Pitchforks out for Universal and Comcast.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I think their decision to follow the already somewhat mediocre Kong with the very mediocre Fallon, and then F&F which will be the same darn thing as Kong, is going to bite them in the a--. WWoHP has made them think they are invincible, as if it's greatness makes it okay for everything else to be lackluster because people will come anyway.

I'll give you Fallon being mediocre, but every time I ride Kong there are LOTS of happy clapping people at the end of the ride and there is always a line, even in the express queue.

imperius

They will build FF and then move away from screens with the Dragon Challenege replacement and Nintendo while Disney will be building more screen rides. Then I will make this thread on the WDW section. Nothing wrong with screen when used right and Kong is a really good ride IMO. Beats just about everything Disney has put out lately outside of FOP.

tirian

Potter is the only part of Uni that appeals to me, but I've got to give the company credit for forcing Disney to innovate too. Strong competition is good for everyone.

Also, Uni Creative has already announced they are moving away from screens toward more physical attractions, and Nintendo has already stated their rides will not be screen-based.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Potter is the only part of Uni that appeals to me, but I've got to give them the company credit for forcing Disney to innovate too. Strong competition is good for everyone.

Also, Uni Creative has already announced they are moving away from screens toward more physical attractions, and Nintendo has already stated their rides will not be screen-based.
Have they actually announced this? Or is it just internet chatter? We've seen concepts and patents for more screen based ride systems, and the rumor mill also told us that Kong would have a lot of physical scenes in addition to the 360 degree scene from Hollywood. Then we were assured that F&F wouldn't be screen based.

imperius

The only "screen" patent lately is the projection one for the warp tubes. Trying to say that's an indication for Nintendo as a whole is a joke. The main patent is the ride vehicle which is on a track as seen by the "screens" warp tube patent also and then the coaster for DK.

tirian

Have they actually announced this? Or is it just internet chatter? We've seen concepts and patents for more screen based ride systems, and the rumor mill also told us that Kong would have a lot of physical scenes in addition to the 360 degree scene from Hollywood. Then we were assured that F&F wouldn't be screen based.
It was in an interview. I don't remember which one, because I don't usually watch Universal Creative videos. But it was definitely in an interview.

Tom Morrow

The only "screen" patent lately is the projection one for the warp tubes. Trying to say that's an indication for Nintendo as a whole is a joke. The main patent is the ride vehicle which is on a track as seen by the "screens" warp tube patent also and then the coaster for DK.
There's another one out there for a possible Dragons replacement that is a screen-based attraction, isn't there? And also, a patent drawing for a ride vehicle and track doesn't rule out heavy screen usage. The DK mine cart ride vehicle could very well still be slowly moving from screen scene to screen scene.
It was in an interview. I don't remember which one, because I don't usually watch Universal Creative videos. But it was definitely in an interview.

It wasn't this, was it? Because he kind of dances around the questions. "We choose the ride system that we feel is most appropriate for the story we wanted to tell." (In this case it just happened to be an unthemed theater simulator pod delivering a ride sensation nearly identical to Minions right next door.)

imperius

There's another one out there for a possible Dragons replacement that is a screen-based attraction, isn't there? And also, a patent drawing for a ride vehicle and track doesn't rule out heavy screen usage. The DK mine cart ride vehicle could very well still be slowly moving from screen scene to screen scene.

It wasn't this, was it? Because he kind of dances around the questions. "We choose the ride system that we feel is most appropriate for the story we wanted to tell." (In this case it just happened to be an unthemed theater simulator pod delivering a ride sensation nearly identical to Minions right next door.)

Dragons is supposed to be non-screens. The only thing I remember patent wise is the box train thing, but I don't remember if its screens or not. I trust the Uni insiders who say it's going elsewhere. I never heard otherwise on FF. That was also a Kong clone from my memory.

Tom Morrow

Dragons is supposed to be non-screens. The only thing I remember patent wise is the box train thing, but I don't remember if its screens or not. I trust the Uni insiders who say it's going elsewhere. I never heard otherwise on FF. That was also a Kong clone from my memory.
Well, I will try to remain positive and hopeful then. But I do think the triple play of Kong > Fallon > F&F will have at least some negative effect on the perception of UOR.

imperius

Well, I will try to remain positive and hopeful then. But I do think the triple play of Kong > Fallon > F&F will have at least some negative effect on the perception of UOR.
Which is the reason for the shift I've heard. Again, I like Kong a lot, meh on Fallon, and will wait and see on FF but not super optimistic. I care more about the Fallon's and the DMs then the Kings and Transformers.

JoeCamel

I am not sure where you got this? From day one it has been said this is a clone of Hollywood with a slightly different ride path and preshow. Nothing has been said that I heard that "assured F&F would not be screen based".

Disneyhead'71

I think their decision to follow the already somewhat mediocre Kong with the very mediocre Fallon, and then F&F which will be the same darn thing as Kong, is going to bite them in the a--. WWoHP has made them think they are invincible, as if its greatness makes it okay for everything else to be lackluster because people will come anyway.
Fallon has the highest guest satisfaction score of any attraction at the resort. Kong also does very well on guest surveys.

Tom Morrow

I am not sure where you got this? From day one it has been said this is a clone of Hollywood with a slightly different ride path and preshow. Nothing has been said that I heard that "assured F&F would not be screen based".
I'm possibly getting internet chatter mixed up, but I remember people insisting it would be a physically fast ride, or at least not literally Kong.
Fallon has the highest guest satisfaction score of any attraction at the resort. Kong also does very well on guest surveys.
I don't doubt the surveys but I have to wonder if they are being skewed, nearly everyone I know in person hates it.

mergatroid

Looking at Disney and Universal forums on here, I've come to the conclusion that a tiny minority of posters have an agenda of hating everything one side does regardless of how good or bad it is. That doesn't mean that everyone who says anything negative about one side fits this category, but there's some who perhaps do. I enjoy both parks and have given mild criticism and gushing remarks to both, there's just no conflict of interest to me?

JT3000

If you take your hate of simulators so seriously, shouldn't you be busy complaining about the one Disney just opened? How did you even find the time to come here and remind us of the composition of Universal's rides? Because they've been riding the screen-based attraction wave since before Comcast, so I'm not sure why you're even complaining about them. The only thing Comcast is guilty of is pouring a ton of money into the parks, very unlike the previous ownership.

UpAllNight

Well it's all relative when comparing WDW to UOR you're basically comparing 2 of the best resorts in the world, so neither can ever be considered poor.

But I will say on my 3 previous visits to Orlando, Universal has ranked as my number 1, and I now put them firmly behind Disney. (Giving this info for context - I'm not a 'fanboy' of any resort in-particular, but I judge on merit).

My reasons;

- They've not hit it out the park since Potter.

- Several notable failures including Kong (great but not what it could have been). The Hulk rebuild (Weak story implementation, still rough) Fallon (decent laugh but stupid to build when next to so many similar experiences & Volcano Bay (Over hyped and underdelivered)

- Nagging suspicion now that they're 1 hit wonders

-lazy to keep building these rides whilst not updating their key in house IP, J-Park/World. AAs looking dated.

-the studios park is a mess. So many similar rides.

-Islands, other than Hogsmede starting to show its age badly now.

-food options

- carnival games everywhere

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom