Pitchforks out for Universal and Comcast.

phillip9698

Well it's all relative when comparing WDW to UOR you're basically comparing 2 of the best resorts in the world, so neither can ever be considered poor.

But I will say on my 3 previous visits to Orlando, Universal has ranked as my number 1, and I now put them firmly behind Disney. (Giving this info for context - I'm not a 'fanboy' of any resort in-particular, but I judge on merit).

My reasons;

- They've not hit it out the park since Potter.

- Several notable failures including Kong (great but not what it could have been). The Hulk rebuild (Weak story implementation, still rough) Fallon (decent laugh but stupid to build when next to so many similar experiences & Volcano Bay (Over hyped and underdelivered)

- Nagging suspicion now that they're 1 hit wonders

-lazy to keep building these rides whilst not updating their key in house IP, J-Park/World. AAs looking dated.

-the studios park is a mess. So many similar rides.

-Islands, other than Hogsmede starting to show its age badly now.

-food options

- carnival games everywhere

I'm curious as to what dropped Universal behind Disney after being your number 1 the last few visits. Your post docks Universal points for not exceeding expectations with their new attractions while Disney hasnt added much great at all in the same time frame. From most accounts here people have been disappointed in 7DMT, The Fantasy Land expansion, and NRJ. Id go so far as to say just the train that goes between Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley has better theming and immersion than what Disney has put out pre-Pandora.

Almost every single point you make as a reason to dock Universal applies to Disney two fold. A studios park which is a complete mess, an entire park which is starting to show its age, dated AA, lazily not updating their IPs. The only thing Disney has them recently beat on in your list is food.

Universal is building a ride for a key in house IP, The Fast and The Furious.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm curious as to what dropped Universal behind Disney after being your number 1 the last few visits. Your post docks Universal points for not exceeding expectations with their new attractions while Disney hasnt added much great at all in the same time frame. From most accounts here people have been disappointed in 7DMT, The Fantasy Land expansion, and NRJ.

Almost every single point you make as a reason to dock Universal applies to Disney two fold. A studios park which is a complete mess, an entire park which is starting to show its age, dated AA, lazily not updating their IPs. The only thing Disney has them recently beat on in your list is food.

I spent 3 hours in TWWHP after spending hours in Pandora and it's no contest, TWWHP still takes it. I still need to see Pandora at night, but a day vs day view it isn't even close.

UpAllNight

I'm curious as to what dropped Universal behind Disney after being your number 1 the last few visits. Your post docks Universal points for not exceeding expectations with their new attractions while Disney hasnt added much great at all in the same time frame. From most accounts here people have been disappointed in 7DMT, The Fantasy Land expansion, and NRJ. Id go so far as to say just the train that goes between Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley has better theming and immersion than what Disney has put out pre-Pandora.

Universal is building a ride for a key in house IP, The Fast and The Furious.

For me the key difference is that when I visited a year ago I was wowed by the technology in Universals offerings as I hadn't visited Orlando for a while. It had naturally lost that on this trip so it was a case of reriding and I don't think the majority of their rides come close to being as rerideable as Disneys. Partially because they lack the depth of some of Disneys best work, but also they throw you around a lot and it can be torturous doing too many in a row.

I get your point regarding DHS it is also a complete and utter mess, I posted about it recently saying I wouldn't return until it's sorted - but I'm atleast encouraged that change (all be it not enough) is already announced. Universal Studios, at this point haven't done that and have announced by what all accounts will be more of the same in F&F.

I don't want to come across like I dislike Uni...I love it, but their recent direction seems lazy whilst Disney appear to be investing well again.

I enjoyed Fallon, but I went on once and thought it was enough. I didn't see a need for it with so many other similar rides in the park. Likewise I don't see the need for F&F...what can it add to the resort that is missing currently? Kong was good but in my head I pictured more. Volcano Bay a disaster.

We spent more time watching shows this trip too, and taking in more of the on street entertainment and in this regard I feel like Disney are absolutely streets ahead.

phillip9698

For me the key difference is that when I visited a year ago I was wowed by the technology in Universals offerings as I hadn't visited Orlando for a while. It had naturally lost that on this trip so it was a case of reriding and I don't think the majority of their rides come close to being as rerideable as Disneys. Partially because they lack the depth of some of Disneys best work, but also they throw you around a lot and it can be torturous doing too many in a row.

I get your point regarding DHS it is also a complete and utter mess, I posted about it recently saying I wouldn't return until it's sorted - but I'm atleast encouraged that change (all be it not enough) is already announced. Universal Studios, at this point haven't done that and have announced by what all accounts will be more of the same in F&F.

I don't want to come across like I dislike Uni...I love it, but their recent direction seems lazy whilst Disney appear to be investing well again.

I enjoyed Fallon, but I went on once and thought it was enough. I didn't see a need for it with so many other similar rides in the park. Likewise I don't see the need for F&F...what can it add to the resort that is missing currently? Kong was good but in my head I pictured more. Volcano Bay a disaster.

We spent more time watching shows this trip too, and taking in more of the on street entertainment and in this regard I feel like Disney are absolutely streets ahead.

To be fair if attractions or parks were considered a disaster after only being open 3 days there are plenty of highly loved Disney attractions that would deserve that moniker.

IMO both parks seem to be aggressively trying to improve since WWHP opened. Universal has a chance to score big with Nintendoland as Disney does with Star Wars. I was just curious as while Universal has not been ahead of Disney for me even with the new additions, Disney certainly hasnt done anything to surpass Universal lately if someone already preferred Universal.

squidward

We've definitely become more Universal people the past few years. I don't get the negative comments about Islands or Universal Studios. The only section of Islands that needs some serious work is Marvel, and 90% of that comes from the mess that is the queue for Dr. Doom. Dudley could obviously use a complete overhaul as well. It smells, it's dirty, it's leaking all over the place. It's just a lazy ride.

Universal needs some work around New York. The theme there is bland. And I agree about the motion simulators. Enough already.

Volcano Bay, I saw that nightmare coming a mile away. Tapu Tapu either has to go, or standby lines have to implemented. You can't expect people to pay $70 for admission and only get to go on 4 or 5 slides. That's just silly.

As for Disney, the biggest issue is there is SO MUCH to do. Disney Springs is a lost cause. Magic Kingdom, they need to get off their butts and finish the work they're doing on exteriors. Cosmetic and paint work shouldn't be taking as long as it is. The Studios seems to be headed in the right direction, but that's going to be a while's away. Disney's real problem is Epcot. What used to be a 2 day park, has turned into a 1 day, if you milk it. Both sections are in disarray. Future World has so many crappy attractions, along with so much wasted space. World Showcase needs more rides, but not in the Frozen vein.

seascape

We've definitely become more Universal people the past few years. I don't get the negative comments about Islands or Universal Studios. The only section of Islands that needs some serious work is Marvel, and 90% of that comes from the mess that is the queue for Dr. Doom. Dudley could obviously use a complete overhaul as well. It smells, it's dirty, it's leaking all over the place. It's just a lazy ride.

Universal needs some work around New York. The theme there is bland. And I agree about the motion simulators. Enough already.

Volcano Bay, I saw that nightmare coming a mile away. Tapu Tapu either has to go, or standby lines have to implemented. You can't expect people to pay $70 for admission and only get to go on 4 or 5 slides. That's just silly.

As for Disney, the biggest issue is there is SO MUCH to do. Disney Springs is a lost cause. Magic Kingdom, they need to get off their butts and finish the work they're doing on exteriors. Cosmetic and paint work shouldn't be taking as long as it is. The Studios seems to be headed in the right direction, but that's going to be a while's away. Disney's real problem is Epcot. What used to be a 2 day park, has turned into a 1 day, if you milk it. Both sections are in disarray. Future World has so many crappy attractions, along with so much wasted space. World Showcase needs more rides, but not in the Frozen vein.
Disney Springs is wonderful. Great restaurants, shopping and free entertainment. If you like most adults, Epcots festivals are fantastic. MK is one of the best themeparks in the world and by far the best in Orlando. As for DHS its on its way to being the second best park in Orlando and AK with Pandora and RoL will keep its attendance above either of Universals two parks. And as for Universals so called third gate it will be not continue to lag behind both TL and BB in attendance.

squidward

Disney Springs is wonderful. Great restaurants, shopping and free entertainment. If you like most adults, Epcots festivals are fantastic. MK is one of the best themeparks in the world and by far the best in Orlando. As for DHS its on its way to being the second best park in Orlando and AK with Pandora and RoL will keep its attendance above either of Universals two parks. And as for Universals so called third gate it will be not continue to lag behind both TL and BB in attendance.

Opinions, which of course you are entitled to. However, to be fair, IoA has been voted by park guests as the best theme park in the world, every year since it opened. Pandora will keep attendance high at AK for about a year or so because it's something new. It does not (and will not) hold the same appeal that Potter or Star Wars does. Many people (I'd say probably the majority) feel as though Disney Springs is much more than an upscale mall with overpriced restaurants, that hold no appeal to kids. The Marketplace is still great, but who goes to Disney to shop at a Levi's store or Under Armour?

As for attendance, no one is arguing Disney's parks will always have higher attendance. It's Disney. That doesn't mean all their parks are better. If I had to rank Orlando's theme parks, this is how I would do it:

1.Magic Kingdom
2.Islands of Adventure
3.Discovery Cove
4.Universal Studios
5.Animal Kingdom
6.Sea World
7.Epcot
8.Hollywood Studios

We're spending 8 nights at Disney and 8 nights at Universal in July. We'll spend 3 days at Magic Kingdom and 1 day at every other Disney park. We'll spnd 4 days at each Universal and IoA. Granted, since we're onsite, we'll be taking breaks, but still, we find that Universal, overall, is a more enjoyable experience.

JT3000

I'm not sure "most adults" enjoy sampling overpriced food and looking at flowers. All special events at the parks are geared towards their own niche markets. They won't be enjoyed by everyone equally. I, an adult, find Epcot's especially boring.

As for DHS... :bored:

Casper Gutman

I'm with JT I don't get much out of Epcot. If I didn't have a park hopper I wouldn't go to Epcot and for that matter I would never buy a ticket just for a day at DHS.

DHS is under a large redo so no comment until we see how that works out. I've seen all the shows so it is basically a three ride park for me. Actually 4 I forgot the Muppets.

Epcot is just a lot of wasted space. Every area of that park could use some work. The World Show case is working for Disney, why don't they finish that off? Few more countries and some attractions. At least the crowd who likes all the festivals would like it even more and they get more people into the area. Future world? That needs a whole rethink on what is going on there.

WDW advantage is as a whole vacation stay, Universal is closing that gap for sure in that department. As far as attractions Universal is doing fine, new stuff coming constantly but they really do need to build something that is top tier. I'm hoping Nitendoland will be the next great area.

What drives me nuts is people treating Diagon like its ancient history - it opened LESS than three years ago! It seems longer because of the rate at which Uni is building. Yet many of the same folks (not you, of course, Corey) are willing to give Disney a pass for building very, very little for 15 years.

The Studios is in much better shape than MGM - it has a definite issue with too many similar rides in the entrance corridor, an issue it needs to address, but it still boasts the best land in Orlando. MGM is less than half a park with 1 amazing attractions and 3 very good ones (and 2 of those are screen based, for the record - and 1 is set to be demolished). SWL and Nintendoland mean both parks are getting big, exciting additions. In the meantime, Uni is getting a lackluster looking F&F ride and MGM is getting a huge space-wasting tribute to the worst instincts of WDW's management team - amazingly, the advantage goes to Uni.

Ranking the Orlando parks is interesting - I'd probably go

1) AK
2) IoA
3) Uni Studios
4) MK (its still a great park, but massive overcrowding and woefully inadequate capacity make it an unpleasant place to visit)
5) MGM
6) EPCOT (to anyone who remembers the late-80s Epcot, the modern version is like a punch in the throat - the opposite of fun)

As to being a full vacation destination, Uni's hotels are far more reasonably priced, I've found the service to be better, and the design of the resort lets you feel like you're in a comfy bubble, just like at WDW. Plus, its nice to be staying at a place that seems to be improving rather than at one where almost every element of the hotels reminds you of when they were better.

imperius

In n Out? Highly doubt it's coming to universal unless they are building a new plant near Florida. Also In n Out is overrated.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm with JT I don't get much out of Epcot. If I didn't have a park hopper I wouldn't go to Epcot and for that matter I would never buy a ticket just for a day at DHS.

DHS is under a large redo so no comment until we see how that works out. I've seen all the shows so it is basically a three ride park for me. Actually 4 I forgot the Muppets.

Epcot is just a lot of wasted space. Every area of that park could use some work. The World Show case is working for Disney, why don't they finish that off? Few more countries and some attractions. At least the crowd who likes all the festivals would like it even more and they get more people into the area. Future world? That needs a whole rethink on what is going on there.

WDW advantage is as a whole vacation stay, Universal is closing that gap for sure in that department. As far as attractions Universal is doing fine, new stuff coming constantly but they really do need to build something that is top tier. I'm hoping Nitendoland will be the next great area.

DHS is the worst park in the US, possibly the world right now. You're paying $100 for views of construction walls, and for access to restaurants with $16 burgers and chicken nuggets. Table service is so sparse that getting in is like hitting the lottery.

Epcot was sadly left in the 70s, and beyond Frozen there has been literally no new attraction there for 12 years.

If you want to spend $100 for access to ancient concerts, $30 drinks, and mediocre restaurants, I guess it's ok. Even the refurbished Soarin isn't spectacular, Eiffel Tower shaped like the letter C. Thanks but no thanks.

AK and MK are really the only parks of "value" anymore, and after spending some time in Pandora both in the daytime and at night it simply doesn't stand up to WWHP on any level. FoP is equal to FJ, but that's it. Holy overuse of black lights.

Casper Gutman

DHS is the worst park in the US, possibly the world right now. You're paying $100 for views of construction walls, and for access to restaurants with $16 burgers and chicken nuggets. Table service is so sparse that getting in is like hitting the lottery.

Epcot was sadly left in the 70s, and beyond Frozen there has been literally no new attraction there for 12 years.

If you want to spend $100 for access to ancient concerts, $30 drinks, and mediocre restaurants, I guess it's ok. Even the refurbished Soarin isn't spectacular, Eiffel Tower shaped like the letter C. Thanks but no thanks.

AK and MK are really the only parks of "value" anymore, and after spending some time in Pandora both in the daytime and at night it simply doesn't stand up to WWHP on any level. FoP is equal to FJ, but that's it. Holy overuse of black lights.

In general I agree with you (although I'd be a bit more generous to MGM, even with all the construction).

I wish Epcot was stuck in the 80s - instead, its stuck in the late 90s, which is far worse.

JoeCamel

I wonder if I went to DHS and then stopped by GS to complain I didn't get my money's worth if they would give me a refund????

Tom Morrow

I'm not really getting the DHS complaints. Yes, the park is kind of a mess, but what's currently open are the only attractions anyone really cared about anyway. Everything gone was just filler. Street's of America? Other than Christmas season, filler. HISTK Playground, LMA? Total filler. Backlot Tour was an embarrassing shell of its former self. The only issue, of course, is that a crowd for a complete theme park is currently crammed into 2/3rd's of the space.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm not really getting the DHS complaints. Yes, the park is kind of a mess, but what's currently open are the only attractions anyone really cared about anyway. Everything gone was just filler. Street's of America? Other than Christmas season, filler. HISTK Playground, LMA? Total filler. Backlot Tour was an embarrassing shell of its former self. The only issue, of course, is that a crowd for a complete theme park is currently crammed into 2/3rd's of the space.

People cared about the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, the Backlot Tour, and the HISTK playground which was always packed with kids.

They took away 1/3 of the filler that is HS. The only attractions of value are TTSM, RnRc, and ToT. LaunchBay is a joke, Indiana Jones is an outdated joke, Star Tours is ancient, and Frozen while funny is 1000% a filler attraction. :)

Tom Morrow

People cared about the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, the Backlot Tour, and the HISTK playground which was always packed with kids.

They took away 1/3 of the filler that is HS. The only attractions of value are TTSM, RnRc, and ToT. LaunchBay is a joke, Indiana Jones is an outdated joke, Star Tours is ancient, and Frozen while funny is 1000% a filler attraction. :)
I still love GMR, and I still enjoy Star Tours more than any of Universal's stationary simulator attractions. In general though I think the vast majority of visitors only cared about TOT, RnRc, TSMM, GMR, and Star Tours, Fantastmic, maybe Muppets and Indy for nostalgia... the rest being filler.

In other words, it's kind of the worst of the seven major theme parks in Orlando either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom