Pirates wall and boats

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
goofntink said:
Hey Marni, there is a new thread that shows the boats lined up all nice and pretty, that just got posted.

I literally just came from that thread. This looks like the PotC boats - what else is out of use with a fleet? As I understand it they will be like knew when July comes, but are being reused.

goofntink

Sorry.. Line-X is a protective spray on product mainly used to protect beds of pickup trucks that replaces old drop in bedliners. Disney has been using it on the seating on the parking lot trams and even used it on the seating of the "it's a small world ride". They like it because you can add color to it, and because it so durable. In other words, saves Mickey money on painting costs.

rob45

Man I can't wait to see the improved POTC in October. I am also looking forward to viewing the new movie. Thanks for any updates on my favorate attraction, I hope you can post some pictures later.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
marni1971 said:
.... STOLPort was a Short Take Off and Landing airstrip just to the east of the MK autoplaza. It wasn`t officially used, has lots of urban legends, and today is a wider than average concrete roadway from and to nowhere.
I thought it was "officially" used. Granted it was for a very short time but I am pretty sure that a small commercial airline (Swanee Air I think) used it for a short time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not a lot to see. Lots of Imagineers and engineers ripping out the support infrasturcture in a dry building thinking "how will we get this done by July 7th, never mind the end of June!"

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
marni1971 said:
Not a lot to see. Lots of Imagineers and engineers ripping out the support infrasturcture in a dry building thinking "how will we get this done by July 7th, never mind the end of June!"
I am a little concerned about the rather short time frame for this major refurb. I have no doubt that it will be done on time I am just worried about what corners are going to be cut to make the dead line. I was really hoping for a IASW style refurb. But only time will tell.

-SIR-

This is just my guess but I remember hearing the the IASW building had lots of major issues besides effects etc. I don't think the pirates building has quite as extensive damage as the IASW building did. All they really are doing in pirates is adding a few new scenes and refreshing the old ones with new effects, clean costumes, fresh paint etc..... im sure the effect will be great though. I think pirates has more draw than IASW does so they are trying to get it back up more quickly this time too.

napnet

Master Yoda said:
I am a little concerned about the rather short time frame for this major refurb. I have no doubt that it will be done on time I am just worried about what corners are going to be cut to make the dead line. I was really hoping for a IASW style refurb. But only time will tell.

I know Disney usually has no problem delaying the opening of attractions but this one is tied in with the movie so it probably wont change. You never know how much can be done if you throw enough manpower and money at it :) hopefully there is an army of people working on it to make the deadline.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Master Yoda said:
I thought it was "officially" used. Granted it was for a very short time but I am pretty sure that a small commercial airline (Swanee Air I think) used it for a short time.

I`m not sure. One myth is it wasn`t used apart from one emmergency landing by a prop. Once down it didn`t have enough room to take off so departed the World on the back of a truck. It was however marked as operational on charts for a time - though who had STOLcraft in 1971??

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
napnet said:
I know Disney usually has no problem delaying the opening of attractions but this one is tied in with the movie so it probably wont change. You never know how much can be done if you throw enough manpower and money at it :) hopefully there is an army of people working on it to make the deadline.
This is very true. I was involved with the Extreme Home makeover in Hastings Fl so I have seen a house that under normal circumstances would take 6 months to build go from bare ground to finished house in a week.

bgraham34

Master Yoda said:
This is very true. I was involved with the Extreme Home makeover in Hastings Fl so I have seen a house that under normal circumstances would take 6 months to build go from bare ground to finished house in a week.

Thats also with a lot of things built offsite and hauled in. And 1000 volunteers who work for free and many have long hours. Disney I am sure will not have as many people working on it but I have no doubts it will done in time.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
marni1971 said:
I`m not sure. One myth is it wasn`t used apart from one emmergency landing by a prop. Once down it didn`t have enough room to take off so departed the World on the back of a truck. It was however marked as operational on charts for a time - though who had STOLcraft in 1971??

There is another dirt takeoff and landing in WDW according to Flight Sim 2004 it is called Epcot Center with the ID of 44fd. It maybe a fictional one, but I wouldn't think Flight Sim 2004 would be that inaccurate.

goofntink

Airline was Shawnee Airlines,flew from McCoy. now Orlando International. Planes were Dehavilland 19 seat Twin otters. My Father has pics somewhere, we are trying to find them. Did you know? The runway was to short when they brought in Mickey 1, and they actually landed it on World Drive, when it was brought here to be put on permanant display at MGM..Runway was used as recently as February 16th. Was at Stol getting something out of one of our containers, and at about 3 pm a plane landed, dumped it's cargo and left. Found out afterwards it was for the Presidential visit. Also, if you think about it, how did Micheal Jackson always seem to appear at the park and noone saw him arrive at OIA?:lookaroun Also,we do most of our work at night after parks are closed , and trust me that runway is used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom