install the new planters. That way they don't have to fence off the entire courtyard all at once. But we'll see how they do it over the next couple weeks.

Old Mouseketeer

Do any pictures/videos or diagrams exist of this "speed parking" from when M&F opened? I've searched high and wide and only found the name, not any actual imagery of how it was different.

I'm told the direction of the parking lanes went East-to-West and now it goes West-to-East, placing the entrance and exit ramps at the wrong ends. I assume it was to add some elasticity in the traffic up the ramps to avoid backing up cars into the ticket booths, but this is my inference. All I know is that it makes it hell trying to leave with new parkers stalking an open space. YMMV.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm told the direction of the parking lanes went East-to-West and now it goes West-to-East, placing the entrance and exit ramps at the wrong ends. I assume it was to add some elasticity in the traffic up the ramps to avoid backing up cars into the ticket booths, but this is my inference. All I know is that it makes it hell trying to leave with new parkers stalking an open space. YMMV.
Well isn't the new queuing system suppose to prevent that? I mean there shouldn't be anyone going up and down a lane because they should get green or red lights indicating when there is a spot open or not. The only question I have is will there be a red or green light at each ramp to indicate if there are any open spots on each level? Because that would tell a driver, hey go up to level 4 because 1-3 and 5-6 are full. So once turned on in both structures should prevent a majority of the parking stalkers (of course you'll still have some who ignore the system).

Anyways that is my take on it.

Darkbeer1

The big issue, when you park east to west (aka last space in the row first), the people get out of their car and head to the West End to use the escalators/elevators, and just walk up the row, right into the line of cars. It slowed things down A LOT.

Second, human nature says you don't want the last space, and start parking at any space near the west end, not following the CM direction.

It was just one big F... Up Mess. And Disney had to switch directions.

Now, the way the original 1955 parking lot was smartly set up. Cars would enter from the East mainly, and South. Everyone would exit in the West Side (West Drive, now named Disneyland Drive), and back to Katella and the I-5, once it opened in the 1960's.

Parking Space went in rows going North to South, with room for 2 cars per space.

They park the North West rows first, one car per row, and then park the second space a bit later, after the first set of guests left the area.

Pedestrians had two choice, head North to the Main Entrance, or Trams (not assigned pick up zones) went to the west side of the row being parked. So those guests naturally got out of the vehicle traffic. And so it went until the spaces on the south end were full, and then it was looking for empty spaces, usually in the North West end, as that is where the early guests parked, and left early.

There was a loading area for trams taking you back to your car. But no real assigned drop off zones. The Tram Driver, based on how busy it was, would decide some central areas to drop off. Usually the driver (or rear position CM) would ask for a show of hands for specific areas, such as "If you parked in Daisy or Eeyore, please raise you hands" to figure out if they needed to stop there.

Was it a bit dangerous? Yes, plenty of stupid human tricks happened, like trying to enter/exit the tram while moving, etc. No Doors or seatbelts, so the CM's had to pay attention.

But it was very efficient and a great way to maximize the use of the lot.

But Michael Eisner heard about "Speed Parking", and mandated its use, and was proud when he talked about prior to DCA opening. Well, it was one of many failures in the Eisner/Pressler years, and one that cost more than a few bucks to fix, and Disney is still paying for it, as the current system requires the use of more CM's.

Ismael Flores

I remember that they changed the direction of the parking spaces mostly because of the exit issues. Too many incidents of car rage and cars backing up.

All lanes would exit west and merge into the one north to south exit lane. People here do not know or are just to stubborn to allow merging or zipping so cars would push themselves in between cars in that north to south exit lanes.

When the updated lanes were changed all cars would now travel east and easily merge into the north to south lane on the east side with minimal to no cars and then just wrap around the structure with no more obstacles except for the pedestrian traffic

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom